Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackrock College Clash with Leinster Academy

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭vinny chase

Actually, that's what I was referring to when I said CoI schools would have to be funded.

Now, point out where that stops us withdrawing funding from Catholic schools?

Don't try and change your argument now.

You specifically stated: "all the Catholic schools should be taken over by the State"- I posted the Constitutional references in response to that specifically.

You're still ignoring the simple fact as well that the private school effectively save the exchequer a significant amount of money as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Don't try and change your argument now.

You specifically stated: "all the Catholic schools should be taken over by the State"- I posted the Constitutional references in response to that specifically.

You're still ignoring the simple fact as well that the private school effectively save the exchequer a significant amount of money as well.

No, they'd (we'd) be free to establish their own, unfunded ones. As is, the Catholic Church's role in Irish education has to be diminished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭vinny chase

Wow I could of sworn this was a Rugby forum people, hint hint

Apologies; but it is loosely relevant (the last couple of posts excepted) around the issue of funding of rugby coaching and facilities in the private schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭Blut2

Of course it's supposition, in this instance there's no way of knowing what would happen until we finally end this bizarre practice. When we can afford Garda Stations and Nurising homes we can give back this luxury grant.

I think either you misunderstood or completely ignored the main thesis of my post. My point was both the government and opposition parties have conducted research on this issue that shows its cheaper, both in education costs per student, and overall education costs for the state, to subsidise private schools than to withdraw the funding and have a large number of private school students transfer to state schools. This is pretty much the exact opposite of "there's no way of knowing what would happen", a large number of people know exactly what would happen thanks to carrying out in-depth research on the issue. And given that have chosen to not do precisely what youre arguing in favour of.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Bigbellyman

I understand an apology has been issued to the school

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I understand an apology has been issued to the school

source?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Bigbellyman

Staff member

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Then I'd probably take the fact that they have issued an apology with a pinch of salt until something has officially been stated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭GavMan

No, they'd (we'd) be free to establish their own, unfunded ones. As is, the Catholic Church's role in Irish education has to be diminished.

And if we simply removed the Church's role in education tomorrow, do you understand what the consequence would be?

First and foremost, take a board of management for example. Positions left unfilled by church reps would have to be replaced by lay members. They would have to be trained, payed for, etc. Not yet have I mentioned that you'd have to fork out for facilities and equipment to run schools

Has has been mentioned here, remove state funding and we can be reasonably sure that Private schools would loose the majority of its pupils. Having worked (as a rugby coach as it happens) in a private school, I would guess 75% based on conversations with the principle and staff of the school on the issue.

Therefore, those students go to public schools, pupil:teacher ratios are out of whack, extra teachers have to be hired to sort it out, schools have to be extended (capital budget under pressure as a result), some more teachers left unemployed along with admin, cleaning staff. All add to the social welfare bill.

The numbers don't stack up on your part

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement