Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bye Bye Grants

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭irishbarb

Well I am moving to Cork in September for college, my parents can literally not afford to give me a cent towards college or support me, and the grant will pay my rent only. I have no idea how I am going to buy food, never mind going out. I'm looking for a job, but with my lack of experience and the way things are right now, it's not looking likely that I'll get anything. I was on the dole this year after I left school, and could not secure a job for the life of me, even though I've sent out about 60 CVs. I think it's funny that the dole will give me 400 a month to sit at home all day everyday in my parents house, but nearly 100 less to move away and educate myself.

I'm going to have to go to college as well as work evenings and weekends to put myself through college. Anyway, my point was that there are some of us out there that really rely on the grant to get an education. Not all of us have a nice few grand of college savings in the bank, or Mammy and Daddy to support us. Not a penny of my grant will ever be used to buy drink.

Advertisement