Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why has this not been done yet?

Options
  • 06-12-2011 1:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

I'm sure most of you are aware of the basic principles of PAYE tax - you get taxed at 20% on the first 36.4k you earn and if you earn more it's taxed at 41%.

Upon reading the numerous comments and reactions to the budget, the general consensus seems to be "the poor are paying the most and we don't like this."

Why is there not a second cut off point of say, 75/80k for taxation at a higher level, say 50 or even 60%? Honestly, why has this not been proposed yet? I'm only guessing but I'd say that any party that put this forward would receive a very positive reaction from the general public, (a quick look at the CSO indicates that the average salary is around 35/40k per year, and people are hardly going to reject a tax on the rich!) possibly enough of a reaction to get themselves a place in government in the next elections!

I'm aware this would have at best a negligible effect on the state of the country but Ireland seems to be a very populist country at the moment and it would pretty much put a halo over someone's head, in the people's eyes, if they pulled it off. :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

I'm sure most of you are aware of the basic principles of PAYE tax - you get taxed at 20% on the first 36.4k you earn and if you earn more it's taxed at 41%.

Upon reading the numerous comments and reactions to the budget, the general consensus seems to be "the poor are paying the most and we don't like this."

Why is there not a second cut off point of say, 75/80k for taxation at a higher level, say 50 or even 60%? Honestly, why has this not been proposed yet? I'm only guessing but I'd say that any party that put this forward would receive a very positive reaction from the general public, (a quick look at the CSO indicates that the average salary is around 35/40k per year, and people are hardly going to reject a tax on the rich!) possibly enough of a reaction to get themselves a place in government in the next elections!

I'm aware this would have at best a negligible effect on the state of the country but Ireland seems to be a very populist country at the moment and it would pretty much put a halo over someone's head, in the people's eyes, if they pulled it off. :confused:

this^

hondasam wrote: »
    I earn over 75k* so please take this to the Politics forum where the masses wont discuss it and I wont end up paying more tax.

:P
    might, or might not be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Why is anyone in the public service getting paid more than 75/80k? If we got rid of those we wouldn't need much for tax increases and most will still show up for work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Let the €40-50k a year, middle incomers pay for it.

That'll teach them for being underachievers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

Saila wrote: »
    this^

I don't think you get what I'm saying.
    Getting back into office is something that motivates politicians, sometimes more so than actually doing the country some good.
    The entire country is whinging and moaning about the poor paying for the rich people's mistakes etc.
    A politician/political party that puts forward something that might actually make even some people think the country is a bit fairer because of it would be doing themselves a great service.
    Why have they not done so yet?

• Advertisement

Getting back into office is something that motivates politicians, sometimes more so than actually doing the country some good.
    The entire country is whinging and moaning about the poor paying for the rich people's mistakes etc.
    A politician/political party that puts forward something that might actually make even some people think the country is a bit fairer because of it would be doing themselves a great service.
    Why have they not done so yet?

Because the vast majority people are stupid and only pay attention to politics a week before the elections. They then make poor voting choices & pay the consequences for the next five or ten years.

They are too stupid to educate themselves or ever ask for real social or political change & expect the government to mammy them when things go wrong.

People get the governments they deserve, so if your government are arse raping you, it's because you put your butt in the air with a sign on it saying "fuck me hard big boy".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Let's over-tax to pay for our overspending! Genius!

ditto. the top 5% of the countries earners pay about 50% of the countries total tax. and the top 1% of earners contribute about 25% of the total tax take for the country. in simple terms if you take too much from them they set up business somewhere else really. better to have 50% of **** than 100% of * if you know what I mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

Two very simple answers to this one.

1 People who earn over 75k pay 48% of all the income tax paid in this state already. They pay proportionally far far more of their earned income in tax than the rest of us. (I'm not one of them so not defending my own corner btw)
    2. They are also the people who have the means to fcuk off oversaes and get probably better money there, if we tax them on to the plane, we'l miss the tax they currently pay. This happened in the eighties when they were effectively paying 62p out of every pound they earned.

Good idea until you look at the numbers OP.

Hard luck, Try again.

edit: Goddam you Saila, you got there first, and I think your figures are better than mine !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

You obviously weren't around in the 80s. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Maybe because those who earn over 80,000 euro have the ambition, skill and education to earn that much and have the tools to create jobs other than their own and if you strangle that ambition then you cost lower paid jobs. 41% tax seems fair enough when you consider the other taxes on top of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

ditto. the top 5% of the countries earners pay about 50% of the countries total tax. and the top 1% of earners contribute about 25% of the total tax take for the country.

This is wrong.
    johnr1 wrote: »
    1 People who earn over 75k pay 48% of all the income tax paid in this state already.

This is probably right.
    They pay proportionally far far more of their earned income in tax than the rest of us

This is wrong.

You guys are ignoring VAT and other charges such as the TV licence which are essentially flat taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

a higher tax rate is morally wrong. You shouldn't be punished for how hard you've worked and successful you are. Everyone should be on the same rate. It must be very demoralising to have half your income taken away just because you busted your balls to get where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

ditto. the top 5% of the countries earners pay about 50% of the countries total tax.

Figures????

I also don't think you mean total tax do you?

I ask because it's a bit off from the Pareto principle...and for some weird ****ing reason that is nearly always applicable to just about everything.

Figures????

I also don't think you mean total tax do you?

According to this PDF a total of ~34Bn was collected of which ~14.1Bn was income taxes and ~10.2Bn was VAT.

I've looked online before for studies done on how much people pay on tax as a percentage of their income (all taxes).

There's literally nothing. I guess they don't want middle income earners to realise how much they're being fleeced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

This is wrong.

This is probably right.

This is wrong.

You guys are ignoring VAT and other charges such as the TV licence which are essentially flat taxes.

High earners don't pay VAT or the TV licence? News to me.

I'm sick of the begrudgery directed at people who do well for themselves. That's all it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

The rich will leave the country if we raise their taxes! No word on the hundereds of thousands of less well off people leaving though

mconigol wrote: »
    High earners don't pay VAT or the TV licence? News to me.

What? Where did I say that?
    I'm sick of the begrudgery directed at people who do well for themselves. That's all it is.

Relax. It a discussion on tax. Nobody's gonna steal your potatoes.

Relax. Nobody's gonna steal your potatoes.

What a great line!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

cosanostra wrote: »
    The rich will leave the country if we raise their taxes! No word on the hundereds of thousands of less well off people leaving though

Exactly.
    This is a bullshít waffle answer spewed out by the very ones earning this kind of money. Only a very tiny proportion of people will up pegs and leave the country so they can pay less tax. People usually emigrate out of financial neccesity, if they were earning a good living here most wouldn't even consider it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

cosanostra wrote: »

That's BS re: the rich people, though often quoted. Do you really believe that someone who earns even 70k after tax is going to be bothered too much by a reduction in take home pay to say 68k. Not a chance.

However, politicians generally being the greedy, self-interested fools that they are would be bothered by such a reduction. Heard some of them on the radio a few weeks ago talking about not penalising the middle-class in society who are on salaries of under 100k! 100k?! Get real...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Why is there not a second cut off point of say, 75/80k for taxation at a higher level, say 50 or even 60%?

So where's the incentive to start earning big money?

60%? are you off your fúcking head?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Relax. It a discussion on tax. Nobody's gonna steal your potatoes.

Damm right! Don't live in Ireland so not skin off my nose anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

we should all just get paid €50 a week to pick spuds in a field, that'd be the best thing for us

smash wrote: »
    So where's the incentive to start earning big money?

60%? are you off your fúcking head?

Why so? Isn't 60% close to the tax every Tom, Dick and Harry pay on petrol?! It's a misconception that you can't tax more than 50%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

MrThrifty wrote: »
    Why so? Isn't 60% close to the tax every Tom, Dick and Harry pay on petrol?!

That's a whole lot different than income tax ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Its 20% on the first €32,800 if you are single with no dependent children and and €36,800 if you have dependent kids. After that its 41%.

Also intersting to comapre us to other countires in terms of when you hit the higher rate

Income level at which top tax rate is hit (single person)

Single Person
    US (Boston) $373,650 40.3%
    Germany €250,731 45%
    Spain (Madrid) €175,000 44.9%
    UK £150,000 50%
    France €70,830 41%
    Ireland €32,800 48%

Why is there not a second cut off point of say, 75/80k for taxation at a higher level, say 50 or even 60%?

Will you go home out of that, 60% tax for people who have worked hard to get themselves a higher paying job? Where is the incentive for people to work in these jobs then, why would people do them. 41% is already a crazy amount of money to have to hand over as it is and you expect people to pay more.

Why would people put up with the pressures and responsibilities, long hours, more than likely extra years of education when they are earning little or nothing. some people haven't got a clue its drives me insane when I see crap like this expecting people who have worked hard to do better for themselves only to have to hand it all over in bloody tax.

Higher earners also spend more which means they contribute more to vat, they usually have more expensive cars therefore contribute more through vrt etc. But of course some people are incapable of understanding this.

MrThrifty wrote: »
    That's BS re: the rich people, though often quoted. Do you really believe that someone who earns even 70k after tax is going to be bothered too much by a reduction in take home pay to say 68k. Not a chance.

I would, if you took 50 euro of me I be bothered, never mind 2k. Your not a bloody millionaire if your earning 70k per year, 2k is still a significant amount of money for a person on that level of salary.

The people earning higher amounts of money are paying much more tax anyway. They are already paying out a fortune of their salary after, mostly, working much much harder to earn it. Why bother your arse working so hard if you are only penalised even more for it. I can't put into words how much this issue bugs me.

And I don't pay the higher rate at all by the way as I don't earn that much.

• Advertisement

thomasm wrote: »
    Income level at which top tax rate is hit (single person)

Single Person
    US (Boston) $373,650 40.3%
    Germany €250,731 45%
    Spain (Madrid) €175,000 44.9%
    UK £150,000 50%
    France €70,830 41%
    Ireland €32,800 48%

Given that you have deliberately misled folk with at least some of the above selective stats, the info should all be treated as questionable. E.g. Top tax rate in UK is 50%, BUT a fair comparison to us should have considered their 40% rate which applies to amounts over 35k, much like here eh, putting exchange rates aside?!

Edit: aghh, so you're saying we're 48% here and not 41% or whatever? Have you then taken all levies and secondary taxes into account for other countries as well as differences in tax free allowance systems and amounts?!

Advertisement