Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electric bike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭cipro 55

boc121 wrote: »
    Would love one of those fast motors but no good with soldering and all that.
    What do you think of this bike Mad Lad?

http://www.ktm-bikes.at/e-bike/e-bike/eCross.php?lang=EN

Sorry for jumping in here cipro 55.

BOC 121
    Your more than welcome.

I just bought one of these and i'm more than pleased with it.

http://activesport.co.uk/shop/article_2011%25200749720-001/Giant-Escape-Hybrid-2W-Womens-2011-Electric-Bike.html?sessid=FRymB2YqlcVmBV05FG5EFDW9rMnIGUwDgeM0Cv5tYzFHIotvPfeBvzsFVqJjIKSY&shop_param=cid%3D2301%26aid%3D2011%25200749720-001%26

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Looking at getting one of these under the B2W scheme. From the reviews all over the net it seems fine, cheap enough too. My route will be 10kms one way, fairly flat with only one real hill that's very small. I'm 32, near enough 200lbs and have just gotten rid of the car. I know it's a woman's bike but I hate mountain and road bikes, they're very uncomfortable for me as I'm 5'5"

Opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Your height shouldn't really be that big a deal comfort-wise unless you've always ridden bikes that are too big for you.

I wouldn't write off a commuter hybrid - basically a road/mountain bike mix. Something like this is nice and cheaper than the electric cost. It's essential that you get to ride the bike before buying it, otherwise you can find it's not comfortable.

Nothing specifically against electric bikes - they get people onto two wheels, and that's a good thing. But check reallyunique's first reply in this thread as to why most people recommend getting an unpowered bike unless you have a specific injury which prevents you from turning the pedals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Hmm. Maybe I should borrow a bike off someone and try commuting for a few days. Have to find one the right size though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Confab wrote: »
    Hmm. Maybe I should borrow a bike off someone and try commuting for a few days. Have to find one the right size though.
    That's really key - I just realised I linked to a women's bike above, but you can get men's bikes in small sizes. There's no huge difference between men's and women's bikes - women's tend to just have a shorter reach, which is probably more comfortable for most people regardless.

Only problem is that most shops will have to order small men's sizes in, they'll probably not have one on the floor.

Borrowing a bike to commute in is a great idea, but if you go borrowing a bike from someone who's 5'10", you will not be comfortable.

If you're not limited to Halford's for the bike to work scheme, call into a proper bike shop to discuss it with them. They should be able to give you a test spin on a suitable sized bike.

• Advertisement

Confab wrote: »
    Looking at getting one of these under the B2W scheme. From the reviews all over the net it seems fine, cheap enough too. My route will be 10kms one way, fairly flat with only one real hill that's very small. I'm 32, near enough 200lbs and have just gotten rid of the car. I know it's a woman's bike but I hate mountain and road bikes, they're very uncomfortable for me as I'm 5'5"

Opinions?

200 watts is the U.K legal ridiculously low specification and probably thought up to keep everyone driving cars as the U.K is another rip off fuel tax state!!!

That type of bike is what you are looking for that is reasonably comfortable, but the quality of the bike itself wouldn't be great.

I would go with a good 2nd hand bike and convert it yourself, I can P.M you the details of a man in China that sells very good quality motor kits. His batteries are expensive but I can P.M you the details of another Chinese man who makes good quality batteries.

These are highly reputable people and have very good reputations in the diy electric bike community and I can vouch for them too.

People think I'm crazy because I spent over 1200 Euro's on converting my bike, however my bike is the extreme, and does 40 mph with crazy acceleration and the batteries are far from diy as they need constant monitoring of each 32 cells. You don't need to spend such money.

I just calculated the battery that would meet your needs best is This

36V 15ah
    Weight: 5.6 kg / 12.3 lbs
    Size: 225x105x150 mm / 8.9x4.1x5.9 inches
    1000 Complete empty to full cycles. so 20 miles x 1000 charges =20k miles!!!

Cost inc shipping from China =427 Euro's you may or may not escape import tax.

That will give you an Idea of the best available battery at this point in time. The best battery cells us D.I.Y people can't get because the companies will only release them to electric car battery makers. And they are super good!

A really good quality motor kit will cost you 290 Euro's inc shipping from china, it will give you about 20-22 mph in a 28" wheel. You need torque arms or plates to re-enforce the rear dropouts so the axle doesn't spin!

So the above kit would cost you about €717 Euro's in total. You will need some kind of bag for the battery and I use a topeak bag, it slides on and off, very handy.

It's not cheap, but those batteries are generations beyond what most E-bike manufacturers will sell you and the motor kits are miles better too.

I think you will get a decent quality 2nd hand bike for about 300 Euro's or less.

In total a really fantastic E-bike setup will cost you only 200 Euro's more than the Halfords bike.

If you want take the Halfords bike for a spin and if you like it then buy it, I'm just reading the reviews and people are happy with it and that's the important thing.

You must find out the battery warranty as I see no details on chemistry used, get a detailed warranty on paper and exactly what it covers. There should be a minimum of 2 years warranty on it before reduction in range happens, but most important is charge it every time after a ride and don't run it down until it turns off!!! The above battery from China should last several years!!!

Take a look at my pics, that's the motor kit from china and the silver box on the rear rack is the controller. The battery is in the topeak bag and is half the size of the bag and can take me 100 miles if I pedal a lot!

The halfords bike has no throttle so the motor is on all the time as you pedal where my bike I can pedal unassisted and use the throttle when I choose which is by far the best way of doing it, but the European gobs**tes decided no throttle!

People laughed at me when I said I want to loose weight by cycling with this bike, but I showed them and lost 2 stone last year. 10-20 miles a day mostly doing the work myself makes a huge difference. They don't laugh any more!

But your 20Km commute is going to be a lot easier with some assistance, and if you have a bike that you know won't be a pain to cycle then you will use it more and more as you get fitter. Even throw it in the car and go for a good spin down the country somewhere. I still believe throttle only power is much better because you decide when and how much assistance you require.

It's a terrible shame Ireland has no bikes trails and that farmers own so much of our Island, every bit of land is fenced off and you have no access to anything, no parks no forrest nothing for the people and the few that are there usually have no bikes allowed signs, that's why I love Germany so much, I can go out my Girlfriends back driveway and have to think of which trail I will go today. In Ireland you have to think which broken road is the safest today! Shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Snako

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/twist.express/9327/49854/

Didn't have time to read all the post so apologies if someone posted this already, had the 2011 version of this bike for about six months, the old man got it on the bike to work scene, but was taken ill for a while so I had a long time lend,

This bike is sensational, it really is a fine piece of technology, even fine to cycle without any power, a little heavy but not the end of the word if the battery were to die mid trip, very comfortable,

Haven't experienced any other e-bikes, so can't give a critique grounded in contrast and comparison, but I would heavily recommend at very least taking a look at one of these!

I feel like I'm not doing it any justice with this short post,

Snako wrote: »
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/twist.express/9327/49854/

Didn't have time to read all the post so apologies if someone posted this already, had the 2011 version of this bike for about six months, the old man got it on the bike to work scene, but was taken ill for a while so I had a long time lend,

This bike is sensational, it really is a fine piece of technology, even fine to cycle without any power, a little heavy but not the end of the word if the battery were to die mid trip, very comfortable,

Haven't experienced any other e-bikes, so can't give a critique grounded in contrast and comparison, but I would heavily recommend at very least taking a look at one of these!

I feel like I'm not doing it any justice with this short post,

The Giant can only be better quality than a Halfords bike. I'm sorry I bought it and it wasn't cheap, again the specs of the battery don't tell the chemistry used. Some might last 6 or 7+ years and others 2 years

I could have got a much better one 2nd hand and converted that.

The only thing missing on road bikes is the lack of front suspension, while some are dirt cheap and useless. It makes a big difference on bad roads.

I need it going over 30mph without suspension is a bad idea! :D

I prefer mountain bikes for strength and I always get re-enforced rims, helps here with the bad roads.

I'm still a big believer that throttle only power is far better as you use the assistance when you want!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Hi Mad_Lad I have been following this thread with interest. Would you consider doing a sideline in a private bike conversion, cash waiting ;) I am looking at the Storck multitask, it retails at 2900 sterling! Reckon your way could get a whole lota bike for that.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Hi Mad_Lad I have been following this thread with interest. Would you consider doing a sideline in a private bike conversion, cash waiting ;) I am looking at the Storck multitask, it retails at 2900 sterling! Reckon your way could get a whole lota bike for that.

That would build you some power machine alright! :D

You can go way over budget, so think about the maximum amount you are willing to pay and stick to it!

I can surely do a conversion for you, but you got to appreciate the time involved in custom bike building, putting together, sourcing parts etc.

You need someone good with metal work to make you plates to re enforce your rear dropouts, I don't have the tools for that. It's essential !

But pm me what you got in mind and I'll see what I can come up with that best meets your needs. Just remember going 20 mph is as thrilling as going 30, and more relaxing too! :D

More speed means more money and your bike must be up to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Velo

I have dealt with Kenbay in Tallaght, bought a bike there a few weeks ago. All I can say is good luck to you and I hope you have a lot of patience. I got the bike under the cycle to work scheme (at a cost of €1,000), they took three weeks from the day I gave them the voucher to hand over the bike, and only then after I'd complained to the scheme operator, who intervened. Had a problem with the brakes which put the bike off the road, brought it back on Monday last and in spite of promises to return it on Tuesday, I haven't seen it since nor been contacted by them. So here I am with the Easter Bank Holiday stretching out in front of me, and no bike. My advice? Look elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sheila Ahern

Does anyone know where I could get a new battery for an

eZee TorQ electric bike

They are really expensive from any of the dealers

I have seen on line and all come from the UK or US .

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sheila Ahern

eZee TorQ electric bike

Thanks

eZee TorQ electric bike

Thanks

Hi Sheila,

Have you tried to get one from wherever you bought it ?

How old is the bike ? the most you probably would have got from those batteries is 2 years.

There are alternatives, but require rewiring and possibly mounting the battery on the rear rack. You would need a new charger too.

There are batteries you can get that will last 1000-2000 cycles, those older ezee batteries at best lasted 300-500 cycles.

But you are probably looking at getting them from the U.K or U.S, I would be shocked if a bike shop that sold it can not get you one!

Unfortunately the good batteries are being used in electric cars and almost impossible to get for electric bicycles!

The trick with these batteries is not running them completely flat and not leaving them unused for more than a month, and charge as soon as you can after every ride!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Potchumkin

Beasty wrote: »
    I would like to think that it's something I could be riding around on in 40 years or so ....

I do think it's something that people may wish to consider as they get older, particularly as they lose climbing ability - it would allow you to continue getting the benefit of the exercise without having to worry too much about getting over the hills
    Precisely the reason I bought one - I have already gotten somewhat older. I bought a Ci-Ebike 3 weeks ago, I have used it for about 100Km. Battery suddenly died (naturally at furthest point from home). It had indicated 'full' when departing. I have given a 12 hour re-charge but I am still getting no indications from the controller. (2 lights on battery indicating. Green light on charger). Anyone out there with experience of a similar problem?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You can get this for €338.50 through sportsdirect.com using their 10% off bikes code and €1 delivery. Weighs 21kg!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eco-Stepper-Folding-Electric-Black/dp/B007WOS2IO
    http://www.sportsdirect.com/e-co-electric-bike-933004

snubbleste wrote: »
    You can get this for €338.50 through sportsdirect.com using their 10% off bikes code and €1 delivery. Weighs 21kg!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eco-Stepper-Folding-Electric-Black/dp/B007WOS2IO
    http://www.sportsdirect.com/e-co-electric-bike-933004

Those bikes wouldn't be the best, if you have hills they certainly wouldn't be great.

Best if you can find the Bosch bottom bracket drive bikes. More expensive though but massively better use of the measly legal 250 watts that's imposed on Europeans.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS9xQeGAy47gRsAsbyqIqrCZ-gYKM9k3nPaYjPEcCk1_Nl00h770Q

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

...forget about kenbay bikes and the likes they are boring legal and limited to 250 watts and are expensive and some legal bikes use really bad batteries that give e.v's a bad name.

This is where it gets complicated

it'd certainly be complicated explaining to a judge why you think your bike is not a motorbike when it's not a pedelec either

• Registered Users Posts: 31,031 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

More expensive though but massively better use of the measly legal 250 watts that's imposed on Europeans

250W is more than the average power used on a typical Tour de France stage, and should be enough to sustain about 35kph on the flat even without domestiques.

Lumen wrote: »
    250W is more than the average power used on a typical Tour de France stage, and should be enough to sustain about 35kph on the flat even without domestiques.

Well it's the hills and or wind that matter more than flat terrain, obviously you don't really need much power on flat ground.

Even if 250 watts is enough on a typical tour de France stage, the average non drugged user doesn't want to feel that level of pain and so 250 watts might be good enough for a Pro but it will start to feel low power after a few kms up a steep kill.

There again through the bosch Bottom bracket drive it the most efficient way to use that tiny 250 watts of power as you use the bikes gearing and hence greatly increase efficiency where a hub motor will bog down and the power turn to heat, the Bosch (and similar) drives will happily go along pulling you up the hill by you selecting a lower gear.

Electric Bikes like that really help to get you fit or help you tackle the mountains with less pain but you still have to put in the effort.

Forget about cheap bad quality bikes with hubs.

Hubs are great when fed lots of power and in 20 inch rims. But you will be well outside the bicycle territory.

• Advertisement

it'd certainly be complicated explaining to a judge why you think your bike is not a motorbike when it's not a pedelec either

LOL it's back to a mountain bike, all the electrics are off the bike and i sold them.

But the 2nd setup I built really helped me get fit because I wasn't afraid to go out in wind or tackle the hills and I had lots of fun in the process.

No one bothered me nor I anyone. I kept the power to a minimum if in town and always realised drivers will think I'm on a bicycle, so once I didn't act the fool there was no way I was going to get in trouble and the guards didn't care when I passed them either.

I could have very easily made it a full peddle assist, with a switch that if the guards did pull me there is no way they could tell the difference.

And the laws will be changed soon to allow unlimited power but still a speed limit which is good news for those heavier riders who live in hilly terrain or pull a trailer which 250 watts will do nothing only

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,770 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

the measly legal 250 watts that's imposed on Europeans.
    That's it. I'm definitely tending towards the "Tuvalu nationality" plan;)
    Even if 250 watts is enough on a typical tour de France stage, the average non drugged user doesn't want to feel that level of pain
    I do:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

What does the panel think about this kit?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130977791166?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

As far as I can figure you remove your BB axle. The mounting plate for the motor sits over the BB and is retained by the BB axle supplied. You then anchor the mounting plate to the down tube.

I'm thinking of fitting it to my boardman hybrid so as I can cycle to work but Bray Head twice a day is a killer in at my age and weight.

Here's a video of the setup.

trad wrote: »
    What does the panel think about this kit?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130977791166?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

As far as I can figure you remove your BB axle. The mounting plate for the motor sits over the BB and is retained by the BB axle supplied. You then anchor the mounting plate to the down tube.

I'm thinking of fitting it to my boardman hybrid so as I can cycle to work but Bray Head twice a day is a killer in at my age and weight.

That kit would most likely be overkill, but it would certainly pull you up a 20% hill.

That's a GNG kit and pretty good if you only run it at it's rated power, the controller is external making a much more untidy installation.

I really recommend this as the controller is internal. 36 or 48 volts is up to you, 48 volts will mean faster speeds but read the forum and see what best suits you. This guy sells the batteries also.

[URL="http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?

f=31&t=50188"]http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=50188[/URL]

file.php?id=120257

file.php?id=120340&t=1

file.php?id=120341&t=1

Chain drives are the future for low to medium power, hubs still rule for big power unless of course you want a motor bike chain and sprockets.

But chain drives are much more efficient for hill and mountain climbing especially for slow speed trails that it isn't possible to go up with hub motors because hub motors heat up fast under full load going slow up a steep hill.

The hub motor electric bicycles sold in Ireland are mostly junk.

The best ones use the Panasonic and Bosch middle motors. But cost 1500-2500 Euro's. I have the Bosch and I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭bambergbike

Why seeing more e-bikes around makes me happy (even though I don't want one)

1) Drivers are beginning to cop on that cyclists are not two-wheeled pedestrians, but vehicles often doing at least 25 km/h. So they don't look, make eye contact with you and then pull out in front of you anyway because you're "only on a bike" - they wait.

2) Same goes for planners and engineers. If loads of cyclists are zipping around at speeds that seem intimidating to pedestrians, planners become more wary of mixing bikes and pedestrians. They become more aware of how important it is to plan for cycling in a way that allows for a range of different cycling speeds on any given route. And they can use e-bikes when they test-ride cycling infrastructure to make sure they understand what it will look like to a commuter travelling at 25 km/h even if their own default cycling speed is lower.

3) If the average speed of cyclists in a town goes up, fit cyclists on ordinary bikes spend less time stuck behind slower cyclists looking for a chance to overtake. (I live in a town with a massive one-way system which is two-way for bikes, but with narrow contraflows that don't permit much overtaking; everbody has to chug along those at the speed of the slowest cyclist.)

3) Towns seem more spacious and cleaner when more people get around on small, low-emissions vehicles and sight lines get better.

4) Mixed-ability cycling groups (mixed generations, or just fit people and less fit people) are more fun and easier to keep together when the people who need a "push" now and again can just get one at the touch of a button.

5) People on e-bikes are not "lost to cycling". E-bikes are a gateway drug that can get people into cycling. More people on bikes regularly = more people driving who understand cycling.

Why I personally don't want one

Expensive e-bike = security risk and/or the bother of toting heavy locks around - as with any other expensive bike.

Cheap e-bike = cycling-through-treacle feeling when the motor suddenly cuts out at 25 km/h + risk of frame snapping (the forces acting on the frame are greater than with an ordinary bike).

Interestingly enough, there isn't a hill in my local area which I would be able to climb "if only I had a motor." Instead, the exact opposite is true: tourists who hire e-bikes locally (to me) can't use them to cycle up the hill to the castle overlooking the town because the gradient is so steep that only "real" bikes can handle it. That hill doesn't trouble my hybrid, but if I was on an e-bike with the weight skewed heavily towards the back, it would be quite hard to stop the front wheel from lifting up. Not all of them are like that, but lots of them are - it's a point worth paying attention to.

The Bosch system is excellent in the way it applies the power as if you're the one with all the power.

Hills are no problem, I haven't found anything it couldn't climb yet.

I even climbed mount leinster all the way to the mast, 20-25% grades there, but it's pulled me up steeper.

Hills can get tough after a while even on an e-bike such as the Bosch, it makes you work. Which to me is a good thing. You can pedal without power, though some bikes have an sram 3 speed in the rear hub which zaps some pedal power.

There is a bike shop in Dublin City selling the Bosch S-Pedelec which is not allowed on cycle lanes and without insurance but they are selling it as a normal e-bike with 50 kmh speed. This is what is going to give electric bikes a bad rep. So buyers be weary, if it's an S-pedelec you can not use them legally on bike paths. You can not use it legally as a bicycle.

The Bosch is expensive but it's a system you can have for years, pro's spend much more on their bikes. If you commute on it it saves on tax, insurance and petrol/diesel and you may not even need a car.

The diy 40 mph bike I built was ultra fun and I got away with it because I didn't act the idiot or draw attention to myself and I don't live in a very populated area with loads of back roads. You can't go fast in town anyway but it was so handy for the open road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Came across this on the Kenbay Site regarding electric bike legislation.

http://electricbikes.ie/?page_id=106

—– Original Message —– From: “Vehicle Standards Division” < VehicleStandardsDivision@transport.ie >
    To: < gerryb@electricbikes.ie >
    Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2006 4:51 PM
    Subject: Electrically assisted pedal cycles
    Dear Gerry,
    I refer to your telephone query on electrically assisted pedal cycles.
    The Road Traffic Act, 1961 defines a mechanically propelled vehicle (mpv)
    as:-
    “a vehicle intended or adapted for propulsion by mechanical means, including-
    ( a ) a bicycle or tricycle with an attachment for propelling it by mechanical power, whether or not the attachment is being used,
    ( b ) a vehicle the means of propulsion of which is electrical or partly electrical and partly mechanical, but not including a tramcar or other vehicle running on permanent rails;”
    All mpvs must comply with Road Traffic law relating to the construction, equipment and use of vehicles i.e. they must meet all requirements covering such items as brakes, lights, dimensions, weight, springs, wheels, tyres, steering, gears, mudguards, view of the road, mirrors, safety glass, windscreen wipers, mirrors, speedometers, horn, silencer, exhausts emissions, condition and maintenance etc. In addition, a mechanically propelled vehicle may not be used in any public place unless there is in
    place third party insurance cover against its negligent use. A mechanically propelled vehicle is also required to be registered, is subject to motor tax and its driver will require a driving licence.
    Electrically assisted cycles, known as “pedelecs”, which have electric motors which only assist the pedalling effort and which do not act as a means of propulsion in their own right, are not considered to be mechanically propelled vehicles.
    I am obliged to point out that enforcement of the Regulations is a matter for An Garda Síochána while interpretation of them is a matter for the Courts.
    I hope this information is helpful.
    Yours sincerely,
    Johanna XXXXXX
    Vehicle Standards Division

S pedelec are pedal only and they are still illegal as bicycles because what wasn't mentioned is the 15.5 mph speed limit still applies along with the 250 watt limit.

However the E.U is somewhat relaxed these days on the power, Bosch actually get away with over 500 watts legally because of the way the power is limited, max power will usually only come where you need it, on hills.

There are talks of unlimited power but still the pedal only and 15.5 mph speed limit. The Idea is people who like to pull a lot of weight up hill can do so without straining the smaller motor.

I never had a problem with throttle only even but then again I didn't act the idiot or abuse others on the road.

I certainly wouldn't buy kenbay bikes, they are grossly over priced Chinese rubbish. At least the Bosch bikes are expensive but they are quality bikes, especially the German made such as Haibike.

Seriously the Kenbay bikes are bought for no more than about 300-400 Euro's and sold for about 1500, complete rip off.

Id like to see the kenbay bikes climb hills like the Bosch.

There are some good quality bikes and kits now from China but kenbay bikes are certainly not quality.

Why did someone post here today about electric bikes and then delete it ?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,770 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It was deleted by a mod

Advertisement