Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PPL in Florida-Total cost

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭cherrytaz

Thanks for that. I suppose long-term ATPL is the goal but it really is far down the line so PPL is as far as I will go for the mean time. Your right though with your remarks on CPL out there.

I have gathered a lot of information over the past few weeks (and will continue to do so) on every likely cost (right down to bus transportation, ringing up as many flying schools in northern Ireland for the cheapest cost of sitting ground exams, purchasing 2nd hand PPL books and confuser etc.)

Hopefully it will all be worth it. I plan to keep this thread updated along the way with my account of things

I've hit a stumbling block with regards to costs. Enquired if it was possible to pay in segments (i.e. day to day) and got this reply:

"Unfortunately we only offer two payment options for the PPL program.

1) If you want the highly discounted package price you must pay in full.

2) Pay as you go, but you will pay our regular rates for the training hours required. This does not entitle you to the ‘package price’.

If you have any other questions please let me know!"

Not sure how to progress now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Then you ask them how your money is protected, if you have to come home early or something else goes wrong. Ask about an escrow account.they should be able to facilitate you.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I know a fair few lads who done their PPL hour building &CPL in the USA and left the IR training to be done back in Europe and still managed to get jobs working for FR,Now the only airline I heard of(rumour) that don't like lads doing modular is EI.

I've enquired about an escrow account so will see what comes off that. I have begun studying for Air Law Exam and plan to take it in the next 3 weeks in Enniskillen. Seems to be fine,just a fair amount of material. Using Q and A Simplifier, Air Pilot's Manaul and AirQuiz so all going well I should be ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭LeftBase

I know a fair few lads who done their PPL hour building &CPL in the USA and left the IR training to be done back in Europe and still managed to get jobs working for FR,Now the only airline I heard of(rumour) that don't like lads doing modular is EI.

Well the lads that I know were flat out stonewalled by FR and RE in the Spring of 2011 because they did their CPL in the US. PPL seems to be ok but CPL seems to be an issue. RE contacted them by email to inform them of this. With EI if you went modular anywhere they aint interested at fATPL level.

As far as the money issue I think the recent cross pond debacle has taught anyone who didn't already know not to pay a penny up front.
    There is a lot of carry on that goes on in US schools and you may arrive and decide a day later that they are a shower of ***** and want to leave or that they lied about facilities etc...if they have your money that may not be so easy...they may of course also go bust. The extra you pay for the "standard" rate could be viewed as financial insurance.

Reply below regarding cancelling fee etc

"Those are great questions. In the event you have to terminate/cancel your package early, you would be subject to paying regular rates for everything you’ve done up to that stage. Additionally, we would charge a cancellation fee of 25% of the remaining credit value and then issue a refund back to you for the remaining balance.

We don’t operate with an escrow account but I would be happy to send you a copy of our rental agreement if you would like which outlines the cancellation policies and procedures.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!"

So it looks like money up front or a no go. Seriously considering doing the training here. Not overly happy to give over the entire fee in one ego. Presently looking into the Leinster Aero Club or similar (I'm based in Dublin mon-fri and Cavan at the weekends)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭rallye150flyer

i done my ppl in flyeasa then OBA, in regards to sitting the exams before hand i say do what i did do all your study before you go and then just sit the actual exams there but make sure you do all your study, i was only 16 when i did mine it was alot to do in the 3 weeks the exams and flying.

i echo whatn people say in that budget for about 55 hrs to be safe and a few days extra if you can !

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Xpro

I was in the same boat as you. I started my training over here and then got frustrated with bad weather, paying irish fees,etc,etc thinking it would work out much cheaper to do my ppl in the states.
    I did look about different options in the states , but after alot of homework, i decided to continue in ireland.
    To be honest, there is lots of hassle involved with training in US, visa,accomodation, transport,food,etc it all adds up.
    Plus when you do get your PPL, you will nearly 100% have to do another few hours with irish instructors for various checkouts before they even let you fly/hire their planes unless you own one yourself. Just to get used to flying in ireland, different Atc procedures and so on.
    I put my head down, got my ppl in 8months 48hours so it wasnt to bad even tho i was whinging when i first started. It was worth it in the end.

Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭CharlieOscar

I think every Student PPL'er at some early stage will compare the Florida 3/4 week route v the 12-18 month route in Ireland. For most, they will get a PPL and that will be the end of it, maybe additional ratings to their PPL.

When it boils down to it, the cost of your airfare and transport is likely to be equal to about 6-7 hours flying over here. You can study here and do your IAA PPL exams here, so why would you go to the states to get a PPL.

Afterall, it is for enjoyment your initially getting your PPL, so why cram it all into 3 or 4 weeks, you will learn more and enjoy the process of getting your PPL more by acquiring it in Ireland.

Also, taking 3 or 4 weeks off work is not the easiest of tasks. You say that you are in Dublin Monday through Friday, why not book 3 or 4 flights a week in Weston, you'll certainly get at least 2 of them a week taking account of the weather and all.

That was my rationale behind chosing to stay in Ireland, unfortunitely the finances ran a little dry so I am only flying maybe 2-3 times per month at the moment, but nearly finished my Solo hours, and at PFL and I am at about 21 hours.

By the way, EIWT is open till 20:00hrs so you could be out flying either at 17:00hrs or at 18:30hrs and have your PPL in now time at all, of course weather permitting and finance permitting.

• Advertisement

I think every Student PPL'er at some early stage will compare the Florida 3/4 week route v the 12-18 month route in Ireland. For most, they will get a PPL and that will be the end of it, maybe additional ratings to their PPL.

When it boils down to it, the cost of your airfare and transport is likely to be equal to about 6-7 hours flying over here. You can study here and do your IAA PPL exams here, so why would you go to the states to get a PPL.

Afterall, it is for enjoyment your initially getting your PPL, so why cram it all into 3 or 4 weeks, you will learn more and enjoy the process of getting your PPL more by acquiring it in Ireland.

Also, taking 3 or 4 weeks off work is not the easiest of tasks. You say that you are in Dublin Monday through Friday, why not book 3 or 4 flights a week in Weston, you'll certainly get at least 2 of them a week taking account of the weather and all.

That was my rationale behind chosing to stay in Ireland, unfortunitely the finances ran a little dry so I am only flying maybe 2-3 times per month at the moment, but nearly finished my Solo hours, and at PFL and I am at about 21 hours.

By the way, EIWT is open till 20:00hrs so you could be out flying either at 17:00hrs or at 18:30hrs and have your PPL in now time at all, of course weather permitting and finance permitting.

Looking more and more likely that I will train at home. What school would you recommend at EIST? Ive actually booked myself in a trial flight at Trim Flying Club this saturday evening so I will see how that goes. It is around an hour both from Cavan and Dublin and rates dont seem too bad, however there is the membership fees to include also. Want to try and get a few evening hours in before the end of the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭CharlieOscar

I am with NFC and to be honest in my opinion they are the only Flying School this side of the country that anyone should use. They have many many full time instructors, they have a lot of aircrafts, while they might be a little pricey at €200 p/h, I cant fault the instruction.

If you are in Dublin from Monday to Friday, why not pop out to them and go for a trial flight there. Trim is a good 45 mins from most places in Central/West Dublin, and Weston is only about 20 mins from most places in Dublin full stop.

While the rates are attractive in TFC, I am not too sure what the instructor and aircraft availability are like, and if you were in a hurry to get your PPL, then a club probably would not be the way to go. Once you have your PPL of course, if you were not going for your CPL/ATPL's, a club would be ideal.

A vote for NFC anyway.

Cheers for that. 200 p/h really is a lot I have to say. I'll see how my trial flight goes on Saturday with Trim and enquire about availability etc. The thing with Trim is that it is reasonably close to Cavan and I anticipate a lot of my lessons I will be coming from there and Dublin during the Summer. Not it any mad rush to get PPL but would be nice to fly once a week during if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭rallye150flyer

i am based in EINC alot of guys doing lessons there with a full time instructor based there i would check that out if i where you the wicklow wings idea seems a good rental option

Just back from intro Flight in Trim. Very impressed with the setup, seems to be a nice little club with good availability of both aircraft and insructors. Lovely day also for flying, think I will press ahead and join the club.

Had the gps on on my phone for the duration so managed to track the flight as per below:

Untitled-86.jpg

Advertisement