Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is too much protein bad?

• 29-11-2011 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭

k..decided to jump in. Female, 5,4' 9st. I do 5-6 20 minute full body w/o per week. I was doing my best to go from skinny fat to lean and have been doing this particular workout for three months (upper body, lower body, arms shoulders & core). I did a similar program last year for three months and benefited so started up again this year and am finished in Jan. I don't drive, work in an active job and am usually on the go most days. I've bulked up a bit, definitely stronger than I was and want to keep it up, I just want to know that I'm doing it right and maybe pick up tips to get the most out of workout and diet.

I took a look at my daily intake on diet pal just to see how much protein I was getting and it is quite a bit, compared to carbs or fats.

I eat
    porridge, for breakfast with maple syrup.
    tea
    two tblsp seafood mix (tun/pink salmon/mackerel)
    post workout shake (holland & barrett egg and milk shake, made with full fat milk)
    coffee
    chicken salad (egg, salad, tomato, chicken, onion)
    apple & banana/plum/kiwi (in work when teh boss isn't looking)
    Coffee
    2-3 oatcakes with cottage cheese, tomato, ham and or a shake
    shleepy time.

according to planner that's 1,496cals, 98g carbs, 26g fats, >132g protein<

too much?

(I do gots big muscles though)

(edit; I've lost four or five pound over the last two months doing this, but I need to stress it's not just a loosing weight thing, more like doing it right while gaining muscle)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Simply, no.

In the absence of pre-existing kidney conditions, high protein intake (>3g/kg of bodyweight) has never been shown to be detrimental to health. And to be honest, a high protein diet is infinitely safter, healthier and better for you than the carb heavy diet that 99% of the irish population eats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

Thanks. I remember talking to a friend who studied nutrition in the states and she often cited that high protein intake may be related to cancer :/ and while I may have taken her up wrong it did give me cause for concern at the time. (my own father died from cancer at a relatively young age and he did weightlifting for 30 odd years.)

Kanoe wrote: »
    Thanks. I remember talking to a friend who studied nutrition in the states and she often cited that high protein intake may be related to cancer :/ and while I may have taken her up wrong it did give me cause for concern at the time. (my own father died from cancer at a relatively young age and he did weightlifting for 30 odd years.)

EVERYTHING can be related to cancer on some level. But correlation and causation don't always agree.

As for nutritionists, I try to actively avoid listening to all but a few. Generally what they are thought is 30 years out of date and most make no effort to keep up to date with the latest research. They arrive at a conclusion and then go looking for data to back it up, rather than starting with an open mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Is it true that if you eat more protein than you need the body just gets rid of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Yes, its called deamination

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Yes, its called deamination

Good to know, I had to look deamination up on wiki :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deamination

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭zebrafumbler

If you ask me, your diet is lacking in protein. Have some whole eggs with your breakfast and at LEAST one more whole food protein meal, say a steak or chicken breast/s. While we're at it, if you're going to work your entire body, 3 times a week with adequate rest in between workouts is sufficient. How do your joints or your muscles ever heal with that insane amount of training? How about a day of weights, a day of cardio, day off then weights and cardio again day off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

k..decided to jump in. Female, 5,4' 9st. I do 5-6 20 minute full body w/o per week. I was doing my best to go from skinny fat to lean and have been doing this particular workout for three months (upper body, lower body, arms shoulders & core). I did a similar program last year for three months and benefited so started up again this year and am finished in Jan. I don't drive, work in an active job and am usually on the go most days. I've bulked up a bit, definitely stronger than I was and want to keep it up, I just want to know that I'm doing it right and maybe pick up tips to get the most out of workout and diet.
    While we're at it, if you're going to work your entire body, 3 times a week with adequate rest in between workouts is sufficient. How do your joints or your muscles ever heal with that insane amount of training? How about a day of weights, a day of cardio, day off then weights and cardio again day off.

A total of up to 2 hours per week is insane training now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 jmvane15

I don't think you really can have too much protein.

If you ask me, your diet is lacking in protein. Have some whole eggs with your breakfast and at LEAST one more whole food protein meal, say a steak or chicken breast/s. While we're at it, if you're going to work your entire body, 3 times a week with adequate rest in between workouts is sufficient. How do your joints or your muscles ever heal with that insane amount of training? How about a day of weights, a day of cardio, day off then weights and cardio again day off.
    they're only 20 min sessions, 5/6 day split. (like upper body one day, lower body the next right?) They are short but intense although I think they are just about the right. I've been feeling fatigued the last few days and my uscles are sore so I took today off and hoping to get some proper sleep in. I do want to do more cardio, it's just a matter of fitting it in atm. I'm wondering if I need to up my fat intake though. (bearing in mind the purpose is to shed the extra layer of fat I've already got on me :( )

[edit: also, the last time I did this routine i had eggs in the morning instead of porridge and I was sick of them after two weeks, really hurt to try and eat that much eggs, I do get them in a couple of times a week but not 2 a day anymore. I stick to lean meat fish or cottage cheese and shakes for protein now which seems to work better for me]

• Advertisement

A total of up to 2 hours per week is insane training now?

You do 6x 20 minutes CF style metcons a week and you'll feel it fast.

It's hard to say what is and isn't too much without context.

I think these weights are right, they are all cable machines so I'm guessing it's kilos and not just random numbers I'm looking at :/. This was yesterdays workout for back and chest, every 3rd day

3x10 assisted chest dips narrow 3x10 assisted dips wide 3x10 assisted pull ups, 3x10 reverse lat pull downs, 3x10 lat pull downs, (52-44-38kg) 3x10 vgrip pull downs (52-44-38kg) 3x10 bench press (60-40-30kg) Also did 60 seat presses?, I don't know what they are called, wide grip on machine start on 80kg, like push ups I guess.
    I have someone shouting at me all the way through so it's do it and get it done and it's all set up to go for me, which helps.

2min plank, 100 crunches, 60 weighted crunches (on ab machine)

I hope that makes sense :o

[edit:f*k, 3x10 not 3x20)

also I know they say women won't bulk up when weight training but I do, especially across the shoulders, arms chest and back. everything else seems to take ages but I put it down to having a strong swimming background when I was growing up. But I'm still aware that my bf is still relatively high (haven't had it checked in a while but it's probably still somewhere around 19-20, and it's this that I'm working hard on getting down so if more protein is the way to go then that's what it will be.

also I know they say women won't bulk up when weight training but I do

I srsly doubt it, you probably just THINK you do.

It's lIke the guy who does a hard an workout and "sees" a six pack in the mirror after. No change has happened other than him THINKING he should see a difference.

Hanley wrote: »
    You do 6x 20 minutes CF style metcons a week and you'll feel it fast.

It's hard to say what is and isn't too much without context.

I know well you'll feel the right sort of training fast, but that still doesn't make c. 2 hours of training spread over a week "insane".

I know well you'll feel the right sort of training fast, but that still doesn't make c. 2 hours of training spread over a week "insane".

Again I say, "context".

Again I say, "context".

The OP's posts have put plenty of context on it - she seems to be thriving on what she's doing and managing the ocasional day of soreness well, so context says that what she's doing is far from an "insane amount".

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭07438991

Hi Kanoe - just wondering what gym you train in where you get a personal trainer shouting encouragement at you and where someone gives you a 20min workout 6 times a wk?

Also, do you eat the whole eggs or leave out the yolk (like I've started doing)?

Also, I'm just curious from your food diary - where's your actual dinner or lunch? I would call fruit a snack and 3 oatcakes a snack/maybe lunch at best..., but that's prob why I'm almost 50% heavier than you...! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

OP - most things at some time seem to get linked to cancer - vitamin c being one prime example.

As for too much protein 132g for 126lb bodyweight is perfectly fine.

My non-medical opinion on protein is that yes it is entirely possible to take too much of it, however...

Given how we consume it - be it steaks, shakes, chicken, fish etc. we are far less likely to over do the amounts on an extended long term basis.

Very easy to over indulge in carbs but how many of us would accidentally eat 500g protein in a day - none imo.

You know when you've eaten a lot of protein!:)

Anybody know if taking a protein shake before/after a workout is necessary? Some guy (possibly a moran) told me that if I don't do it after a workout, my muscles will start to eat themselves and I will lose the benefit of that workout...?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

07438991 wrote: »
    Anybody know if taking a protein shake before/after a workout is necessary? Some guy (possibly a moran) told me that if I don't do it after a workout, my muscles will start to eat themselves and I will lose the benefit of that workout...?

Did he look like Kevin Moran? :)

Either way he's wrong. It's a myth peddaled by supplement companies and propagated by broscience enthusiasts.

Have a read of this:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67563426&postcount=28

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

OP - just a few things I notice about your regime

1- I don't think you are eating enough protein ( I think others have told you and I wont also go into the why )

2 - Your muscles grow while you rest not in the gym - You need lots of rest and sleep to grow muscles - so training every day is not a good thing as your muscles are not getting a chance to grow.

Also - If you are worried about putting on too much muscle, take this from a man who has put a lot of effort into building muscle in the last year or so - it is extremely difficult to build muscle even eating a lot of protein and a diet high in cals. This is even with the testosterone levels of a fully grown bloke. I imagine unless you are lifting extreme weights you are not getting anywhere near bulky - muscle is what will make you look lean and toned and allow you eat a lot more without gaining fat ( I hope ;) )

I srsly doubt it, you probably just THINK you do.

It's lIke the guy who does a hard an workout and "sees" a six pack in the mirror after. No change has happened other than him THINKING he should see a difference.
    There's pic of me floating around the know your lookalikes thread :/ that was after 3 months of training last year and my body fat was still quite high.
    07438991 wrote: »
    Hi Kanoe - just wondering what gym you train in where you get a personal trainer shouting encouragement at you and where someone gives you a 20min workout 6 times a wk?

Also, do you eat the whole eggs or leave out the yolk (like I've started doing)?

Also, I'm just curious from your food diary - where's your actual dinner or lunch? I would call fruit a snack and 3 oatcakes a snack/maybe lunch at best..., but that's prob why I'm almost 50% heavier than you...! ;)
    I'll pm you details. That is my dinner :) I pick up stuff and have it in work before I start, I can leave it there for the week and there's no cooking involved. I buy hot chicken, boil some eggs and add to salad. I have hot cooked meals with lots of veg at the weekend. I just eat eggs whole, I don't eat too many maybe four a week at most but my shake is egg and milk based so I figure that covers it.
    Did he look like Kevin Moran? :)

Either way he's wrong. It's a myth peddaled by supplement companies and propagated by broscience enthusiasts.

Have a read of this:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67563426&postcount=28
    Funny, I read this here too and I started taking a shake after a workout, I find it's the best thing I ever did but maybe it's because it fits my routine and I get to relax with my drink in a cafe before colleague picks me up for work. I find when I have a shake at this time too I'm not so hungry later.
    RobAMerc wrote: »
    OP - just a few things I notice about your regime

1- I don't think you are eating enough protein ( I think others have told you and I wont also go into the why )

2 - Your muscles grow while you rest not in the gym - You need lots of rest and sleep to grow muscles - so training every day is not a good thing as your muscles are not getting a chance to grow.

Also - If you are worried about putting on too much muscle, take this from a man who has put a lot of effort into building muscle in the last year or so - it is extremely difficult to build muscle even eating a lot of protein and a diet high in cals. This is even with the testosterone levels of a fully grown bloke. I imagine unless you are lifting extreme weights you are not getting anywhere near bulky - muscle is what will make you look lean and toned and allow you eat a lot more without gaining fat ( I hope ;) )
    Yeah, I figured out the sleep thing too :) I know I feel better after a resting and do my best to make sure I get enough sleep every night, it is part of my training as I see it.
    Thanks for all the advice folks, much appreciated.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Funny, I read this here too and I started taking a shake after a workout, I find it's the best thing I ever did but maybe it's because it fits my routine and I get to relax with my drink in a cafe before colleague picks me up for work. I find when I have a shake at this time too I'm not so hungry later.

Ah yeah, having a whey shake after a workout is grand. There's no denying that. But the person I responded to was asking whether their muscles would start eating themselves if they didn't do it, that's the nonsense.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Yep and that person was me... :cool:

Advertisement