Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheltenham preview nights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

mccarte2 wrote: »
    If Davy told me the sky was blue, I'd still have to look up and check. Told us Weapons Amnesty had no chance of winning the RSA 2 years ago :rolleyes:

Told everyone a load of bull a few years ago, was at 2 preview nights with him and he said nothing about Tiger Cry, he goes and wins the Grand Annual and being interviewed by RUK after the race he says, "I knew he was my best chance of a winner, I've had to bite my tongue not to say it at all the preview nights I've done!"

Thanks. For. That. :rolleyes:

Wanted us all to back Beef Or Salmon to be placed in the Gold Cup one year at 33's :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭mccarte2

kfallon wrote: »
    Told everyone a load of bull a few years ago, was at 2 preview nights with him and he said nothing about Tiger Cry, he goes and wins the Grand Annual and being interviewed by RUK after the race he says, "I knew he was my best chance of a winner, I've had to bite my tongue not to say it at all the preview nights I've done!"

Thanks. For. That. :rolleyes:

Wanted us all to back Beef Or Salmon to be placed in the Gold Cup one year at 33's :pac:

His best bet 2 years ago was split between Tavern Times in the bumper and War of Attrition in the World Hurdle :rolleyes:

Anyway, enough of the Davy bashing now. Don't want to sour by enthusiastic Cheltenham mood!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Considering the horse ran in 5 Gold Cups and the biggest price he ever went off was 16/1 sounds like good advice to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

christies in Arklow arent having one this year surprisingly. anyone know if any other pubs in Arklow are having one?

Considering the horse ran in 5 Gold Cups and the biggest price he ever went off was 16/1 sounds like good advice to me!

Want to remind me of his record in the previous 4 attempts???

• Advertisement

Want to remind me of his record in the previous 4 attempts???

If you can give me a horse currently 33/1 but will be 16s on the day please do, their performance on the day is irrelevant as I will have secured my profit/free bet, and the horse was 4/1f 12 months previous so the 33/1 did seem very generous, hindsight obviously tells us the horse just absolutely hated Cheltenham and good ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

Slattsy wrote: »
    Can't make tonight Hucklebuck, was hoping to have a pint with ya but such is life :(

No problem man, next time gadget, next time. I should have my notes up by tomorrow night.

If you can give me a horse currently 33/1 but will be 16s on the day please do, their performance on the day is irrelevant as I will have secured my profit/free bet, and the horse was 4/1f 12 months previous so the 33/1 did seem very generous, hindsight obviously tells us the horse just absolutely hated Cheltenham and good ground.

He was not putting it up as a back to lay on the exchanges, he actually thought the horse was a good thing to at least place in the race despite his Gold Cup form of F4P0

Hindsight didn't tell us anything, it was all there in the formbook to tell you the horse had no chance in the Gold Cup.

He was not putting it up as a back to lay on the exchanges, he actually thought the horse was a good thing to at least place in the race despite his Gold Cup form of F4P0

Hindsight didn't tell us anything, it was all there in the formbook to tell you the horse had no chance in the Gold Cup.

Jaysus did everyone there have to be spoon fed, he gave a horse that halved in price surely even the most moronic that took he's advice layed off part of it??

Agreed it was all in the formbook and quite clearly not the race, track or ground for the horse, but that was a fairly average GC, Turpid Green placed in it, and he had finished fourth in a GC which was certainly on a par with it, enough people obviously had their money down.

We have gone way off topic here and I appreciate what you were saying and I agree re Russell just felt you could have used a better example ;) Beefy is an old favourite of mine and I tend to get in a lot of ''discussions'' over him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Rhinestone Cowboy

More Sprinter Sacre hype at Paddy Powers night ...

Barry Geraghty's response when asked, was he concerned about the cheltenham hill for Sprinter Sacre? Barry replied :
    I am very concerned...concerned that there isn't enough room at the top of it to pull him up!
    http://www.fatjockey.com/news-blogs/racing_news.php?Cheltenham-Preview-Round-Up-38

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Rhinestone Cowboy

Another Report CVB http://http://www.betsmarttrading.com/forum/horse-racing/18955--cheltenham-festival-2012-bets-thread-?limit=15&start=195

Friend was at preview last night,

Below is what I took away from the Chelts Preview Night in Westmanstown last night. I am sure that I missed a few things or whatever, but it’s a start. I will get some more notes off a few lads that were there and see is there anything else to add in later. All were unanimous on Hurricane Fly / Quevega / Sprinter Sacre / Big Bucks winning at the festival. I understand that picking the big dogs to win each race is predictable and safe, but they are very high on all of the above, and avoiding individual mistakes, they will all win.

Boston Bob and Nobel Prince (BG’s pick of the Festival) were also held in very high regard.

Paul Nicholls and Willie Mullins were brought in by conference call, they didn’t give away too much, but Mullins picked out Sweet My Lord as his e/w punt of the festival in the Pertemps, and Nicholls outlined that he thought Zarkander was a very good e/w punt.

DR = Davy Russell
    RW = Ruby Walsh
    BG = Barry Geraghty
    PP = Paddy Power
    CM = Colm Murphy
    DMcC = Don McClean
    JH = Jessica Harraington

Tuesday 13th

13.30 Supreme Novices Hurdle

RW - Darlan
    JH - Steps to Freedom (very high on this horse)
    BG - Darlan
    DMcC - Steps to Freedom

14.05 Arkle

BG - Sprinter Sacre (thinks the horse is top class and won't be beaten)
    RW - Thinks Al Ferof must improve to beat Sprinter. Go for Al Ferof on PP's Money Back Special
    PP - Sprinter Sacre
    JH - Sprinter Sacre (BG informs her that this horse may be better than Moscow Flyer)
    DR - Peddlers Cross to place
    CM - Sprinter Sacre
    DMcC - Sprinter Sacre

15.20 Champion Hurdle

RW - Hurricane, no doubts
    PP - Hurricane
    JH - Oscar Wells to place, Hurricane to romp.
    BG - Hurricane (nailed on) / Oscar is value
    DR - Hurricane
    CM - Binocular to be 2nd, better than people think
    DMcC - Hurricane

Wednesday 14th

13.30 National Hunt Chase

RW - Alle Garde on good ground
    PP - watch out for who Mullins puts in the race

14.05 Neptune

DMcC - Monksland
    PP - Monksland good value
    RW - whatever Wille Mullins runs
    JH - Simonsig if runs

14.40 RSA Chase

RW - Grand Crus is very beatable and reckons Sir Des Champs has a good chance if runs
    BG - Bobs Worth has a big chance (3 for 3 in Chelts)
    PP - Bobs Worth
    DR - Call the Police has a chance if runs
    JH - watch out for W Mullins who he runs
    CM - whatever horse D Russell rides (if he rides First Lieutenant in particular)
    DMcC - First Lieutenant
    *MO'L - e/w bet on First Lieutenant (Michael O’Leary was asked on a radio show for a pick out of his horses)

**I got the feeling from the panel that First Lieutenant will win this race, but that’s just my feeling!

15.20 QM Chase

JH - Sizing Europe (but closer than people think!)
    DR - good ground = good for Zeb
    PP - Sizing Europe a cert
    RW - Sizing hard to beat
    DMcC - top 2 will be close
    CM - very happy with the way Zeb is going at the minute
    BG - Zeb willl be closer than people think to SIzing

Thursday 15th

14.40 Ryanair Chase

JH - Albertas Run / Rubi Light
    RW - Albertas Run could surprise everyone and pop up and win, Rubi Light vulnerable on good ground
    DMcC - Nobel Prince has a huge chance
    DR - Nobel Prince is his bet of the festival - NAP
    BG - Respect paid to Somersby
    CM - Nobel Prince and Somersby
    DMcC - Nobel Prince (but will be competitive)

15.20 World Hurdle

RW - Bucks (w/ Thousand Stars doing well)
    BG - Thousand Stars is value, but Bucks will win
    PP - Bucks
    JH - Bucks
    DR - Bucks
    CM - Voler la Vadette e/w (he runs in this race defo)
    DMcC - Bucks (w/ thousand stars)

17.15 Champion Bumper

**STEER CLEAR OF THIS RACE was the main opinion

PP - Moscow Mannion best of the Irish, but Irish will more than likely not win it
    DR - Royal Guardsman
    JH - Moscow Mannion (although you should wait till the day of the race and see what the word is)
    CM – Nigel Twiston Davies horse, whatever he is called

Friday 16th

13.30 Triumph Hurdle

PP - Alot of money for Ranjann / Shadow Catcher / Balder Success
    RW - Ut di Sivola impressive horse, as is Pearl Swan
    JH - doesnt know
    DR - steer clear of this race!!
    BG - Lyvius (if she performs well in Newbury this Friday - watch out for this)
    CM - Sadlers Risk
    DMcC - Shadow Catcher good value

14.40 Albert Bartlett

DR - Ipsos Du Berle is good horse
    BG - Boston Bob / Mount Benbulben
    DMcC - Mount Benbulben interesting horse

**Boston Bob got very good backing by RW, no matter what race he is in, he doesn’t think it matters.

15.20 Gold Cup

DR - Long Run is the best horse in the race / Midnight Chase is a good e/w punt
    RW - Kauto needs to be at very best to beat Long Run - but he wouldnt back Kauto, nor would he get off him. Long Run should win it
    BG - everything is in Long Runs favour
    JH - Burton Port e/w
    PP - Long Run
    DMcC - Wouldnt back Long Run @ 5/2, and believes Weird Al willl push them and good e/w bet

OTHER NOTES

JH - Citizenship e/w whatever race she runs him in is a good bet
    Paul Flynn - Moondice doing very well - defo worth an e/w punt

CHARITY BETS of €200 each

DMcC - Nobel Prince with the lot
    CM - half on Scotsirish / half on Somersby
    BG - Bobs Worth with the lot
    DR - Nobel Prince - NAP
    JH - the lot on Steps To Freedom
    RW - half on Boston Bob (he will win) / half on Ted Spread (County Hurdle)
    PP - the lot on Sacre

WILLIE MULLINS

- Quevega and Hurricane in good fettle (will win)
    - Midnight Game in the Supreme (likes the hard ground)
    - BOSTON BOB is his real hope, he reckons he would be very disapointed is he doesnt win
    - Uncle Junior ahead of Scotsirish - both will love ground, but Scots has never won over this trip
    - Sir Des Champs is doing everything right, is a course winner, he is gonna be good
    - Loving Alle Garde, he will float on that ground.
    - Mourad is coming back to himself, defo worth an e/w punt
    - Champagne Fever has a huge cruising speed and will do well
    - Thousand Stars will run in the Champion Hurdle
    - E/W TIP of the FESTIVAL is Sweet My Lord in the Pertemps
    - Boston Bob is on track

PAUL NICHOLLS

- Bucks in good form (will win) - Oscar Whiskey is the only danger whatsoever.
    - Rock on Ruby is in good form, has a great chance
    - Prospect Wells has a good e/w chance
    - Crystal Bonus is someone that he is high on, good e/w
    - Harry the Viking is 4/4 this year, stays forever, has a good chance
    - Join Together is one of his best chances in the festival
    - REALLY likes ULK DU LIN in the Fred Winter on the wednesday
    - Banker = Bucks
    - e/w punt = Zarkander!

Friday 16th
    WILLIE MULLINS

Uncle Junior ahead of Scotsirish - both will love ground, but Scots has never won over this trip

PAUL NICHOLLS

Join Together is one of his best chances in the festival
    REALLY likes ULK DU LIN in the Fred Winter on the wednesday

Thanks for this, couple of very interessting pointers there, I know alot of people who consider Scotsirish as their banker of the week, so to see he might only be the stable second string is very suprising.

What first put me on alert about Join Together was when Nicholls was talking about the coughing in the stables he's inital statement was sonmething along the lines of - just to let people know there is no problem with Kauto, Big Bucks and Join Together as they are stabled away from those affected'' I thought at the time it was quite strange to mention Join Together with those two but he seems to really rate the horse.

The french one in the Fred Winter is a funny one and will of course remind people of Sanctuaire who absolutely bolted up in this a few years ago after a big gamble and Nicholls had pinpointed him at a preview night or two aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Great stuff. One thing id like to know is what Ruby said on Zarkandar. If there is no doubts on HF, and Zarkandars the main danger, makes HF even more of a banker

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

More Sprinter Sacre hype at Paddy Powers night ...

Barry Geraghty's response when asked, was he concerned about the cheltenham hill for Sprinter Sacre? Barry replied :
    I am very concerned...concerned that there isn't enough room at the top of it to pull him up!
    http://www.fatjockey.com/news-blogs/racing_news.php?Cheltenham-Preview-Round-Up-38

Lol love it

mdwexford wrote: »
    Lol love it

I have already sent it on to about 5 lads who have been telling me constantly he wont get up the hill!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭tucker1971

Anyone got any links to last years preview nights and how accurate were the predictions?

If i remember correctly a lot of talk was made about So Young and Call the Police, but both were let downs.

Basically, are the panelists keeping their cards close to their chest, and throwing out a few red herrings here and there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Goldcupfav

tucker1971 wrote: »
    Anyone got any links to last years preview nights and how accurate were the predictions?

If i remember correctly a lot of talk was made about So Young and Call the Police, but both were let downs.

Basically, are the panelists keeping their cards close to their chest, and throwing out a few red herrings here and there?

There is the betfair preview from last year on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭tucker1971

Goldcupfav wrote: »
    There is the betfair preview from last year on youtube.

Thanks for that.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Gautama

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Great stuff. One thing id like to know is what Ruby said on Zarkandar. If there is no doubts on HF, and Zarkandars the main danger, makes HF even more of a banker

Said that 4yo Triumph winners don't perform well when 5, and come into the picture when 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭woodlands

Preview on tomorrow night few tickets left,1 change Noel Meade replaces Paul carberry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭nightpark

Best laugh of the night in westmanstown was when Yeats asked ruby which horse he will pick in the 4m Amateur race soll or alle garde!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

tucker1971 wrote: »

I was at the Waterford preview night last year (going again tonight) and I did quite well from Davy Russells tips, he picked the right Giggenstown winners, he was on the ball anout most other things too....everyone picked Hurrican Fly too (he was 14/1 at the time...), might seem obvious now but Binocular/Pedlars Cross were supposed to be the ones to watch then

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

solerina wrote: »
    I was at the Waterford preview night last year (going again tonight) and I did quite well from Davy Russells tips, he picked the right Giggenstown winners, he was on the ball anout most other things too....everyone picked Hurrican Fly too (he was 14/1 at the time...), might seem obvious now but Binocular/Pedlars Cross were supposed to be the ones to watch then
    Not to be pedantic but HF wasn't 14/1. 4/1 maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

Was at the HRI Cheltenham Quiz last night in Naas for Motor Neuron Disease(We finished 3rd:D 110 from 120 right! Got a nice trip to Jonjo O'Neills stable in Jackdaws Castle) and Willie Mullins was given a bet to place on anything at the festival. He was very positive about Boston Bob and seemed like he wanted to tell people more but the host kept interrupting him soi eventually he said Sweet My Lord e/w in the Coral Cup and Gorgeous Sixty e/w in the Fred Winter.

Ted Walsh was talking to us and asked out of the 6 good things he picked Hurricane Fly,Grand Crus, Sizing Europe, Sprinter Sacre, Quevega and Big Bucks which one would lose if any of them. We all answered Spinter Sacre and a part of me is raging why i didn't say one of the others just to see if he let slip of anything!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

mr.jingle wrote: »
    Ted Walsh was talking to us and asked out of the 6 good things he picked Hurricane Fly,Grand Crus, Sizing Europe, Sprinter Sacre, Quevega and Big Bucks which one would lose if any of them. We all answered Spinter Sacre and a part of me is raging why i didn't say one of the others just to see if he let slip of anything!:D

Am i the only one who isn't at all keen on Grand crus? I don't even fancy him for the RSA let alone him going for the Gold cup. Picking out Sprinter sacre and saying he has more chance of slipping up than Grands crus is madness in my eyes.

baraca wrote: »
    Am i the only one who isn't at all keen on Grand crus? I don't even fancy him for the RSA let alone him going for the Gold cup. Picking out Sprinter sacre and saying he has more chance of slipping up than Grands crus is madness in my eyes.

Totally agree I would have picked Grand Crus there without missing a heartbeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

It was between the 2 to be honest but just have this feeling Sprinter Sacre won't win. Could be the Paddy Power curse but i hope not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭rag2gar

Does anybody know when the one in Kavanaghs in Naas is on? Can't find it on the net

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

rag2gar wrote: »
    Does anybody know when the one in Kavanaghs in Naas is on? Can't find it on the net

Monday march 5th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Does any one know why Tom Segal only does Irish preview nights?

Preview Night Schedule

Advertisement