Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sending a package to OZ need suggestions!

Options
  • 02-12-2011 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

I hope this is the right forum!!

Ok, so the story goes like this, We had a really sudden death in the family this year and my best mate who is also a really good friend of the family, who's been living in austrialia for the last few years got word and got straight on a plane home to go to the funeral. In the process he burned all his savings that he intended to use for coming home at Christmas time.

So because he cant be here this year i want to send a box of all things irish for himself and the missis so far im thinking packets of King, chocolate that u cant get there, barrys tea bags after that im kinda stumped :confused:

Theres nowhere better for suggestions so if you got em let me have please :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Just send a bucket of rain :P

Ah no, eh, A can of Guinness. Red Lemonade. A corrupt politician. A pedophile priest

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

strife wrote: »

Ok, so the story goes like this, We had a really sudden death in the family this year and my best mate who is also a really good friend of the family, who's been living in austrialia for the last few years got word and got straight on a plane home to go to the funeral. In the process he burned all his savings that he intended to use for coming home at Christmas time.

So because he cant be here this year i want to send a box of all things irish for himself and the missis so far im thinking packets of King, chocolate that u cant get there, barrys tea bags after that im kinda stumped :confused:

Can you even send food to Australia?

They're pretty Nazi-like on that "Nothing to Declare" show.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Bear in mind that Aussie customs is very strict. You might want to check with what you can and can't send over. Here's a bit of a list: http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/mail/cant-mail

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Send him an IOU.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Heard them talking about this exact thing on ray D'arcy during the week. 'Irish' hampers to australia. Yes the ozzies are nazi's about imported food etc but they are done through bord bia, why not check that opion out.

Ballymaloe relish, tayto crisps, Barry's tea etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

There are online stores over in Oz that import most of that stuff and can deliver Irish goods for you, might be cheaper than sending them yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Stew :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 147 ✭✭massiveattack

Turf, everyone loves turf, cant go wrong with turf.

Failing that, why not Zoidberg?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Sky King wrote: »
    Ballymaloe relish,

Goes very well with Peadophile Pie so i hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Worst rain I think I've ever experienced was standing in the middle of Sydney CBD.

Great how the weather in all these places around the world looks good on tv and postcards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

I dunno if some of these can be bought in oz, but just an idea

Crisps for a start. That tayto/king taste is very hard to get
    Brown Sauce - Impossible to get outside UK/Ireland
    Bisto and/or Oxo -
    Refershers - Something I've only ever seen in UK/Ireland
    Fruit Salads (do they still make them fecking things?)
    Mince Pies
    A selection box (I know that's covered in chocolate, but it's a selection box and ya just HAVE to have one of them for christmas)
    Bombay Mix
    Record the LLS toy show tonight burn it onto a cd and include that
    Specifically Irish comedys (Rubberbandits) or In Bruges, the Snapper etc;

Any help?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Hunky Dorys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Buckfast

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

Anyone that advises Barrys tea should be shot. Send him lyons tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Paige Turner

Irish shop in Oz that will deliver pre-made or make your own hampers:

http://www.tasteireland.com.au/

(minimum order of $40)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭strife

Ah no, eh, A can of Guinness. Red Lemonade. A corrupt politician. A pedophile priest
    Oh can of the black stuff thats going in!
    El Weirdo wrote: »
    Can you even send food to Australia?

They're pretty Nazi-like on that "Nothing to Declare" show.
    your safe so long as you dont send nuts, seeds, meats , wood, drugs or anything thats alive lol i was also reading the will go through the box and dump anything they dont like!
    Turf, everyone loves turf, cant go wrong with turf.

Failing that, why not Zoidberg?
    They defo wont allow the turf
    Eviledna wrote: »
    Hunky Dorys.
    Defo going in!
    RachaelVO wrote: »

Bisto and/or Oxo -
    Mince Pies
    A selection box (I know that's covered in chocolate, but it's a selection box and ya just HAVE to have one of them for christmas)
    Bombay Mix

Any help?
    I see you must have done this before the LLS toy show is a genius idea,
    Thats defo going in!!
    Dancor wrote: »
    Anyone that advises Barrys tea should be shot. Send him lyons tea.
    Agreed Lyons it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LostGirly

Club Orange!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

My sister sent me out a Parcel when I lived there. It was stopped by customs and opened but they let it through.
    I was sent.
    Barrys Tea
    Haribos
    Chocolate Kimberlys
    Tayto Crisps

Have to say it was a fantastic pressie...God bless ya Sis.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Ainekav

You could send them a few books (by irish authors - on irish topics) or a paper. I used to trek miles in San Francisco to get the Saturday times and they had none of the supplements in it! I was gonna say the rte guide but that wouldn't be much use haha.

you have to do the LLS that's brilliant
    Hmmmm
    What else is Irish and christmas??

whiskey? for hot whiskeys? or irish coffees?
    I'd send a few photos of his favourite places aswell if you wre handy with a camera?
    beaches or nice views?
    is that a bit crap?

penneys socks for the wife would probably be a good one. no one buys their socks anywhere else in Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Ainekav

Ah jesus that hamper crowd have 15L tubs of Curry Sauce and Fat Frogs!!

• Advertisement

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RachaelVO

Bisto and/or Oxo -
    Mince Pies
    Bombay Mix

Any help?
    I see you must have done this before the LLS toy show is a genius idea,
    Thats defo going in!!

Not so much that I've done it before, but not currently living at home (the netherlands, so not as far away as Oz) and it's stuff I always want. Thankfully I can still see the toy show (RTE Player International in beta). Mind you the ONE thing I ALWAYS want is butter and tea! (Yes butter, butter here is sh1te)!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭caitmb

Irish shop in Oz that will deliver pre-made or make your own hampers:

http://www.tasteireland.com.au/

(minimum order of $40)

I've used these a few times and my brother was delighted with his bits! Choc,crisps,curry sauce(?),loads of stuff really. Cheaper than buying stuff separately and posting it. Doing the same again this yr....not very original but anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jiffybag

Taste Ireland is a great website for all the 'home favourites' . Why dont you just buy some stuff from their website and get it posted to your friend . Will probably be a cheaper option and will arrive before Xmas too. I met the guy who runs that website 2yrs ago on a visit to Sydney , he is a big GAA fan and puts lots of money and effort into local GAA clubs in OZ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

things to avoid are:

nuts and seeds (unless in the chocolate itself)
    any perishables
    anything homemade (ie. must be in proper retail packaging)
    any liquids of any sort

teabags are touch and go, as they are a plant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

There's a "Reeling in the Decades" boxset out now - DVDs of the "Reeling in the Years" TV show.

It's compatible on aussie DVD players & costs about 30 bucks. I got it for my brother in Australia.

There's a "Reeling in the Decades" boxset out now - DVDs of the "Reeling in the Years" TV show.

It's compatible on aussie DVD players & costs about 30 bucks. I got it for my brother in Australia.

That's a class idea! Feck that, I want it... hmmm must put this on my list for Santa ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

TK Red Lemonade
    Monster Munch
    Mikado
    Jameson 12 year aged whiskey - most delicious whiskey I have ever tasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ENMcD

soda bread
    crunchies??
    barrys tea:D
    def taytos

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

White pudding

That should get you onto Nothing to Declare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

Taytos
    Irish Cadburys chocolate