Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** CAO - a few important points! ***

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Hi im a repeat student and i was born in america so i have an exemption from Irish.. last year I sent away an exemption form to the NUI Collages proving I was exempt. Just wondering if i would need to do that again this year?

Just to be sure you should ring somebody and find out for certain. You don't want to be sitting with no course in August because you didn't make one phone call:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Are my results confidential? As in will CAO give my results to places such as on campus accommodation?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

It won't let me save an empty Level 7 list. I have one course on it (which I definitely don't want) and I want to take it off but I can't.

If I get an offer from them do I just reject it? Or do you have to accept one of them?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Naomi00 wrote: »
    It won't let me save an empty Level 7 list. I have one course on it (which I definitely don't want) and I want to take it off but I can't.

If I get an offer from them do I just reject it? Or do you have to accept one of them?

You can just leave it on, it is completely separate from the Level 8 list.

What will happen in August is that you will get two offers, one from the Level 8 list, and one from the Level 6/7 list - you can just reject the Level 6/7 offer, so there's no harm in having a course on the list, even if you never intend to actually accept the offer!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

My son is away at his dads for a few days and I cant get through to him despite ringing and texting. A letter of sorts arrived today from CAO and says on the front "Very important: Do not ignore. You may need to take immediate action"

Did others get this and what is it about? I wont open it without his permission but am now panicking about what to do if I cant get him for the rest of the day.

EDIT: He just text me telling me I could open it and it was a statement of his course choices and telling him he could change them up to 1st July....It arrived today. Joke!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭IslandKid

ive forgotten just about EVERYTHING my career guidance counsellor told me about getting my results haha, so could anyone fill me in on whats to be done again? if i get my offer, i accept within how long, then what about accomodation?

p.s where online are we able to access our results, and do they send you the results by mail? what do we need to access our results online?

thanks so much! apologize for all the questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

IslandKid wrote: »
    ive forgotten just about EVERYTHING my career guidance counsellor told me about getting my results haha, so could anyone fill me in on whats to be done again? if i get my offer, i accept within how long, then what about accomodation?

p.s where online are we able to access our results, and do they send you the results by mail? what do we need to access our results online?

thanks so much! apologize for all the questions

The results come out on the 15th August. You can collect them from your school (opening times would vary, usually around 9 I think). To get them online, you need a PIN that would have been given to you by your school a few months ago.

The first round offers are on the 20th August. You'll need your CAO number and password. On your CAO form you'll see 2 offers, one from Level 8 and one from Level 7, with "Accept" beside each of them. If you want one of them you just click on it. For the first round you have 1 week to reply, by 5.15pm on Monday 27th August.

You should be looking at accommodation now, if you have a good idea of where you'll be going. If you're not sure where you'll end up, have an idea of which places you'd go for in either college so you'll know what to do when you get your offer. A lot of student accommodation will actually be full now, so you can put your name on the waiting lists...you don't need to know for sure that you'll get your course to apply, but you might have to place a deposit that you could lose if you end up cancelling it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭IslandKid

The results come out on the 15th August. You can collect them from your school (opening times would vary, usually around 9 I think). To get them online, you need a PIN that would have been given to you by your school a few months ago.

The first round offers are on the 20th August. You'll need your CAO number and password. On your CAO form you'll see 2 offers, one from Level 8 and one from Level 7, with "Accept" beside each of them. If you want one of them you just click on it. For the first round you have 1 week to reply, by 5.15pm on Monday 27th August.

You should be looking at accommodation now, if you have a good idea of where you'll be going. If you're not sure where you'll end up, have an idea of which places you'd go for in either college so you'll know what to do when you get your offer. A lot of student accommodation will actually be full now, so you can put your name on the waiting lists...you don't need to know for sure that you'll get your course to apply, but you might have to place a deposit that you could lose if you end up cancelling it.

fantastic thank you. what time are the results available online on the 15th? and what time should we log on on cao.ie on the 20th to see what offers we have? (or are they sent via mail)

also, i have put myself down for accommodation in UCD.number 186 in the list or something. so what happens with that in relation to me accepting my offer for UCD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

The CAO offers are out online at 6am on the 20th, and they get posted and have arrived on that day too. (:
    I'm not 100% certain, possibly wrong :L but I think the results are out at midday online on the SEC website... /:

IslandKid wrote: »
    fantastic thank you. what time are the results available online on the 15th? and what time should we log on on cao.ie on the 20th to see what offers we have? (or are they sent via mail)

also, i have put myself down for accommodation in UCD.number 186 in the list or something. so what happens with that in relation to me accepting my offer for UCD?

I think its midday for the results, and early in the morning for the CAO offers...around 6am or so. Nothing will be sent to your email, you'll have to go to the site yourself and log on.

I'm not sure of the procedure with accommodation in UCD. Find your confirmation of booking or the terms and conditions on their website, they've probably given you guidelines for what to do when you get your offer :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭EDmon

T

So, What happens with second round offers , When do you receive them ?

EDmon wrote: »
    So, What happens with second round offers , When do you receive them ?

All the dates are in the table here. They come out on the 30th of August, to be accepted by the 5th of September.

You may not necessarily get a second round offer. You can only be offered courses that were higher on your list than your first round offer. For example, if you were offered your fourth choice in round 1, you may be offered any of your first 3 (the highest that you will have qualified for) in the second round. If you originally got offered your number 1 course, you will definitely NOT receive a second round offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭EDmon

Is there absolutely no way to make a change to your CAO at this stage AUG 1st ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

EDmon wrote: »
    Is there absolutely no way to make a change to your CAO at this stage AUG 1st ?

Unfortunately, no. There's no way you can make any changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 katierab

Do you get more than one offer in the first round?? Like is it possible to get offers for choices 1, 2 and 3 on your CAO or is it just choice 1 if you have the points and requirements?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 RC92

So i'm not waiting on LC results as i dropped out in December and reapplied to the cao, i got no offer today(round zero) Normal or not? A wee bit worried now.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

brother your screwed :/

jk Offers based on the leaving certificate results
    will be issued

• Registered Users Posts: 20 RC92

Thanks for the info man.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭McGarnagle92

brownlad wrote: »
    brother your screwed :/

jk Offers based on the leaving certificate results
    will be issued

do you know when?
    or is it just with the other offers round 1 and 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

do you know when?
    or is it just with the other offers round 1 and 2?

sorry dint finish the post....20th of august!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭toadpenguin

Probably a painfully simple question, but I'm just applying for the first time and want to make sure I don't make any mistakes.

On the online application form, after the personal details section (name, address, telephone etc.) there's a section entitled "Qualifications & Assessment Summary", telling me to "Please tick the qualification/assessment section(s) that are relevant to you.". The options include Irish Leaving Certificate Exams (1985-2013), 2002-2013 FETAC Level 5/6 (NCVA Level 2/3) and so on. There's also options of "Further Education" and "Third-Level Higher Education".

Is this section dealing with qualifications and exams which you have already done, or ones which you intend to do? Right now I'm assuming I should just tick the Irish Leaving Certificate Exams (1985-2013) box, as I'm doing the Leaving Cert. Is this wrong? Should I have other boxes ticked, or even none at all?

I'd appreciate the opinion of someone a bit wiser and calmer than me right now :o

Advertisement