Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roadworks in Oola

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Whats frustrating is the roadworks in Annacotty, driving through the cones at night is dangerous, there are no lights/adequate reflectors on top of the cones, and when other cars are driving towards you its damn near impossible to see them (plus the fact, the work crew decide to change the layout every few days)

But the work they are carrying out is well needed, especially the street lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

ergonomics wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the story is with the works on the bridge in Oola? The article at the link below says the road was supposed to be closed completely for one week from 28th October to replace the bridge but this was never done.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/limerick_to_tipperary_road_set_to_close_to_facilitate_bridge_repairs_1_2848751

The bridge has been down to one lane since March and traffic has been controlled by traffic lights. It's getting a bit frustrating at this point!

I was waiting (with dread) for this to happen as traffic is to be detoured through Doon where I live and which doesn't have roads good enough to cope with that volume of traffic.

I have no official source but word around here is that the work has been postponed until May 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Magnum

Work Seems to have started on this, I seen machinery there today drilling holes in the bridge...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Mc Love wrote: »
    Whats frustrating is the roadworks in Annacotty, driving through the cones at night is dangerous, there are no lights/adequate reflectors on top of the cones, and when other cars are driving towards you its damn near impossible to see them (plus the fact, the work crew decide to change the layout every few days)

But the work they are carrying out is well needed, especially the street lights.

One dark rainy evening, I was driving in towards town, about to turn into Annacotty, and somebody turned out of the Annacotty exit to go right, and started driving in my lane straight towards me :eek:
    They need reflectors on those cones!

Anyone know when they are due for completion? Doesnt look like they have done anything for about a week and half

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Mc Love wrote: »
    Anyone know when they are due for completion? Doesnt look like they have done anything for about a week and half

The works were meant to take 14 weeks but I think that is long past.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Maybe they are waiting for some really cold weather so they can prolong them a bit more!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

As far as I am aware, they can't get the money to do the work but when they do then they will be closing brooks bridge(The one between Oola and Pallas Green and the one in Oola and doing them at the same time and both are going to cost over a million. In the meantime if it is bothering you that much take a right at the cross in Oola, keep left at the top of the bridge, go up into Cullen and go left. That will bring you out in Monard.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Francis H Murphy

Passed through Oola on Tuesday 26th Dec 2011 travelling from Waterford to Galway. I can not believe that the bridge is still one way after 9 months. If money is an issue why can't the bridge be re-opened until funds are available to complete the planned work. I only travel the route a few a times a year but this is the N24 (Waterford - Limerick) not some minor road up some out of the way mountain. It must be a real pain for local people or people who have to travel through the village to get to work or school each day.
    Is this a record for trafic lights on a National road ?

Passed through Oola on Tuesday 26th Dec 2011 travelling from Waterford to Galway. I can not believe that the bridge is still one way after 9 months. If money is an issue why can't the bridge be re-opened until funds are available to complete the planned work. I only travel the route a few a times a year but this is the N24 (Waterford - Limerick) not some minor road up some out of the way mountain. It must be a real pain for local people or people who have to travel through the village to get to work or school each day.
    Is this a record for trafic lights on a National road ?

Yes it is a bloody pain, they can't re-open it because the bridge is not stable enough to hold 2 lanes of traffic and it is the left lane that is the trouble. I agree with you it's absolutely insane at this stage, just goes to show what a state the country is in when we can't maintain a main road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭A Country Voice

Still there over a year later.
    We must really be living in the third world these days.
    A "National Primary Route" with a stop go system on it 24 hrs a day 7 days a week for over a year.
    What a joke!!!

ACV

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Sentid

There also seems to be a guy in a van there 24/7. How much is that costing? And there are 2 sets of lights, anyone know the story with that? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

What are delays like there in the evenings?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

It finally looks like there will be some movement on this.
    source link

By Donal O’Regan
    Published on Sunday 17 June 2012 16:00

BUS TRANSFERS will transport rail passengers from Limerick city to Limerick Junction three days a week throughout July as Irish Rail commences work on replacing Oola bridge.

As confirmed in the Limerick Leader in May, the bridge on the N24 will be replaced during the week commencing midnight Sunday, August 19.

There will be diversions in place for vehicles and no trains will run from Limerick to Limerick Junction, and vice versa, during that week.

Speaking at a Castleconnell electoral area meeting, Garry Keegan, of Irish Rail, said engineering works would commence on June 25.

For the four weeks in July, he said there will be a temporary timetable for bus transfers from the city to Limerick Junction on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursday beginning on July 3.

“Temporary” traffic lights, that only allow one lane of traffic to cross at a time, have been in place at Oola bridge since March 2011.

Oola and Brooks bridge - located between Pallasgreen and Oola - were due to be replaced last October. It was put back to February and then August.

When asked by councillors about the delay Mr Keegan said he didn’t know as he has only been involved for the last month.

However, he said a lot of preparatory work has gone in to getting the project to this stage including ground investigations, design, traffic plans, contracting piling works, the pre-cast concrete bridge units and more

Cathaoirleach Mary Harty welcomed the news that it was going ahead but was “disappointed that Brooks bridge isn’t”.

“The NRA even granted money for realignment. It is very dangerous. We are going to lose NRA funding,” said Cllr Harty.

Mr Keegan said “funding restrictions made it impossible” but Irish Rail are committed to carrying out works there.

A spokesperson for Irish Rail said the cost of replacing Oola bridge figure is in the region of “€2 million”.

Cllr Harty said businesses in Oola have been “fiercely discommoded” due to the delays.

“They have suffered a loss of earnings. People won’t stop twice,” said Cllr Harty, who called on Irish Rail to liaise with landowners so that “fencing” issues which arose in the past doesn’t happen again.

Mr Keegan said they have been in talks with landowners.

A major information campaign by Irish Rail will feature advertisements in local newspapers and radio stations; leaflet drops; consulting stakeholders and an information evening in Ballykisteen Hotel.

Once Oola bridge is replaced it will remain single lane until September 17

So is it finally coming to an end?
    Its been one lane with a stop go system in place since March 2011.
    Almost 19 months later its scheduled to be reopened fully on September 17th, (Monday week). This must be a record of some sort!!
    Whats the odds?

Ha ha

ACV

So is it finally coming to an end?
    Its been one lane with a stop go system in place since March 2011.
    Almost 19 months later its scheduled to be reopened fully on September 17th, (Monday week). This must be a record of some sort!!
    Whats the odds?

Ha ha

ACV

Fingers crossed anyway, although I'm used to it at this stage. Heard that when they actually went to do the bridge they found that it wasn't as bad as the engineer who had done the report said, so they could have left it as two lanes while they were getting the money together.

It finally looks like there will be some movement on this.

Not yet, Still down to one lane!!! I passed through Oola for the first time in a while today. Looks like the September 17th deadline has come and gone without anyone blinking an eye, and sure why should they? This is Ireland. A National Primary Route down to one lane since March 2011, (thats heading for 20 months now!). It must be some sort of record. I'll have to put a thread up over on the Motors forum and see does anyone know of a stop-go system that has been in place longer on a National Primary Route.

ACV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭audidiesel

drove it today twill be a while before tis ready yet. but at least you can see they are actually doing something the last few weeks. twas shut down a full year while they were doing sweet fa with it. progress i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

Anyone know what the story is with this or when they'll have both lanes open? Work seems to have slowed down again the last few weeks.

19 months and counting.

Honestly I don't even bother trying to find out when they will be finished last I heard a guy on newstalk said it would be the first week in September. I wouldn't be surprised if it went into next year.

• Advertisement

I see that they've switched the driving side of the road to the other side now, on the LHS as you head to Tipp as opposed to RHS.

I met one of the lads that lives in the house right beside the bridge on the LHS last night and he told me that it's to be opening this evening or the construction company start incurring fines. Not too sure about that though.

It's open! Hallelujah. 19 months later.

MilfordBud wrote: »

at long last :D

ACV

Thought I was seeming things when I was coming up to it this morning. Finally :)

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

I couldn't believe it today when I was going to Tipp. It took long enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭adaminho

So driving between Limerick and Tipp Town I hit stop go's at Oola, Monard and Limerick junction! that's 3 in 5 k.

Stop and go in Oola is gone, just monard and lmrk junct. Lucky you! If you want to avoid it all just go by caherconlish, hospital and emly, it's longer though!

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

adaminho wrote: »
    So driving between Limerick and Tipp Town I hit stop go's at Oola, Monard and Limerick junction! that's 3 in 5 k.

I don't know what possessed Tipp Co. Council to have all these together!

angeleyes wrote: »
    I don't know what possessed Tipp Co. Council to have all these together!

Oola is in Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

I can't remember the last time I had a smooth run to work from Tipp to Limerick without roadworks of some sort along the way. It's been over 18 months at this stage.

Advertisement