Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is Brendan O Connor an embarrassment?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

You may have missed it just now but I have seen Brendan O'Connor in the new Mace ad. You or I might see it later while I'm watching the Rugby now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

You may have missed it just now but I have seen Brendan O'Connor in the new Mace ad. You or I might see it later while I'm watching the Rugby now.

have seen it. at least he appreciates self depreciation. he smiles his gargoyle smile at a baby who bursts into tears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I'm not one for jumping on bandwagons, but last week's show in particular was just a car crash from start to finish.

From a TV production point of view, this guy was virtually un-produceable. I watch the show regularly, never find it to be note-worthingly good, but when it's bad it's just seriously embarrassing.

His crude humour was in overdrive last week, joking repeatedly about that Operation Transformation guy leaving his wife now that he's lost weight, something 'going on' between him and the teenage girl on the panel etc etc...then his complete incompetence when interviewing that Reservoir Dogs actor really showed. Granted to say he was a tad eccentric would be an understatement, but any professional host would have been able to reign him in and prevent the ridiculously long and weird cringefest at the end when yer man started reading an obscure poem and completely isolated the audience in the process.

I've also noticed that he regularly talks over his guests and his line of questioning with guests is all over the place, really frustrating to watch and reduced to innuendo at any opportunity.

I guess he's in the teething stage of his TV career, but usually when networks 'take a chance' on someone it's usually because their charm/charisma/likeability outlines their potential. I'm not sure how this guy qualifies at all on any of those fronts tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

he has probably had no training as a host. neither has someone like Craig Doyle, though the latter is somewhat amiable and does not need to be crude every minute.
    Tubs has his critics but at least he has studied how to moderate a show instead of being plonked in front of the camera and learning by doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Salt001

I quite like him as a journo, don't always agree with him but I can find his articles interesting at times,sometimes even funny

However I can not under any circumstances watch him on television:eek:.

I have tried many,many times.
    You know 'ah sure there's nothing else on' or 'maybe someone interesting will be on' or even 'have a glass of wine and see what he's on about tonight ' :D.
    Nope he's still terrible under any and all circumstances .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Is he an embarrassment? Probably. But you need to understand that he is the Niall O'Tobáin for the new millenium. The Ultimate Corkman. The Über-Langer, if you will! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Disco George Murphy

jimgoose wrote: »
    he is the Niall O'Tobáin for the new millenium.

Are you joking (no pun intended)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Are you joking (no pun intended)?
    Sadly, no. And happily, yes. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Just to defend brendan re the comments at start of thread about making fun of Gino, the chef. I saw that chef on BBC Saturday kitchen shortly after his appearance on the Saturday night show and the same routine was acted out with the play on the word beach etc. We can therefore assume it was not rudeness on o Connors behalf, more a set piece joke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mumblesalot101

He's an offence to decency and good taste! That and a smug idiot! remember seeing a clip on the news a few years back where he started heckling a reclaim the streets protest about how they were loudly, obnoxiously forcing themselves down an uncaring publics throats (or some such), pots, kettles black teapots?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

Why the fcuk is Brendan O connor still on tv, unbelieveably poor quality tv and he's interviewing the guy from savage eye , what a waste of tax payers money , savage eye included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭WayneScott

Sorry to go against this but I like o'connor . I think he's ten times better than tubridy
    that does not make him any good. ten times zero talent is still zero talent

• Registered Users Posts: 11 realeoin

Yeah he's a complete tosser

Advertisement