Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nestle Being Sold in the Shop

Options
  • 30-11-2011 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭

When did they decide to start selling Nestle products in the shop again?
    Did I miss the part where the students voted again to allow it to be sold again??
    Disgusting stuff I must say, the ULSU really has no shame anymore.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

It has been going on for a while now and tbh I couldn't care less

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭PROGRAM_IX

It was ages ago. I believe that SU Exec and CRC voted on it, although I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Kiyomumizu

Jester252 wrote: »
    It has been going on for a while now and tbh I couldn't care less

Same here. Who cares? Its sold in every supermarket in the country. They are not forcing you to buy their products.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,429 ✭✭✭✭cson

Did I miss the part where the students voted again to allow it to be sold again??

Disgusting?

Get a grip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭demolitionman

It's disgusting on many levels.

Firstly, more deceit and clouded shadows of the ULSU voting in something (i'll take your word for this) at a CRC meeting which isn't representative of the entire student body. (NB: The original boycott was put in place after an ENTIRE student body referenda, not after fifty people decided they didn't like it at a CRC meeting)

To me this is cloak and daggers stuff, why not put the motion back to the populus again if they wanted to reinstate sales of nestle goods.

Secondly, it's deplorable in regards the reputation Nestle has globally as a company. Do you want our University to condone the behaviour of such a firm. Do I need to provide you with links cson or will you be able to google that for yourself? I suppose you don't give two shites, you get to eat your kit kats for lunch and sure who cares once you're happy.

• Advertisement

Firstly, more deceit and clouded shadows of the ULSU voting in something (i'll take your word for this) at a CRC meeting which isn't representative of the entire student body. (NB: The original boycott was put in place after an ENTIRE student body referenda, not after fifty people decided they didn't like it at a CRC meeting)

To me this is cloak and daggers stuff, why not put the motion back to the populus again if they wanted to reinstate sales of nestle goods.

Secondly, it's deplorable in regards the reputation Nestle has globally as a company. Do you want our University to condone the behaviour of such a firm. Do I need to provide you with links cson or will you be able to google that for yourself? I suppose you don't give two shites, you get to eat your kit kats for lunch and sure who cares once you're happy.

yes because the action an Irish university will change the world. This is what I hate about student

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

I like Kit Kats, I ate one today, it was nice.
    Took a break and had a Kit Kat and coffee.
    I havent a notion of what this boycott thing is about and am extremely curious to what caused it in the first place...
    Granted if there were no Kit Kats Id have got a Twirl or a Yellow Snack (but I couldnt see them) but back to the point...
    Why the hatred towards Nestle?
    Granted I prefer Dairymilk but seems to be trivial info in relation to the question at hand...
    Was it voted out?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Squarewave

When was the boycott originally put in place anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Jester252 wrote: »
    This is why I what I hate about student

You not studying English per chance??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

So what if it is on sale? If you don't agree with Nestle's business practices then don't support them but at the same time don't try and force your view on anyone else. A bit draconian if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Squarewave wrote: »
    When was the boycott originally put in place anyway?

This should explain it
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestl%C3%A9_boycott

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyMoose

So this is all because of............breastmilk?

frag420 wrote: »
    You not studying English per chance??
    :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Some people just aren't happy enough maintaining their own principles. They have to force them down every body else's throat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

there was a notice in an focal about it, IIRC the motion was defective and actually didnt prevent it being sold, or it was never on the rule book or something..my memory is poor.

also i dont think the ul boycott was over breast milk

If you feel strongly about it, try and get a new motion passed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

In all honesty, if you had to boycott every mean company and corrupt country, there wouldn't be very much left to buy. Except perhaps some organic bread made by armless, lesbian, rehabilitating prostitutes from Switzerland. I'd been boycotting Israeli stuff for years and bought two Israeli avocados in Aldi yesterday by mistake and just decided fùck it, what difference am I making?

Besides all that anyway, shouldn't everyone have the freedom to buy a bloody Kit Kat if they want to?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Been Ireland, referenda means nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Wait...what is this all actually about?

I'm reading it up, but seriously, how can somebody feel so strongly about something like that? It's not like they're murdering people or working giant sweatshops to make their product.

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Wait...what is this all actually about?

I'm reading it up, but seriously, how can somebody feel so strongly about something like that? It's not like they're murdering people or working giant sweatshops to make their product.

I was going to say yeah,
    Do you, by chance, own any branded clothing?
    Nike, Adidas and the likes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I was going to say yeah,
    Do you, by chance, own any branded clothing?
    Nike, Adidas and the likes?
    Nope, humble jeans/t-shirt wearer here. Don't know about my shoes.

I mean, I could say I really feel strongly about it, but at the end of the day, how hypocritical would it be of me to boycott one thing and not every other bad thing?

• Advertisement

Sorry I phrased by last comment horribly. :P
    Question was posed towards OP,
    My bad :P
    To be fair I don't care about much at all,
    Pretty oblivious to what's going on around me...
    Blissfully ignorant to it all :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Eh....did I miss the meeting where we were told we had to buy Nestle products? Just because they're on sale doesn't mean you have to buy it like.... christ.... if you don't agree with it, don't buy it, if enough people feel the same, the products will be pulled from the shelves. If not, they'll continue to be sold. It's called democracy. Live with it.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Eh....did I miss the meeting where we were told we had to buy Nestle products? Just because they're on sale doesn't mean you have to buy it like.... christ.... if you don't agree with it, don't buy it, if enough people feel the same, the products will be pulled from the shelves. If not, they'll continue to be sold. It's called democracy. Live with it.

you didn't miss the meeting but you did miss the part where a democratic decision was already made a number of years back but has since been overruled by Il Fuhrer in the SUSSR and his CRC subordinates because they deem the original veto to be worded incorrectly....did you not read my original post?

Jesus....talk about pissing on the past. Shameful shameful stuff.

This thread should be in the Religion forum I reckon,
    Deals with all this :)
    Or debating,
    Either or...
    I reckon if you buy it buy it,
    If you don't want to, don't...
    I never did like democracy,
    We shouldn't be given a decision,
    Much easier that way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,429 ✭✭✭✭cson

Here's your answer below buddy;
    MyKeyG wrote: »
    Some people just aren't happy enough maintaining their own principles. They have to force them down every body else's throat.

Everyone has free will to decide what they want to buy and what they don't. Banning Nestle products is censorship of sorts and I'd hope every student is mature enough to make a decision on whether they want to buy Nestle products or not.

By the way; I fucking love my kitkats :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I'd venture to say that you likely wear sweatshop manufactured clothes on a regular basis.

Why should a small group of people decide what is and isn't available in the shop?

Gumbi wrote: »
    I'd venture to say that you likely wear sweatshop manufactured clothes on a regular basis.

Why should a small group of people decide what is and isn't available in the shop?

it isn't a small number over a thousand people voted to veto the sale of their products, and a few hundred signed the petition in the first place.

Now if your point was ''well that was ages ago those students have invariably left sod what they think'' i'd say ''maybe you're right.but then proper channels should be fulfilled for the referendum to be done again, not the boys in the su deciding oh sh*t we're stuck for cash better start selling those kit kats again, derek any stroke you could pull to work our way around that little veto you've got.

Obviously the new accountant came in and made the call. Just a bit ridiculous really, no respect for the history of the UL or the ULSU, or the students who passed through the college before you.

cson wrote: »

Thumbs up :D
    Four portions for a lengthy snack...
    Have to admire their creativity :D

cson wrote: »
    Here's your answer below buddy;

Everyone has free will to decide what they want to buy and what they don't. Banning Nestle products is censorship of sorts and I'd hope every student is mature enough to make a decision on whether they want to buy Nestle products or not.

I bet you do based on that little paunch I saw you sporting recently. It'd be no harm if they stopped selling sweeted goods in general in the shop, someone like you would really benefit from a bit of fruit and veg!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

it isn't a small number over a thousand people voted to veto the sale of their products, and a few hundred signed the petition in the first place.

Now if your point was ''well that was ages ago those students have invariably left sod what they think'' i'd say ''maybe you're right.but then proper channels should be fulfilled for the referendum to be done again, not the boys in the su deciding oh sh*t we're stuck for cash better start selling those kit kats again, derek any stroke you could pull to work our way around that little veto you've got.

Obviously the new accountant came in and made the call. Just a bit ridiculous really, no respect for the history of the UL or the ULSU, or the students who passed through the college before you.
    Apologies on not knowing the full details. In any case, no, I don't think it should have happened in the first place.

Advertisement