Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

earth-like planet found 600 LY away

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

This sounds like a load of hype to me !
    Remember that C4 scifi show
    " escape to the sun " ?????
    Very disappointing !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

What I want to know is what's the point of this? If any of those planets are found to be similar to earth, what then? are they too far away to exploit for resources? then there's the argument of whether or not this is something we should even do... I mean, what is all this exploration meant to lead to?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

This sounds like a load of hype to me !
    Remember that C4 scifi show
    " escape to the sun " ?????
    Very disappointing !

Where people were shown 3 different properties on the sun?...it was never gonna last long in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

I mean, what is all this exploration meant to lead to?

Sexy aliens?

mathie wrote: »
    Sexy aliens?

but what's the point in knowing there's sexy aliens there, if we can't reach them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

but what's the point in knowing there's sexy aliens there, if we can't reach them

Plus won't they be pissed off at how we have portrayed them over the years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

earth-like planet found 600 LY away

FYP

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Plus won't they be pissed off at how we have portrayed them over the years?

but they need not know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

600 light years away there's a telescope pointed at us with astronmer's disscussing us

"hey dave look at this, a new planet like ours, colonising here we come"

"nah tim, look closer they're savages, blowing each other up left right and center, we shouldn't bother"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

f0ggy92 wrote: »
    600 light years away there's a telescope pointed at us with astronmer's disscussing us

"hey dave look at this, a new planet like ours, colonising here we come"

"nah tim, look closer they're savages, blowing each other up left right and center, we shouldn't bother"

Those aliens sure have similar names to ours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

They can show us their tits?

mathie wrote: »
    They can show us their tits?

ah yes! still, it'd be a bit of a tease though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

Fear Uladh wrote: »
    Those aliens sure have similar names to ours.

You never know:pac:
    What I want to know is what's the point of this? If any of those planets are found to be similar to earth, what then?are they too far away to exploit for resources? then there's the argument of whether or not this is something we should even do... I mean, what is all this exploration meant to lead to?

An Avatar sequel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Vicxas wrote: »
    Well to reach it we need to invent some fast ass travel method. Regular propulsion just wont cut it really

Easy. We just make a big neutrino & hop aboard & this will get us there faster than the speed of light.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Hope the scientists also discover whether it's overpopulated and on the way to being polluted to bits before we all hightail and set off for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭jimmymal

What I want to know is what's the point of this? If any of those planets are found to be similar to earth, what then? are they too far away to exploit for resources? then there's the argument of whether or not this is something we should even do... I mean, what is all this exploration meant to lead to?

It might be a good idea to know as much of our surrounding planets as possible. Knowledge tends to be a useful tool in general and has been throughout our history, maybe it will be in the future, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Hope the scientists also discover whether it's overpopulated and on the way to being polluted to bits before we all hightail and set off for it.

There is no way anyone else in the universe is as stupid as we are.

jimmymal wrote: »
    It might be a good idea to know as much of our surrounding planets as possible. Knowledge tends to be a useful tool in general and has been throughout our history, maybe it will be in the future, who knows.

:sigh: yes I do realise that. do you not get what I'm asking? it may be interesting to know about other earth like planets, but in reality is it really of any use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Only 600 light years? Good, we can ask them for a loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Ah, but do we have the spice to reach it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Its Terra Nova

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

LiamN wrote: »
    Now we just need an FTL drive..

or a wormhole

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I dont know why they are reporting it as "Earth Like"........they dont even know if it is a Gas or solid planet as of yet.
    True. But most of the planets found that are close to the parent star are small rocky worlds, not gas giants. That planet is 25% closer than we are. Now I said most and not all but there has been a good few gas giant planets found close to the host star. Another thing as well they said the planet is 2.4 times the size of earth. That would be a very small gas planet, possible the smallest ever. So my money is on a rocky world. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

but in reality is it really of any use?

Yes it is, if someday you hope we as a people will venture out and set foot on another planet or even call a new planet home we first need a viable destination. Just becuase th first step is now and may take multiple generations to complete every step in that process doesnt mean the very first one is not worthwhile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Its Terra Nova

I didn't think anyone but me watched that horrifying train wreck of a show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Hyperbole - planet is in the habitable 'goldilocks' zone, 2.5 times the size, regular orbit of 290 days, close enough for the journos to call it earth-like.

Also need to know the mass of the planet.

g = GM/r^2

formula is actually g-242/3434 +1 - 1 = 4=2 +34/239823/ef^23

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

3,600 trillion miles away.

Ah Bollocks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Earth Lite.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Only way to be able to get there would be to bend time and space like a worm hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

well at least we have about 600 years to prepare before they try to wipe us out for broadcasting x-factor

Advertisement