Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

War Horse and WW1 movies

Options
  • 28-11-2011 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭

with the success of the book and play, Spielberg has now produced the movie :

http://www.warhorsemovie.com/trailer

I've not managed to see the play but hope to see this movie when it's released. Not sure that too many films come out with a WW1 theme.

What WW1 related movies (or TV series) have you watched and how would you rate them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Riddle in the Sand- was ok.

The Blue Max- hate it but not a fan of Geiorge Peppard prob made me biased.

Sergeant York- I still enjoy this Gary Cooper film about the real life Sergeant York.

Gallipoli- still remains my favourite WW1 movie.

Lawrence of Arabia- still looks great today.

Paths of Glory- only seen it once but rate it very highly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

Joyeux Noel (OK)

All Quiet on the Western Front (Very good)

Aces High (wasn't too keen on this one)

Zeppelin (appalling)

there's an American one with James Cagney as the bad Dougboy soldier who turns good. Can't remember the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Beneath Hill 60 I thought was quiet good but another one I saw this year was Company K which is absolute rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

La Grande Illusion (Still relevant)

Blackadder Goes Forth (unsurpassable, if a little OT)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

The Blue Max- hate it but not a fan of Geiorge Peppard prob made me biased.

But what if you're a fan of Ursula Andress? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭jeremyr62

Regeneration. About Sassoon and Owen recovering at the Craiglockhart war hospital. Has some pretty good war scenes too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

"The Light Horsemen" based on the Austrlian Light Horse fighting in palestine. based on true story and incidents set around an attack on a Trurkish called Beersheba. this is a great film and well worth a watch if you can get your hands on it. "The Trench" is also worth a watch.

the film mentioned above by jeremyr62 is very good, i cant remember the name of it. "My Boy Jack" ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Regeneration is different but good.
    Passchendaele is a love story not really a war film IMO.

Anyone seen this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭jeremyr62

Flyboys. An unmitigated pile of sh1te IMO.
    The Lost Battalion is pretty good for a made for TV film.
    A Very Long Engagement is not bad either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

+1 Flyboys dire.

Think I've seen the The Lost Battalion. Not sure though.

I think I just found my Xmas Viewing :D ANZAC the Miniseries starring among many Paul Hogan of Crocodile Dundee fame. WW1 Sullivans.

I think I just found my Xmas Viewing :D ANZAC the Miniseries starring among many Paul Hogan of Crocodile Dundee fame. WW1 Sullivans.

forgot about that one. Quite liked it.

Monocled Mutineer was another mini series.

A couple of WW1 plays

Private Peaceful
    Observe the Sons of Ulster Marching towards the Somme (about the only 1 I know of with an Irish slant)

never quite connected with O What a Lovely War.

Life and Death of Colonel Blimp touched briefly on WW1 as did Goodbye Mr Chips.

Another one is UOMINI CONTRO(1970) which I seem to vaguely remember seening subtitled on TV once. Its interesting because its about the war in the Dolomites between Italy and Austro-Hungarian Empire. Youtube has the entire film but only in Italian sadly but plenty of action. The clip below from the film shows WW1 body armour.

Very Dr Who looking.

www.landships
    The Italian Army did more than other armies to develop armoured shields and body armour, especially for assault troops. In June 1915 special “wire-cutting companies” were formed, because of the unacceptably high losses suffered by conventional infantry. These companies soon became known as death companies (“compagnie della morte”). Apart from different portable steel shields, they also adopted special body armour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Joyeux Noel (OK)

All Quiet on the Western Front (Very good)

Aces High (wasn't too keen on this one)

Zeppelin (appalling)

there's an American one with James Cagney as the bad Dougboy soldier who turns good. Can't remember the name.

The Fighting 69th,With Jimmy Cagney and Pat o'Brien.

Company K appears to be on Movies for Men a bit at the moment

Shout at the Devil (Lee Marvin and Roger Moore)

African Queen (Bogart and Hepburn)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

But what if you're a fan of Ursula Andress? :)

If it was Ursula UNdress I'd be a fan lol

I have a memory of a series called When the Boat Comes In with James Bolam. Touched on the end of the Great War, unemployment of soldiers and there was an episode where his character was being recruited for the Black and Tans.

http://www.zetaminor.com/cult/when_boat/when_boat_s1_v2.htm

I have a memory of a series called When the Boat Comes In with James Bolam. Touched on the end of the Great War, unemployment of soldiers and there was an episode where his character was being recruited for the Black and Tans.

http://www.zetaminor.com/cult/when_boat/when_boat_s1_v2.htm

Available on Youtube, quite a strange theme tune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Available on Youtube, quite a strange theme tune.

Think it be an old geordie folk song

Gunbus (one to avoid I think)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sifw2I9skqk

Don't know how I forgot this. More famous for its aerial stunts at the time. I believe some pilots died during the filming

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9P3XXvleo4

More of a love story

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oViFyQgzk_I

Ryan's Daughter? vaguely WW1...?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Ryan's Daughter? vaguely WW1...?

Sarah Miles boobies;)

They could have been the first boobies on RTE :cool:

Today We Live 1934- First time Gary Cooper and Joan Crawford starred together.

Brown on Resolution-1935 with John Mills, later remade with WW2 replacing WW1:pac:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_on_Resolution_(film)

Posting these over a couple of posts because my youtube vid keeps dropping from the post when I press preview.

Admiral Kolchak-2008 biopic of Admiral Kolchak who went on to lead the White Russian movement. Some good sea battle scenes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Admiral_(film)

Trying to search out non english WW1 movies as they do offer a glimpse of WW1 away from the Western Front.

Japanese/German movie Baruto no Gakuen (2006) which tells the story of German soldiers and sailers captured in China in 1914 and interned in Japan until 1920. The soldiers establish an orchestra to pass the time and went on to be the first orchestra to perform Beethoven 9th Symphony in Japan.

er, one to avoid on New Year's Eve on the UK's Channel 5 @ 22:40

Up The Front

A preview of what you'll miss.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=363UlDKv7C0

• Advertisement

Chunuk Bair(1992) do the trailer looks alot older, I think this may be New Zealand only WW1 film. You got to love the voice over.

Wiki
    Chunuk Bair is a 1992 New Zealand film based on the play Once on Chunuk Bair (1982) by Maurice Shadbolt.
    Set in 1915, the film tells of the Wellington Regiment, part of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force present at Gallipoli during World War I. On 8 August 1915, the Regiment took and held Chunuk Bair, one of the Turkish hills.
    Chunuk Bair was produced by Daybreak Pictures in association with Avalon and the National Film Unit. It was released to roughly coincide with ANZAC Day, the national day of Remembrance in New Zealand.

Advertisement