Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why don't you drink ?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

Brilliant, daithieoghan,

Very similar to how I feel at times. And even if you point out to folk how positively (and enormously) your life has changed, they just give you a blank stare followed by a 'yeah, but ..'.

It's up to us, I guess, to rise above it, and just keep on doing what is a no brainer, to live life to the full with all your faculties about you, doing no harm to anyone.

Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I can have as much fun as them it's just like i said, because i don't drink im not i guess you could say, "accepted" it saddens me if im honest :( I'd like to meet other people and stuff but i can't really go out to clubs and such unlike most people, joys of photosensitivity

Yeah, I get what you mean. I have met people like that - for them, drink = fun, so if you aren't drinking, you must hate having fun. TBH, I don't go to clubs too often, mainly because I don't like most dance music - I much rather pubs, better music but often at a volume that lets you actually talk to the people you're out with. Best of luck with the new course, I'm sure you'll meet plenty new people there anyway :)
    libnation wrote: »
    Going to events like concerts etc. will be 'sh*t' without alcohol' for me apparently (totally illogical).

That's one I've never understood, tbh! I never drank, so people say I can't comment on drinking - but I get why people would want to drink on a night out, just not at concerts. Why bother paying €50+ for tickets to a gig and drink so much that you can't remember it???!

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭denbatt

Hello everyone, denis is my own name, i grew up in a house with both my parents being pioneers, so i just never got into the drink thing, i tased it when i moved out to go to college but hated the taste and couldn't be bothered acquiring one, i'm 32 now married and have a 5 year old daughter so dont think i'll start now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭monkey tree

I don't drink because I have made most if not all of my most horrendous mistakes whilst drunk. I have grown up alot since then and now have too much self awareness and self respect to ever again poison my sensibility!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

i don't drink because i didn't like who I started turning into after a couple of beers. I moved abroad where drink was cheap and plentiful, but i think my body and brain just started bypassing the affable drunk phase and started going straight into the "what are you looking at, punk" stage.
    So i stopped with a bit of help from Allan Carr. It's been 2 months and I really don't miss it. Fortunately, my wife isn't a big drinker and my mates here wouldn't make a big deal of it.

Life is good without it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

but I get why people would want to drink on a night out, just not at concerts. Why bother paying €50+ for tickets to a gig and drink so much that you can't remember it???!

The last gig I went to I had two pints.
    I remembered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Bassfish

mikom wrote: »
    but I get why people would want to drink on a night out, just not at concerts. Why bother paying €50+ for tickets to a gig and drink so much that you can't remember it???!

I remembered it.
    Even before I knocked the booze on the head I actually stopped drinking at concerts and matches because I spent about a quarter of the time queuing for the jacks, missing good songs and scores etc. I realised that drinking at these things was actually detracting from the fun, not enhancing it so I stopped :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,960 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

My reason for not drinking is simply that I don't see the point.
    Both my parents are pioneers so I decided to keep my pledge til I was 18. When I turned 18 I figured why bother starting. Then by the time I finished college I simply thought "I made it through secondary school and college without drinking, not much sense starting now. :)

Of course my brother makes up for me and my parents so if I drank, it would be less for him. :p

I do find it annoying at times though when the only things to do around here at night is go to cinema, pub, club, Tesco or 4 Lanterns. :rolleyes:Bt that's a different story.

Handy thing about not drinking if out: Can just leave any time, jump in the car and go home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

I always find it funny the way people will say "ah you're no fun!" "you're boring" "you never do anything" "you're a dry ****e" etc. when the only problem they have with you is that you aren't getting out of your face drunk.

I once remember someone saying to me, "sure your the only one in this room who hasn't passed out in their own sick or blacked out!" as if it's something to be proud of? I just don't get it.

Having said that, I do drink every now and again but I'm starting to really dislike it more and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,960 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Bassfish wrote: »
    Even before I knocked the booze on the head I actually stopped drinking at concerts and matches because I spent about a quarter of the time queuing for the jacks, missing good songs and scores etc. I realised that drinking at these things was actually detracting from the fun, not enhancing it so I stopped :)

Going to a concert and not remembering or missing songs is one thing(well 2) but I remember when I used to go to Oxegen, there would be guys there who never left the campsite and drank the whole weekend. All that money for a ticket to do what you could do in the back garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

It tastes terrible, makes you feel terrible and costs a lot to boot.

Maybe it's an acquired taste but the way I see it, it's not worth acquiring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I love the taste of beer and whiskey but not the next morning when I'm feeling hairy and struggle to get out of bed.

I decided to stick with non-alcoholic beer, same beery taste but no hassle :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

mikom wrote: »
    I remembered it.

Sorry, my post was a bit vague. I meant the people who go to gigs with the intention of getting drunk as quickly as possible (the ones who are skulling naggins all day in the queue, or the ones who spend all morning drinking nonstop at Oxegen before the band they want to see comes on). Obviously two/three/four drinks won't set a lot of people drunk, I just don't understand people who drink so much at gigs that they can't remember them - why spend so much on tickets?!

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

I am 23 and have never drank.
    When I was a child I hated seeing my family and friends acting strangely at weddings and parties etc. I think alcohol tastes disgusting, and the idea of being drunk repulses me. I can't imagine not remembering how I got home or how easily something terrible could happen to you.
    I don't really go out to pubs or clubs much, it's not fun for me. I just wish there were more people my age that I know who are the same as me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Lots of small reasons about the way I'd act and feel and all that, but the key one being that I lost a relative because of it. I then swore when I was 13 I'd never drink so I wouldn't risk putting my family through that again, and I haven't. Hearing about other young people going missing, etc. compounds it for me.

Never drinking is so unusual that if I started now I'd be embarrassed from the attention it might create (then again, maybe nobody would care!)... I'm kinda shy about that stuff...

Also, Cidona is too nice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

• On antidepressants.
    • Makes me feel sick either way.
    • Can't bring myself to be around drunk people as it is, let alone consider myself being drunk!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭brownstone

I don't drink for a number of reasons. I used to, but I grew up and realised it was a big waste of time. My father was very fond of the drink, until it came to the point where he became abusive and ended up in rehab, then dissapeared for four years, nobody knowing where he had gone to. I saw the damage it did to his family. Lost his wife, and his children. He lost the great relationship he had with his parents and brothers. He made so many poor decisions in those years when he drank every day. I went through a very bad period last year and the start of this year and alcohol became my solution, but now, I have stopped drinking, the smell of any beer or spirit makes my stomach turn. Drinking impairs my judgement and I end up saying things I don't mean. I have lost friends over drink and I don't intend to loose anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭barry711

I dont drink because my mother and father where both chronic alcoholics. I saw terrible things as a child that were the cause of my parents alcoholism. I experienced bad things too. I hate pubs, and anything associated with drink. I used to tell myself that I hated drinkers in general but after some home truths as it were, I came to realize that its not the people I hated but the actual stuff. I was so blinded by my own ignorance and resentment I had for my parents addiction I could not see past this and just unjustifiably hated anyone who drank. I've matured enough now to see that was an extremely flawed viewpoint I once held.

I've drank a few times but to be honest I never really saw the attraction. Based on my childhood experiences, fear of loss of control I have and the quiet unsociable life I live, its really not for me and it works well this way for me.

Advertisement