Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iran protesters storm UK embassy in Tehran

Options
  • 29-11-2011 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭

Protesters in the Iranian capital, Tehran, have broken into the UK embassy compound during a demonstration against sanctions imposed by Britain.
    Militant students are said to have removed the British flag, burnt it and replaced it with Iran's flag. State TV showed youths smashing embassy windows.
    The move comes after Iran resolved to reduce ties following the UK's decision to impose further sanctions on it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-15936213

I would'nt say this happened unless they got the ok from the Iranian Government.
    Probably they were after documents etc,to see what intelligence they could grab.What Iranians are working for british intelligence,intelligence on Iranian nuclear etc

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I would'nt say this happened unless they got the ok from the Iranian Government.
    Probably they were after documents etc,to see what intelligence they could grab.What Iranians are working for british intelligence,intelligence on Iranian nuclear etc

This will not end well. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Fecking politics. It's like a repetitive TV series that doesn't end and can't come up with any new material so they just keep doing the same storylines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Deja Vu ...we have been here before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Good job the Americans have gone. An invasion of their embassy would have resulted in lots of dead bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Economic Depression then a World War

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The US Embassy evacuation in Saigon 1975 was good craic .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Maybe Gilmore was just using the Vatican Embassy closure as a smokescreen to get us out of that sh1thole.

If so well done that man :)

As for Iran - about time they got a proper spanking!!!
    They could be described as being very brave or very stoopid!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭bullpost

And the soundtrack to this one is :

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

According to the BBC the iran police are using tear gas on them. So qhy assume they have the go ahead of the Gov?

Thats it..mindless bias

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

RichieC wrote: »
    According to the BBC the iran police are using tear gas on them. So qhy assume they have the go ahead of the Gov?

Thats it..mindless bias

Not really Richie. The Iranian Government are a bunch of fundamentalist thugs who covertly condone this shyte. They've been doing it for years. Another soft target for Ahmedinejad and his bully-boys. Pricks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Send your messages of support to:

British Embassy,
    Bobby Sands Street (formerly Winston Churchill Street),
    Tehran,
    Iran.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

the british are a lot of things but not stupid - nothing of any worth will have been within a mile of the embassy

they knew that they were in hostile territory and would never had kept anything useful should the embassy be attacked - but i do agree
    this was state sanctioned - but i think iran will regret it
    its closest ally is Syria and as we know its a but busy with its own troubles to help iran

steps in Israel and takes out the nuke facility - no one will care much with all that is going on in the mid east and the cash crisis in europe, it might not be the **** storm that i could be

Freddie59 wrote: »

Thats it..mindless bias

Not really Richie. The Iranian Government are a bunch of fundamentalist thugs who covertly condone this shyte. They've been doing it for years. Another soft target for Ahmedinejad and his bully-boys. Pricks.

No more self interested than perpetual war USA.

Not all in the gov are fundies eirher. Which the us has no shortage of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Thats it..mindless bias

Probably because the Iranian state have a highly efficient security apparatus including secret police and paramilitary organisations who generally have an idea of any mooted protests before they begin. The idea that a bunch of people just got it into their heads to storm the British embassy a week after Iran downgraded the diplomatic relationship between the two countries, and that the Iranian elites had no idea of this is a bit naive to be honest. To suspect some official involvement isn't mindless, it's based on an objective reading of the situation and a basic understanding of the political situation in Iran.

PS: Just to note that after the recent storming of the Turkish embassy in Damascus, Turkey accused Syria of facilitating the attack. There weren't accusations of mindless bias on Turkey's at the time, so why the same accusations now? Why were Turkey's accusations reasonable, yet the same concerns re Iran mindless bias?

Protesters dispersed according to iranian media via bbc tweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Dionysus wrote: »
    Send your messages of support to:

British Embassy,
    Bobby Sands Street (formerly Winston Churchill Street),
    Tehran,
    Iran.

I'm sure Bobby would be proud to have his name honoured by such a fair, democratic and open regime.

Still, its a chance to "Stick it to da Brits".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Joshua Jones

American talking to an Arab:

American: Hey whats the problem with you guys. You all hate America and democracy. Why dont you all fight under the same flag or something.

Arab: We do. It's the same as your flag only it's on fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Apparently they looted a portrait of Her Royal Highness Queen Elizabeth II

*fap fap fap*

Thats it..mindless bias

New York Times is currently saying it appears to be officially sanctioned.
    The police possibly being sent in afterwards as a show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭twinytwo

dj jarvis wrote: »
    the british are a lot of things but not stupid - nothing of any worth will have been within a mile of the embassy

they knew that they were in hostile territory and would never had kept anything useful should the embassy be attacked - but i do agree
    its closest ally is Syria and as we know its a but busy with its own troubles to help iran

steps in Israel and takes out the nuke facility - no one will care much with all that is going on in the mid east and the cash crisis in europe, it might not be the **** storm that i could be

Debatable....

• Advertisement

pinch of salt with anything coming from the yanks and iranians.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

twinytwo wrote: »
    Debatable....

not really - not on this point anyway
    like them or not, they have one of the best secret services in the world
    and they would not have made the beginners mistake of having sensitive intel on hostile soil

as i said they just are not that stupid - in fact, no sovereign nation worth its salt would be that stupid

pinch of salt with anything coming from the yanks and iranians.

True that we have to be sceptical of both sides but in any country where current events are happening or have happened, it wouldn't be the first time that police have stood back for a time, while organised groups have gone ahead and invaded such places.
    The last one was in Libya I think where similar happened.

Every major Embassy from a foreign country is guarded to some degree by the state's police (even army) its resident in. Its expected and is protocol.
    So for them in the latest case of Iran, to allow it just to happen freely, is suspicious in itself.

...no sovereign nation worth its salt would be that stupid

In all my years, I have seen MANY a country do many a stupid thing to another one!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,019 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Siuin wrote: »
    Apparently they looted a portrait of Her Royal Highness Queen Elizabeth II

*fap fap fap*

The Irish Times had a photo of someone carrying a huge Pulp Fiction cinema poster away from the scene as well. It's probably now on Ebay.ir

• Registered Users Posts: 24,019 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

and they would not have made the beginners mistake of having sensitive intel on hostile soil

as i said they just are not that stupid - in fact, no sovereign nation worth its salt would be that stupid

The Americans did exactly that when they did a runner from Saigon, leaving behind filing cabinets full of classified info on the Vietnamese working for the CIA etc.. Needless to say, these people were the first ones to be rounded up by the new regime.

The Iranian government are dealing with it fast because they don't want the SAS to make a show of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭twinytwo

And you know all of this from your vast experience with MI5/MI6 i take....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

China would disagree with you :rolleyes:

They are willing to start a third world war over protecting Iran.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The Irish Times had a photo of someone carrying a huge Pulp Fiction cinema poster away from the scene as well. It's probably now on Ebay.ir

Lol! Saw that one :P Makes you wonder what they were up to in the Embassy...
    Interesting interpretation of American culture...!

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The Americans did exactly that when they did a runner from Saigon, leaving behind filing cabinets full of classified info on the Vietnamese working for the CIA etc.. Needless to say, these people were the first ones to be rounded up by the new regime.

When the Vietnam war ended and the Americans were pulling out of Saigon all the Vietnamese agents documents were shredded and a person responsible was supposed to burn them in an incinerator. The person was lazy and just left them outside by the rubbish bins. The Vietcong found the bags - gave a team of people the task of piecing them all together. It took some time to accomplish, and they succeeded. The Vietcong then went and arrested all the hundreds of agents and all were executed.
    North Vietnamese intelligence officials scoured the Embassy shortly after taking Saigon, they apparently were able to piece together classified documents that had been shredded but not burnt and used these to track down South Vietnamese employees of the Central Intelligence Agency.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Embassy,_Saigon#Fall_of_Saigon_and_Operation_Frequent_Wind

http://www.enotes.com/topic/United_States_Embassy,_Saigon

Advertisement