Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog attacked my child - heartbroken

Options
  • 03-12-2011 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Bit of background - our dog is a 2 yr old neutered terrier cross. We got him from a shelter in May where they told us he was suitable for a home with young children. He's a brilliant dog in most other ways. We've put a lot of work into him, training, building his confidence, getting him used to our cats etc. He has snapped at our younger child in the past but that was because she took his food bowl away while he was eating, so we nipped that in the bud by using the technique where you give him his food and take it away a couple of times.

So last night, he was sitting at my feet when my kid went over, put her head down to him (which she does all the time - they are very affectionate with him) and he went for her, biting several times by the time I was able to pull him off her. Luckily she turned her face away from him so he only got the back of her head and didn't break skin, but still - she was lucky. It was definitely not a warning - it was vicious - very distressing.

We are devastated about it. I'm not sure we can rehome a dog that bites. Euthansia is a LAST resort but we absolutely cannot have a dog with these tendencies around our children, never mind the other children that often visit our home. I have contacted a trainer so am waiting for her to get back to me. Also, I am going to ring the vet this morning for advice.

I'm not really sure what advice I'm looking for..... :( Just needed to write it down.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Aww i'm so sorry to hear! That is very strange that he went for her, without her doing anything to him. Could be any little thing that could upset them, always to do with their past and ways people approach them. Do you know what your little terrier is crossed with?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

KittyKat wrote: »
    Aww i'm so sorry to hear! That is very strange that he went for her, without her doing anything to him. Could be any little thing that could upset them, always to do with their past and ways people approach them. Do you know what your little terrier is crossed with?

They said he was a bichon cross but I don't see anything bichon about him. I'd say he's more cairn/westie maybe.

I thought maybe he might be sick or off form but he was in grand form all day, eating etc.

Dd did nothing out of the ordinary, didn't hurt him, always gentle etc.

I'd like to think it was a once off but how can I take that risk of it happening again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭varadero

There is only 1 logical thing to do, or you will live to regret it, i wouldnt take the chance .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Aww i feel your pain. I live with a guy who took in two terriers from a puppy rescue. They are both male. Hes had one for five years westie cross and the other with the last two years a yorkshire cross (he thinks). He trained and nursed them back to full health. The westie seems very placid but sceptical of new people, he adapted to me after a few days though, i dont have any trouble with him.
    The yorkshire is still a bit touchy from time to time. He growls a lot and you would think he would go for you but he went through obedience training to get rid of that. My friend said they both were a lot worse and that all they need is time, care and love to get it out of their system, he gradually sees their anger fading over time. Hope this little story helps. :)

In your situation with kids around, i would agree with Varadero above, thats my opinion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

varadero wrote: »
    There is only 1 logical thing to do, or you will live to regret it, i wouldnt take the chance .
    I agree, the very fact you had to pull the dog off your precious child is enough

• Advertisement

alie wrote: »
    varadero wrote: »
    I agree, the very fact you had to pull the dog off your precious child is enough

I know. It's really a no brainer but it's so hard. Watching him running around the garden wagging his tail - heart is broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

Treat him like a lesser member of the pack, he's looking to become top dog. He needs discipline and to be put in his place. Put him outside and leave him there, feed him and exercise him. That's his new role -watch dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

I feel for you OP - not sure which rescue you got your dog from - the rescue i got my westie from, will not place them in a home with children under 10 - they can be quick to get annoyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

rsole1 wrote: »
    Treat him like a lesser member of the pack, he's looking to become top dog. He needs discipline and to be put in his place. Put him outside and leave him there, feed him and exercise him. That's his new role -watch dog.
    Wood you still keep a dog who attacked your children? i couldnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Put the Dog in the back garden!!! Come on people, the amount of stories I'm reading on this bloody forum about people that are heartbroken cause their dog attacked their child in the house. What do you expect? Dogs are territorial animals, and I don't care how much grief I get for this - THEY BELONG OUTSIDE!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Call the rescue and ask what they think, they may suggest rehoming somewhere with no small children.
    Get him checked by the vet to ensure he isn't sick or in pain, just so you can rule that out.
    Its hard I know, we took in a small dog years ago, but he bit my toddler out of the blue one day (I had been so careful, kept them always in sight, she new how to behave as was bought up with pets, but he just walked up to us one day and growled and bit her hand) and I had to rehome him, its just not worth the risk, we had no idea what life he had before coming to us.
    He went to an older couple with no kids, and was great with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Put the Dog in the back garden!!! Come on people, the amount of stories I'm reading on this bloody forum about people that are heartbroken cause their dog attacked their child in the house. What do you expect? Dogs are territorial animals, and I don't care how much grief I get for this - THEY BELONG OUTSIDE!!!!

I have had dogs all my life as have my family, all have been in the house, all from pups (except the one in my story above) and never had a bite happen.
    I have been bitten twice, by friends dogs, both dogs were outside dogs, how do you explain that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Sorry to hear that your child was attacked. It sounds like the dog maybe jealous of the child approaching you. Did you have children before getting he dog?

If your not happy to keep the dog then I would advise to try and rehome. I understand your concerns about the dog possibly bitting someone else, but really it is the responsibility of the person who rescues him. The dog might never bite again. So don't get hung up on what might happen. I would fully support your idea of giving the dog up though as it will be difficult for you to ever trust him around your kids again.

Small dogs make great companions for older people who have no kids so there are options.

Best of luck with whatever decision you make.

i agree with bullsye1 and mymo - go back to the rescue and get them to rehome the dog for you - reputable rescues will stand over one of their dogs for life and they should be happy to help.

mymo wrote: »
    Call the rescue and ask what they think, they may suggest rehoming somewhere with no small children.
    Get him checked by the vet to ensure he isn't sick or in pain, just so you can rule that out.
    Its hard I know, we took in a small dog years ago, but he bit my toddler out of the blue one day (I had been so careful, kept them always in sight, she new how to behave as was bought up with pets, but he just walked up to us one day and growled and bit her hand) and I had to rehome him, its just not worth the risk, we had no idea what life he had before coming to us.
    He went to an older couple with no kids, and was great with them.

This is what we're hoping to do. He'd be well suited for a home with no kids. Just spoke to vet there who suggested contacting the shelter too. Only thing is, they rarely answer phone. Gonna try and hope for the best.

Penname wrote: »
    This is what we're hoping to do. He'd be well suited for a home with no kids. Just spoke to vet there who suggested contacting the shelter too. Only thing is, they rarely answer phone. Gonna try and hope for the best.

best of luck OP - are they on facebook? many of them are - you could send them a pm as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Garzorico

I cannot believe there are people even contemplating you keeping the dog. I have 2 dogs and 2 small kids in the house and if either dog were to attack one of the kids it would be end game for the dog immediately. Poster who suggested they are trying to get up the 'pack' pecking order is spot on, they are doing just that and will not change their behaviour. If the child hurt the dog I daresay you'd get over it in a flash and wouldn't feel the need to seek opinion get it off your chest. Get rid of the dog, no question.

mymo wrote: »
    I have had dogs all my life as have my family, all have been in the house, all from pups (except the one in my story above) and never had a bite happen.
    I have been bitten twice, by friends dogs, both dogs were outside dogs, how do you explain that?

:rolleyes:

First off, I have no idea who your friends are or what kind of dogs you have so your lame attempt to beat my argument with "experience" is somewhat pointless.

In any other forum but this, people would accept that animals are always unpredictable. I mean how many times have you read about people being "shocked" that their precious pet turned on their child?

I have a springer spaniel, and he's the gentlest creature you could meet, but he doesn't share a house with my 7 month old daughter. He has a massive kennel and a massive run in the back garden, and he absolutely loves it. (2 of the warmest blankets you could imagine in the kennel).

kids and animals sharing living space is just a recipe for disaster.

Cue the endless supply of "Oh buy MY dog would never do such a thing" yeah right...until he does it.

For the OP...Please don't put down the dog. Try and rehome it if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

Thankfully someone with a bit of cop on.

I have four Jack russels and they live in a barn outside. They are well fed and exercised - and in return they let me know if any strangers are around. Oh and of course they don't like rats either. They are not pets and they don't mix with children as terriers are naturally aggressive being bred for hunting.

Put him outside and he'll soon settle down to his new life.

• Advertisement

Thankfully someone with a bit of cop on.

I have four Jack russels and they live in a barn outside. They are well fed and exercised - and in return they let me know if any strangers are around. Oh and of course they don't like rats either. They are not pets and they don't mix with children as terriers are naturally aggressive being bred for hunting.

i agree with your take on the terrier personality - i dont think they are great for a house with kids. mine are indoor dogs but i have no kids and i know for a fact that i would not trust my male dog full time around children - hes fine with visitors but he doesnt like to be annoyed.

i would worry about putting the dog outside - - i'm not critcising you at all - you obviously have a great set up for your four and they are company for each other but i'd hate to see a dog dumped in a back garden when it could be rehomed to a more appropriate environment.

The argument isn't whether the dog bit inside or outside that is missing the point. It could just as easily have happened outside. So that argument is invalid. Dogs are just as territorial outside, if not more as they spray their scent outside to mark their property.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    The argument isn't whether the dog bit inside or outside that is missing the point. It could just as easily have happened outside. So that argument is invalid. Dogs are just as territorial outside, if not more as they spray their scent outside to mark their property.

Yes but how often will your child spend outside compared to inside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

the bottom line here is,the dog must be removed from the family home

Thank you all for the advice. Have taken it all on board and have been on phone to vet and shelter. Got good advice from both and have a trainer coming out to advise us.

If all comes to all, he'll be rehomed to a childless house.

Well ideally kids should be out every hour of daylight. They would be healthier and less likely to be obese but that's another topic. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

terriers are naturally aggressive being bred for hunting.

That is rubbish. I have terriers and they are fantastic with my children including with one who has a serious disability. Not all terriers are aggressive with children. Punish the deed not the breed. A good working ability in a terrier who can kill rats etc does not mean he is likely to try and kill the children.

And if you put the dog out in the back garden, he will be miserable.

To the OP I'm not sure if you will get a rescue that will want to rehome this dog given his history especially at this time of year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

kids and animals sharing living space is just a recipe for disaster.
    I'd kinda agree with this myself. For a start I'd never trust any dog unsupervised with small children. Luckily the OP doesn't do that and stopped the attack, but I know too many people who are quite blase about this. Particularly with the smaller breeds thinking of them as "safer". I've had way more small breeds snap at me in my life than large breeds and gun to my head I'd trust the average Rottweiler around kids far more than the average Terrier. The small ones can often get away with murder because they're "cuter". Like I've said before, terrier jumps on your lap and growls at strangers = "ahhh he's protecting me(he's not)" Versus German shepherd jumps on your lap and growls at a stranger = "call the Guards! It's an attack dog!!".
    In any other forum but this, people would accept that animals are always unpredictable
    I'd agree with this too. Hell people are pretty unpredictable and we can read each other a lot better than most can read dogs. I've seen people hugging dogs thinking this was cute and the dog liked it, yet one look at the dog and it was usually licking it's lips with eyes darting. Clearly indicating discomfort.

Look at the OP's situation. Child puts their head down to the dog. This can be quite threatening for a dog. In the dog world it's invading space/dominance. Now they may take this time and time again, but all it takes is the once when it thinks "feck this for a game of soldiers. I've warned them often enough, time to put my point across that they're taking liberties". IMHO this is actually more likely with an otherwise well behaved submissive dog. A more dominant dog would have growled and put their point across long before the biting would be needed.

We've all snapped at/had arguments with loved ones in our lives. Sometimes real humdingers. A dog will do the same, but uses it's teeth to get the point across, especially if it's already given clear signs in the dog world to back off. Signs that a remarkable amount of people miss or ignore. Children doubly so. Naturally, they're kids. Plus they tend to poke and prod and yelp, which can trigger all sorts of switches in the dog mind.

Again more a problem with the smaller dogs IMHO. A high pitched yelp and growl from a Pom will often go ignored when the same from a Husky would get the point across. Again IMHO little dogs wrongly get a lot of stick for being snappy and it's down to human reactions not the dogs. Ditto for ignoring their prey instinct. Like rsole1 said JRT's were bred for ratting and the like. Their ratting skills would have the best rat catching cat in the world hanging their head in shame. They were once just as much a "working breed" as a German Shepherd.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Knine wrote: »
    That is rubbish. I have terriers and they are fantastic with my children including with one who has a serious disability. Not all terriers are aggressive with children. Punish the deed not the breed. A good working ability in a terrier who can kill rats etc does not mean he is likely to try and kill the children.

To the OP I'm not sure if you will get a rescue that will want to rehome this dog given his history especially at this time of year.

its not rubbish - its true - any research on terriers will tell you they have a natural hunting instinct and can be quick to annoy; no one is saying all terriers are aggressive nor are they attacking the breed (i wouldnt have any other type of dog as i love them so much) - mine certainly arent aggressive but i wouldnt trust them unsupervised with children or around children full time.

outdoors for a dog is fine IF the owner has the appropriate set up for them.

any responsible rescue will stand over its dogs for life and will help the OP rehome the dog to a more approriate environment. You have given no advice here at all!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Penname wrote: »
    Thank you all for the advice. Have taken it all on board and have been on phone to vet and shelter. Got good advice from both and have a trainer coming out to advise us.

If all comes to all, he'll be rehomed to a childless house.
    Fair play P :) My take would be a once off incident in an otherwise good dog shouldn't condemn the dog, especially if its buttons were pushed. Trainer a great idea too. Hope it works out for you and your family.
    Knine wrote: »
    Maybe and it would certainly be a shock to the system for a previously house bound dog, but I'd also suggest in the majority of cases the owner would be miserable and project this onto the dog. I've found human projection of all kinds, often quite wrong, is endemic in dog lovers and the more dog lover they are the more this goes on.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement