Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was the Republican campaign justifiable?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Fiatach

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    Come back to me when you want to debate without petty insults and fiction.

Have you found a war yet which had no civilian casulties? Look at the Tan War for instance. The majority of deaths caused by Irish Republicans from 1969 onwards was around 1,100 British forces, armed to the teeth. It was the longest armed campaign the British military faced in their entire history.

I think this thread should be in the military section as it was a military campaign carried out by the 32 county Irish army.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Fiatach wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    Come back to me when you want to debate without petty insults and fiction.

Have you found a war yet which had no civilian casulties? Look at the Tan War for instance. The majority of deaths caused by Irish Republicans from 1969 onwards was around 1,100 British forces, armed to the teeth. It was the longest armed campaign the British military faced in their entire history.

1,100 is a "majority" over 1,000 - the 1,000 is still completely unacceptable and could easily have been avoided had cowards not left bombs in crowded shopping areas while they scarpered off home to safety.

If you want to engage an enemy, then work away.....but do not murder innocent people.

1,100 is a "majority" over 1,000 - the 1,000 is still completely unacceptable and could easily have been avoided had cowards not left bombs in crowded shopping areas while they scarpered off home to safety.

If you want to engage an enemy, then work away.....but do not murder innocent people.

I dont think the IRA killed 1000 civilians. They detonated tens of thousands of bombs and the figure of civilian causlties is quite low for a 30 year campaign. But I agree with you, the economic war put too many innocents at risk and should have been halted the first time a bombing operation went wrong. Thankfully bombing economic targets and expecting the enemy to clear the area of civilians is a thing of the past as they used it to their advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I dont think the IRA killed 1000 civilians. They detonated tens of thousands of bombs and the figure of civilian causlties is quite low for a 30 year campaign. But I agree with you, the economic war put too many innocents at risk and should have been halted the first time a bombing operation went wrong. Thankfully bombing economic targets and expecting the enemy to clear the area of civilians is a thing of the past as they used it to their advantage.

OK - I'm out. Too much apologist phrasing that for me to be able to stomach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

jiffybag wrote: »
    Not a clue do you have OP .

I can still smell the burning flesh , still hear the screams and still taste the horror that was the Omagh bomb . If you ever get that close to such horror and can still be proud to be a Republican or what ever then you have no morals or no soul!

All this done at 3pm on a busy Saturday afternoon in the name of a free Ireland . Balls!! Murders and nothing more !

Do you think Irish Republicans set out to kill people in a mainly nationalist town like Omagh? As I said lessons of mistakes like Omagh seem to be learned, bombs in town centres are thankfully a thing of the past.

According to the HET team in the Case of Enniskillen the ira did indeed set out to kill civilians

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Economic war? What is that?

Last I heard they were fought with tariffs and embargos. Who did Irish terrorists fight an economic war?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Not sure that we should be feeding this 'Fiatach' character, he seems to be a new strain of PIRA supporter thats even more impervious to normal sensibilities than the previous crop. Mentally he seems to have been locked in an ice block (similar to Wesley Snipes in Demolition man), a man from the past, with brutish ideas, and who supports the murderous ideas from the past too.

I am steering well clear of that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

junder wrote: »
    According to the HET team in the Case of Enniskillen the ira did indeed set out to kill civilians

The HET team? Isnt that the boys employed by themselves to investigate themselves? The Historical Enquiries Team is laughable in that it is a unit of the PSNI. Very fair Im sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

maccored wrote: »
    The HET team? Isnt that the boys employed by themselves to investigate themselves? The Historical Enquiries Team is laughable in that it is a unit of the PSNI. Very fair Im sure.
    The PSNI is supported by Sinn Fein. If it doesn't fit in with the Republican view point, it is biased and not worth taking note of.

• Advertisement

The HET team is the one that we like if it says things we want to hear and ridicule when it doesn't. Simples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭trendyvicar

What firm historical conclusions has HET reached so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

KeithAFC wrote: »
    The PSNI is supported by Sinn Fein. If it doesn't fit in with the Republican view point, it is biased and not worth taking note of.

SF have never agreed with HET. From day one they said it was too biased - and as usual were ignored
    The HET team is the one that we like if it says things we want to hear and ridicule when it doesn't. Simples.

Its completely up to you Fratton Fred, what you say and when. Simples. (I am assuming the 'we' you refer to is yourself)

SF have never agreed with HET. From day one they said it was too biased - and as usual were ignored

Its completely up to you Fratton Fred, what you say and when. Simples. (I am assuming the 'we' you refer to is yourself)
    Sinn Fein talk for effect. They say they want an international independent inquiry and yet we all know they are bluffing because it would look really bad on Sinn Fein and are just saying it because they know the British government doesn't want one.

Sinn Fein though support the PSNI. Unless it supports a Republican view point which they agree with (Bloody Sunday for example), they don't want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Sinn Fein talk for effect. They say they want an international independent inquiry and yet we all know they are bluffing because it would look really bad on Sinn Fein and are just saying it because they know the British government doesn't want one.

Sinn Fein though support the PSNI. Unless it supports a Republican view point which they agree with (Bloody Sunday for example), they don't want to know.
    Keith there's no republican point of view on Bloody Sunday, people have always known what happened and the fact the British army murdered 26 unarmed civilians.

SF were the first party to call for an independent truth commission in 2008. You're right in saying the British government don't want one and it's because they have far more to hide about their involvement than republicans ever will, the extent on which their collusion extended into the troubles is something that would cause great embarassment for them if it were to come to light.

SF supports the PSNI because they recognise the fact that for any functioning society to work it needs a police force that's reliable, unbiased and fair across all communities which is precisely why the RUC was disbanded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭trendyvicar

Dotsey wrote: »
    Keith there's no republican point of view on Bloody Sunday, people have always known what happened and the fact the British army murdered 26 unarmed civilians.

SF were the first party to call for an independent truth commission in 2008. You're right in saying the British government don't want one and it's because they have far more to hide about their involvement than republicans ever will, the extent on which their collusion extended into the troubles is something that would cause great embarassment for them if it were to come to light.

SF supports the PSNI because they recognise the fact that for any functioning society to work it needs a police force that's reliable, unbiased and fair across all communities which is precisely why the RUC was disbanded.

I doubt SF want details on all those Republican murders (over 2000 of them) put into the public domain, including, not only details on those who pulled triggers and planted bombs, but also those who gave the orders. There's quite a number of Republicans now who have substantial personal assets that PIRA victims could attack in the civil courts. Not to mention the time those involved might have to serve in jail, even if released early.

By the way, The RUC wasn't disbanded, it was incorporated into The PSNI, having been awarded The George Cross - The UK's highest civilian award for valour.

I doubt SF want details on all those Republican murders (over 2000 of them) put into the public domain, including, not only details on those who pulled triggers and planted bombs, but also those who gave the orders. There's quite a number of Republicans now who have substantial personal assets that PIRA victims could attack in the civil courts. Not to mention the time those involved might have to serve in jail, even if released early.

By the way, The RUC wasn't disbanded, it was incorporated into The PSNI, having been awarded The George Cross - The UK's highest civilian award for valour.
    Not to mention Gerry Adams and his disappearing squad and Martin and his expertise in bombing.

To say the British Government have far more to hide than Sinn Fein is just nonsense. Sinn Fein have a lot of dirty "secrets".

OK - I'm out. Too much apologist phrasing that for me to be able to stomach.

Id say the real reason is you were caught out inventing civilian casulties to score points in an online debate :cool:

Economic war? What is that?

Last I heard they were fought with tariffs and embargos. Who did Irish terrorists fight an economic war?

Strategic bombing is a military tactic in Economic warfare.

Dotsey wrote: »

As I have already pointed out sinn fein are playing a double bluff with thus call for a truth commission, they are calling for because the are safe in the knowledge that the British government won't call one, last thing sinn fein wants is those all those new voters finding out exactly how blood thirsty the pira really are.

• Advertisement

junder wrote: »

So you wil disregard all findings of the HET team?

Strategic bombing is a military tactic in Economic warfare.

Yes I suppose it is, if you bomb economic targets.

The vast majority, if not all, civilians killed by Irish Terrorists were not killed by any form of economic war though or through the bombing of economic targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

do unionists accept nationalists right to have a different political opinion?
    I can accept unionism(non militant style) can ye accept nationalism(non militant style)
    (this is a genuine question so please don't take any offence none is intended )

do unionists accept nationalists right to have a different political opinion?
    I can accept unionism(non militant style) can ye accept nationalism(non militant style)
    (this is a genuine question so please don't take any offence none is intended )
    Yes. It is up to Republicanism to accept that some people are Unionists/Loyalists/Ulster nationalists.

Yes. It is up to Republicanism to accept that some people are Unionists/Loyalists/Ulster nationalists.

you had to work in an insult? most nationalists do it was a sinn fein mayor who celebrated the 300th anniversary of the siege of derry or londonderry if you prefer

you had to work in an insult? most nationalists do it was a sinn fein mayor who celebrated the 300th anniversary of the siege of derry or londonderry if you prefer
    What is the point you are making? A Sinn Fein mayor only recently insulted a young cadet because he thought it would look bad to fellow Republicans and ended up embarrassing himself.

im saying give nationalists a chance don't judge us all as one

Yes I suppose it is, if you bomb economic targets.

The vast majority, if not all, civilians killed by Irish Terrorists were not killed by any form of economic war though or through the bombing of economic targets.

How where they killed then, and what statistics can you show to back this up?

How where they killed then, and what statistics can you show to back this up?

They were murdered in terrorist attacks.

• Advertisement

They were murdered in terrorist attacks.

like the dublin and monaghan bombs?

Advertisement