Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

car break ins Dublin/Wicklow mountains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Yesterday between (31st March 2012) one of my rear door windows was smashed, between 10.30am and 2pm nothing taken and no evidence of entering the car. Four out of 6 cars in our group had the same damage and nothing taken. The Gardai from Roundwood came and noted the damage, they thought that it was a random act or someone looking for money. I disagree with the analysis as I had valuables in my car, and the fact that the act happened so early, vandals just don't operate so early. The conclusion that I have come to is that some local nut felt that some of us were parked inappropriately and decided to punish us, the two cars that were not damaged were parked Ok.

So watch out for mountainy men, funny things go on in the Wicklow Hills.

www.shayconway.blogspot.com

while there is no evidence locals were involved I think it wise to park appropriately and behave properly when using wicklow as a playground. not all of wicklow is a national park. you are in someone elses home and in the case of walking through farmland, their business and livelihood.

Yesterday between (31st March 2012) one of my rear door windows was smashed, between 10.30am and 2pm nothing taken and no evidence of entering the car. Four out of 6 cars in our group had the same damage and nothing taken. The Gardai from Roundwood came and noted the damage, they thought that it was a random act or someone looking for money. I disagree with the analysis as I had valuables in my car, and the fact that the act happened so early, vandals just don't operate so early. The conclusion that I have come to is that some local nut felt that some of us were parked inappropriately and decided to punish us, the two cars that were not damaged were parked Ok.

So watch out for mountainy men, funny things go on in the Wicklow Hills.

your post here sets the tone that the people of wicklow are some kind or rural hicks who have nothing better to do than go around smashing car windows, which is less than constructive.
    incidentally, how had you parked and where exactly was your vehicle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

OK I will have to admit something, my great grand dad died crossing the road in Bray while on holiday in July 1905 (he left a widow and 11 children) , ever since then I have held a grudge against Wicklow people. So when I park in Wicklow the residents detect this ring their pals in Tallaght complain about me parking, the Tallaght guys get out of bed, drive to Wicklow and break my car window don't steal anything. Meanwhile Donny and Fussball get all shirty and hurt and let rip a me on boards.ie. I still am the only one who has to get the damage repaired, and still have to deal with the baggage of poor old gt gran papa and whats more I get a private message "did you block an entrance" ie did you deserve to get your window broken. Shucks you can't win.:D

you still didn't say where it was parked , or if it blocking half the road.

OK I will have to admit something, my great grand dad died crossing the road in Bray while on holiday in July 1905 (he left a widow and 11 children) , ever since then I have held a grudge against Wicklow people. So when I park in Wicklow the residents detect this ring their pals in Tallaght complain about me parking, the Tallaght guys get out of bed, drive to Wicklow and break my car window don't steal anything. Meanwhile Donny and Fussball get all shirty and hurt and let rip a me on boards.ie. I still am the only one who has to get the damage repaired, and still have to deal with the baggage of poor old gt gran papa and whats more I get a private message "did you block an entrance" ie did you deserve to get your window broken. Shucks you can't win.:D

the OP started this thread to warn others where and possibly when your car could be broken into. you have yet to identify where this happened and until you do so, are not making a useful contribution. indeed, you imply you parked in such a way as to anger the locals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

I parked at a certain Coillte forest entrance near Laragh, maybe 12 years ago or more and came back to find two flat tyres. I wasn't blocking the entrance in any way and had parked there many, many times before but I gathered some days later, that a nearby householder, who had built a substantial new abode, was taking a dim view of people parking near his house. Now I could never prove anything, it could have been bad luck, it could have been a random act by passing vandals but I formed my own view at the time. I haven't parked there since.

• Advertisement

Cars being damaged in an effort to move them, such as windows broken so handbrake can be let off and car pushed away from an entrance to a house, a gate into a field, a point where two vehicles can pass each other, is absolutely fine.

Cars damaged as part of a crime or even just to make a point that they should not be left there, appalling.

I have to confess that, despite all the posts, I am still not sure if Shay's car falls into the former or latter. If the latter, then of course he deserves sympathy.

Yes, it's hard to know. You couldn't blame the odd person for getting frustrated with repeated blockages and 'sorting out' the matter themselves. It's a tricky one - I have often parked in out of way places in Wicklow. I usually try and find a spot that is near the road and public view and if in doubt, a spot where only one car can pull in. That's means anybody, up to no good, has to stop in the middle of the road. Which they might think twice about, in case someone comes along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Shay Conway

Fuinseog wrote: »
    the OP started this thread to warn others where and possibly when your car could be broken into. you have yet to identify where this happened and until you do so, are not making a useful contribution. indeed, you imply you parked in such a way as to anger the locals.
    icon9.gifLocal Nut - between Sally Gap and the Waterfall R115
    was the title of my first post, this identifies where it happened.

Anyone who deliberatly breaks four car windows in broad daylight deserves a prison sentence. The idiot will probably find himself on video footage if he keeps this up. All it takes is one energetic young garda to remain in hiding with a phone camera.

But sure Shay, nobody lives up there in many years and the number of local farmers that would have an interest in that area is tiny. A large proportion is Coillte state land. Keeping sheep on the hill is very much in decline and I can only think of a couple of spots along there where you could actually be interfering with access to sheep pens etc. and you'd have to be very unlucky to catch the day they'd be in use.

In other words, it's very unlikely that this was anything to do with a local hill farmer. Many times more likely that it was mindless vandalism..

Hold on - I assume you're talking between Sally Gap and Glenmacanass Waterfall? You also have Stocking Lane in your orig post - that's Dublin suburbs??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Shay Conway

BarryD wrote: »
    But sure Shay, nobody lives up there in many years and the number of local farmers that would have an interest in that area is tiny. A large proportion is Coillte state land. Keeping sheep on the hill is very much in decline and I can only think of a couple of spots along there where you could actually be interfering with access to sheep pens etc. and you'd have to be very unlucky to catch the day they'd be in use.

In other words, it's very unlikely that this was anything to do with a local hill farmer. Many times more likely that it was mindless vandalism..

Hold on - I assume you're talking between Sally Gap and Glenmacanass Waterfall? You also have Stocking Lane in your orig post - that's Dublin suburbs??

oops didn't quite describe it fully - must have been the the post traumatic stress or flash backs of gt grand pappy :D

The official definition of the R115 from the Roads Act 1993 (Classification of Regional Roads) Order 2006 [5] reads:
    R115: Rathfarnham, County Dublin - Laragh, County WicklowBetween its junction with R114 at Butterfield Avenue Rathfarnham in the county of South Dublin and its junction with R755 at Laragh in the county of Wicklow via Grange Road, Willbrook Road, Ballyboden Road, Scholarstown Road, Stocking Lane and Military Road in the county of South Dublin: Glencree, Liffey Head Bridge, Sally Gap and Drummin in the county of Wicklow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The official definition of the R115 from the Roads Act 1993 (Classification of Regional Roads) Order 2006 [5] reads:
    :rolleyes:

The area around Glenmacnass to the Sally Gap seems to be a regular area for car break-ins. My own car was done when parked at a forest entrance there.

Thankfully I've never had one single incident of harassment by locals in the Wicklow mountains, and rarely encountered much anywhere in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mattser

I see Mountainviews.ie site have made this prominent in their latest bulletin. seems things are getting worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Wailin

mattser wrote: »
    I see Mountainviews.ie site have made this prominent in their latest bulletin. seems things are getting worse.

Yep, definitely getting worse. Mate of mine has had his car broken into 3 times in the last few weeks! All in the Sally Gap area, near the gate at Kippure and at the gap crossroads itself. Same technique used, screwdriver forced into the lock, passenger door and drivers door on different ocassions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Seeing as the hillwalking organisations were suckered into giving so much support to Coillte and their overpaid management, it'd be nice if Coillte put something back in for us. The odd CCTV would be useful. Or a carpark or two so we don't have to park on the side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭enricoh

how hard would it be for the cops to park up a car with a few pinhole cameras to identify faces and regestrations? leave a sat nav out n maybe stick on english plates. always tourists beside me getting robbed visiting an old monastery.
    its probably 2 or 3 outfits doing all the damage in the wicklow hills

enricoh wrote: »

You could well be right, you wouldn't think it'd take much to nail them if someone put their mind to it. Question of will, I suppose.

Not sure about more car parks, unless you want to go down the road of paid supervised car parking run by the local authority like car park in Glendalough etc. I'd prefer to park in a tiny space just beside the road if no one about rather than some empty car park, on basis that someone wishing to break in has to stop obviously in the middle of the road and take chance of someone coming along - i.e. they're more exposed to being seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Gasherbraun

I seem to remember reading a couple of years ago that the Kippure Estate was allowing people to use their parking for €5.00 a day. Does anyone know if they still do?

It is quite a good location that is probably a lot more secure than leaving the car on the side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Parking on the "one car spots "dosent work either.what they do is drop off one of their mates before your car as if hes a walker bang .he does your car they've turned up road a bit ..drive back pick him up..we caught them at this just as we decended a walk..i looked in the drivers eyes as they slowly drove by..he knew that i knew what he was at and just smirked and traveled on..

Well, maybe it's wishful thinking so :(
    Seriously, you'd think if the Gardai put a little work into this, they'd soon get results. All it would take after are random 'stings' and these boyos would be less inclined to take the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

As said already in this thread it's probably 1 or 2 gang of lads doing all the damage. Probably got away with it a few times and now see it as an easy target. If they get caught you might find it all goes quiet again for a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Gardai do not want the hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

enricoh wrote: »
    how hard would it be for the cops to park up a car with a few pinhole cameras to identify faces and regestrations? leave a sat nav out n maybe stick on english plates. always tourists beside me getting robbed visiting an old monastery.

Guards pay little attention to cctv, worked in security before and we handed clear identifiable cctv footage of people breaking into cars and nothing was ever done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

ScottStorm wrote: »
    Guards pay little attention to cctv, worked in security before and we handed clear identifiable cctv footage of people breaking into cars and nothing was ever done.

Needs a few guys to hide or stake out a car or two .catch the little divils redhanded and explain what they are doing isint very nice..as a bit of an aside great to see the deplorable roads above loch dan addressed at last.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 4calibr4

just back from Lough Dan. Great walk indeed however smashed back passenger window made my day. Toyota Yaris 2000!!!!!! I'd thought those scumbags would just look into BMWs but come on Yaris 2000? Pure disgrace.

From now on i'm going to leave my glove compartment open and I'm not going to lock my car. Just in case those punks won't realised there is no need to break the window I'll leave a note for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mattser

4calibr4 wrote: »
    just back from Lough Dan. Great walk indeed however smashed back passenger window made my day. Toyota Yaris 2000!!!!!! I'd thought those scumbags would just look into BMWs but come on Yaris 2000? Pure disgrace.

From now on i'm going to leave my glove compartment open and I'm not going to lock my car. Just in case those punks won't realised there is no need to break the window I'll leave a note for them.

Sorry to hear that. I really think it's time these turds got their comeuppance. I intend to make some enquiries from the various agencies in Wicklow as to what if any deterrents are in operation. I know its not only Wicklow, but that's the subject of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Maudi wrote: »
    Needs a few guys to hide or stake out a car or two .catch the little divils redhanded and explain what they are doing isint very nice..as a bit of an aside great to see the deplorable roads above loch dan addressed at last.
    Commiserations :mad:
    (I had a breakin on the road beside Djouce a couple years ago)

For what it's worth, post #31 in this thread reported a Lough Dan breakin a year ago, and there's an interesting discussion about an alleged event 7 years ago starting at post 5 in a Lough Dan thread at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85089847

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

wow bad luck, given that its so far off the main roads you would think the skangers wouldn't put in the effort. It does make you wonder if its locals, awful if so. Do report it to the gardai for all the good it will do, it might mark someone's card.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Probably a coincidence but two Sundays ago there was a story in one of the Sunday papers about all the breaks ins but I was getting back into my car at Crone and a garda car came in for a look around before heading off again. Not sure if it they're more actively patrolling the various spots but either way it being a Sunday the car park was full of day trippers and a coach load of people so unlikely any car would get broken into anyway. It's quieter weekdays I would imagine when a car is more at risk.

With respect, a marked Garda car would stand out like a sore thumb driving around the hills, easy to spot and avoid. And maybe it would work a little to that extent and better than nothing. But sure all the boyos have to do is wait for it to pass and on with the business.. no, the Gardai have to be more imaginative and proactive than that.

Do car alarms have no deterrent on these people in car parks where people are coming and going?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

To be honest, not that many cars these days have proper alarms, only immobilizers. This makes them nigh on impossible to steal and drive away, so all they can do is to break in and search for any valuables. They can do it quite inconspicuously too by cutting through the wiring loom through the little gap between the front wing and the door with a hacksaw blade, so they don't make a lot of noise by breaking glass. That way they can operate even in relatively busy car parks without being too obvious.

The obvious (to me at least) solution is some covert CCTV cameras, possibly the same type as are currently used to catch fly tippers in spots notorious for such activity. These are battery powered, and all the Gardai have to do is to check them now and then and track down the culprits via their car reg.

Advertisement