Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irregardless

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Id say your great craic in the workplace

You're.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Johro wrote: »
    It's a perfectly cromulent word.

Embiggen yourself along there, please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭zero_hope

In relation to other threads on various fora on boards.ie I find that this one sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

mattjack wrote: »
    Embiggen yourself along there, please.
    I will after I discombobulate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Omackeral wrote: »
    Have you ever had an instance when people outnumbered you and told you that in no uncertain terms you were the idiot despite the fact you knew otherwise?
    When I was about fourteen our school held a table quiz. I was looking forward to winning loads of money or great prizes but I made the mistake of teaming up with my friends who were all morons.

One of the questions that was asked was "what crop does the Colorado beetle destroy?". I thought it was an incredibly easy question because it was all over the news at the time. I immediately said "potato" but no one would listen to me and the team captain wrote down "corn". I got loads of other answers right but no one would listen to me about any of them. I think our team came last.

Twenty odd years later I still haven't forgiven the bastards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

When I was about fourteen our school held a table quiz. I was looking forward to winning loads of money or great prizes but I made the mistake of teaming up with my friends who were all morons.

One of the questions that was asked was "what crop does the Colorado beetle destroy?". I thought it was an incredibly easy question because it was all over the news at the time. I immediately said "potato" but no one would listen to me and the team captain wrote down "corn". I got loads of other answers right but no one would listen to me about any of them. I think our team came last.

Twenty odd years later I still haven't forgiven the bastards.
    They should all be taken outside and shot in front of their fam...
    Oh wait..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

No..... Just no. It does not make sense as a word.

Regard.

Regardless
    i.e. Without regard.

'Irregardless' i.e. Without without regard?

The amazing part is, even when I pointed this out to a fella in work, I was treated as the fool. 8 out of 10 people sided with him. This proved he was right apparently.

Have you ever had an instance when people outnumbered you and told you that in no uncertain terms you were the idiot despite the fact you knew otherwise?

You're assuming that the "ir" prefix always negates the word, like the "in" prefix does in words like "coherent" and "incoherent" ?

Flammable = "can take fire"
    Inflammable, on the other hand........;)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

Regard.

Regardless
    i.e. Without regard.

The amazing part is, even when I pointed this out to a fella in work, I was treated as the fool. 8 out of 10 people sided with him. This proved he was right apparently.

It's not a great word, but you are still wrong.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Regard.

Regardless
    i.e. Without regard.

Yes. It sucks when that happens.
    Me and six of my buds were holding down this girl and taking turns on her, she was not happy and said 'we were wrong to be doing this'. :rolleyes: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭AlkalineAcid

Brothers and sisters I have none, but that man's father is my father's son. Who is that man?
    The answer is my son but everyone agreed it was me.
    10/10 people including the person who told us this gave the wrong answer and said I was the idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

What I really hate is people saying "I seen" and "I done" instead of "I saw" or "I did"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭hoorsmelt

Your mate won, the Oxford dictionary lists it as a word

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/irregardless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

hoorsmelt wrote: »
    Your mate won, the Oxford dictionary lists it as a word

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/irregardless

And specifies that it is considered "incorrect".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It's in a few other dictionaries as well.

http://www.onelook.com/?w=irregardless&ls=a

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

"Same difference".

Shouldn't it be "same thing" or "no difference"

:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Much of a muchness

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Stop it with the made up words or i'll fusticate the lot of you.

Advertisement