Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychiatrist calls for lithium to be added to water

Options
  • 02-12-2011 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭

Happy days :)
    A consultant psychiatrist last night called on Government to add lithium salts to the public water supply in a bid to lower the suicide rate and depression among the general population.
    At a mental health forum on “Depression in Rural Ireland” in Ennistymon, Co Clare, Dr Moosajee Bhamjee said that “there is growing scientific evidence that adding trace amounts of the drug lithium to a water supply can lower rates of suicide and depression”.
    Lithium is used by doctors as a mood stabiliser in the treatment for depression.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/1202/1224308474582.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Urquell

So much for solving the problems, just suppress the symptoms instead.

Why not add Whiskey to the supply. Cure everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 1984ishere

Too bad I don't trust tap water. Unless you test the water yourself, you should never drink municipal tap water. Those controlling the water supply could be adding anything to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It was only a matter of time until it was suggested here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056279478

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

1984ishere wrote: »
    Too bad I don't trust tap water. Unless you test the water yourself, you should never drink municipal tap water. The Government could be adding anything to it.
    /tinfoil hat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Adhamh

Actually just fuck everything about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

free drugs ?

i like it

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

www.flickr.com/photos/clarelabour/5884418547/

Guy on the left is who proposed it.

Just sayin..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

He must be fecking mad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

Along with the oestrogen that's already in it? So we'll all be happy trannies with moobs, except the wimmin, who will all be frustrated 'cos there are no real men left to give them a good seeing to. Good plan.

• Advertisement

Why not just lobotomise the depressed? It worked in the past. Psychiatry is founded upon an extremely scientific foundation of primary knowledge.

They really know exactly how drugs like Zoloft, lithium etc work inside the brain of depressed people.

Screw lithium. Why not just give the people opiates? They used to give babies this gear in the past to shut them up in years gone by.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Just sayin..
    Jaysus you could slap a superman t-shirt on him and throw him into the goonies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

"..there is always soma, delicious soma, half a gramme for a half-holiday, a gramme for a week-end, two grammes for a trip to the gorgeous East, three for a dark eternity on the moon..."

Yea!!

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

We will be paying for water soon, so having a debate as what goes into it is inevitable

Drugs are bad. MMMkay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Daithi 1

least we'll be happy about it by then....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

and so i am already on medicine for a long term ailment, and if this man gets his way, i will be taking another medicine which could effect the way my medicine works,
    and all medicines do not suit all people, some people can have a reaction to certain midicines,
    there may be ten people suffering with depression, and there may be ten thousand using the same water supply, so he wants to give medicine to people who do not need in,
    it is a mad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Andromeda_111

Just sayin..

:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

Just sayin..
    He looks legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Andromeda_111

jiltloop wrote: »
    Jaysus you could slap a superman t-shirt on him and throw him into the goonies.

:pac::pac: I was thinking the same when I saw his pic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Great,I'll save a shítload on my prescription!

Now if they'd only add citalopram I'd be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

"..there is always soma, delicious soma, half a gramme for a half-holiday, a gramme for a week-end, two grammes for a trip to the gorgeous East, three for a dark eternity on the moon..."

Yea!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

Urquell wrote: »
    So much for solving the problems, just suppress the symptoms instead.

nail on head

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

did they get that article right,am thinking that it shoud say he is seeing a consultant pyschiatrist,not that he is one.:confused:
    lithium coudnt be added to water,as it may intefer with the drugs that people are already prescribed,people may be on lithium already so it woud be overdosing, it may badly interact for some people and in any case why shoud people have chemicals which manipulate neurobiology forced on them?

surprised he isnt thinking adding heroin to the water to take the money away from the dealers and tax teh peoples of ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Would he also recommend lithium to people who don't have depression? What about side effects / allergies / pregnant women / people already on meds?
    Also some people drink more water than others.
    Dr Bhamjee said: “A recent article in the British Journal of Psychiatry found the beneficial uses of lithium when it was added to the water supply in parts of Texas.”
    The same country who famously experimented with LSD in their water supply... not surprised really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

It was only a matter of time until it was suggested here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056279478

for a minute there I thought I had time traveled, knew I thought I saw a thread on it here somewhere!

Are they trying to solve the future energy crisis by turning people into batteries!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

Dangerous!

I threw a chunk of pure Lithium into a toilet a few years ago and it cracked the jacks!

I had to pay for it but it was the best money I've ever spent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

We will all be charged up like (lithium) batteries.
    We already have fluoride and an aluminium derivative for filtration added, we want less chemicals in the water. Have these people got shares in bottled water companies.?

Advertisement