Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on letting our kitten roam?!

Options
  • 28-11-2011 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Hi,

We have a kitten who's almost 6 months old. We adopted him from our vets.
    He has settled in perfectly and grown alot since we got him.

He's a typical playful little fella, very affectionate but very naughty at times too. He's neutered, vaccinated and flead and wormed.

Due to him still being so young and trying to eat every bit of string etc. and also due to the weather, we've been wary on letting him roam so far.

We live in a quiet cul de sac lane with lovely neighbours who also have cats and dogs but our neighbour and his son drive their vans past our house atleast 10 times a day! We also live beside a massive green park with a lake and a minute from the sea.

Mainly, we want to let him roam and see the outside world, he loves to sit at the window and look out all day (he's also a great little hunter) but he hates to wear a collar with a bell and I really think it's best he has one on him so people wont think he's a feral and also so we can hear him (my boyfriend doesn't like it on him).

What tips do you cat lovers have on the beginner roamers and on collar wearing (we do plan on getting him microchipped also)?

Any advice and tips appreciated, thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

This thread will probably descend into something resembling World War 3!
    From what you said about the vans, I'd be more inclined to keep the cat indoors.
    We have three cats - two have always been indoors and the third adopted us and has decided that an indoors life is the life for her. I'm certain she's become agoraphobic!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

I dont know, Im not against people keeping cats indoors (or cats preferring indoors), dont get me wrong but he's not even 6 months old and I cant imagine him being indoors for the rest of his life...somewhere in the teens hopefully.

I am very nervous about the vans etc but in the end, all cats have to deal with that and most are OK. It's just he's still so young. We let him out this morning for the first time and all the noises startled him (its very windy out there) but he was so curious and went eating the grass and hid under our car.

Our trick for bringing him in is, to put some meat in tin foil and let him hear the foil, he always comes running for that and the beep of the digital weighing scales (his feeding times).

What about the collar and the bell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

Similar topics to this have previously been discussed on this forum, so as previous poster has said be prepared!!

The fact that you live in a quiet cul-de-sac is a bonus. I would just let your cat adjust to the outside in their own time, they will soon return when they are ready or hungry.

As for the bell collar many cats do not like wearing them, but with perseverance most will get used to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Bubs99 wrote: »
    I cant imagine him being indoors for the rest of his life...somewhere in the teens hopefully.
    Giving him access to the outdoors doesn't necessarily mean letting him roam, with all the risks that that involves. You can escape proof your garden and put in a cat flap so that he can be inside when he wants, or exploring your garden when he wants. People also construct cat runs over a window so the cat can be in or out as it chooses; the runs usually have various sunning spots at different heights, climbing frames, toys etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭lilsis

Hey I can understand your problem. I'd love to let mine out but as it is we live in a very built up area with a lot of wild/semi-wild cats around with a lot of traffic and lots and lots of (for want of a better word) scumbags. So I wouldn't dream of letting him out to roam because there's just too many ways for him to get hurt.die. Unless I could enclose him in the garden whether with cat fencing or a cat run I don't think I'll ever let him out. And yes he may sit looking out the window and you may be thinking that he's pining for outside but it's not neccessarily the case. He is possibly just looking out to watch life go by.

Now I'm not against people having indoor or outdoor cats. I suppose with either you have to weigh up the pros and cons and decide for yourself! And as you said he's curious which can be a bad thing. My sister's cat was let out at about 4 months and one day he never came back. They contacted the ISPCA and about 5 weeks later he was found and they got him back. Was found miles and miles away! Cute story with a happy ending but obviously its not always the case. And I know people say that cats have a great sense of smell and will find there way back but my sister's didn't. He got too curious and wandered too far! But I wouldn't let him out until he's neutered as a least then he'll be less inclined to wander.

As for the collar they get used to it as someone else said, but they can get them off. Anyway thing to do is weigh up the pros and cons and decide then. And just so you know most cats are very happy with an indoor life and if you go with letting him roam be ready for increases in vets bills in case he fights with other cats etc.

• Advertisement

Id love to put in a cat flap but we are renting, same goes for the cat run sadly. Ive seen the most cool ones too. Our landlord allowed us to have a cat but Im almost positive no cat flap as it's his original family home and over 100 years old.

Annoyingly, we also cant escape proof the garden as the walls are low, only about over a metre high with a wide gateway/drive way, no gate.

Ill microchip him for definate but I might get rid of the bell and just keep a reflective collar on him. What do ye think?

About the "roam"...I just used that term because I thought it was the same as letting them outdoors. My apology.

Yeah, he's still such a little sweety, a little kitten so I think other big cats near here would frighten him. There are LOADS of wild cats up town but they're a good bit away. Thats also a good point about the vet bill, thank you.

Our house is big enough for him and he has a massive sratch post (we made it out of a pipe and a rug) and he has windows all the way around, he has his own armchair and window bed and loads of toys etc etc. He seems happy and content just curious like any young animal I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭lilsis

Well you could always ask the landlord if he says no he says no. The run attached to the window would be the best idea then he can come in and out as he pleases. I know some people leave a window open for their cats to come in and out, not sure how you stop people coming in through them though. My aunt does that but the window in inaccessible by people. Problem is if you can't contain him in your garden he will roam. When he gets used to your garden then he'll want to see your neighbours garden and so on and then is when you run into the risk of fights with cats or dogs and accidents and stuff. Unless if he's maybe an anxious cat and doesn't want to go very far! But if you neuter him he'll be less likely to roam although it's not guaranteed to stop him doing it!

Sorry I replied before I saw the edited bit to your post!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭excaliburhc

have you thought about a cheap run - there are a few on ebay could be worth looking at ,

from personal experience - while they startoff not going far they will eventually disappear for hours on end - it gets so worrying you will end up walking , shouting for them to which they will ignore you and just come back in their own time.

i used to be a big fan of letting my cats (have 3) out but i have discovered that we are scumbag species ( 1 of my previous cats was poisened and another had a 3 dogs set upon her by a group of young fellas - that devestated me and if i had been there i would be in prison now.).

to that end for your own piece of mind i recommend either keeping them in or building / buying an external run . my two cents as i wouldnt wish losing a pet (to my mind a member of the family) on anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

If you google ID collars you can order a collar with your phone number woven into it - for cats that get annoyed by a disc. I make my own with a plain collar and a permanent marker. Doesn't stop the cats losing the collars tho:o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

If he's neutered he's much less likely to roam - the fact that you don't live near a busy road is also a big help for his survival chances

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I am very nervous about the vans etc but in the end, all cats have to deal with that and most are OK.

Bubs99 - just a note on this: most are not okay. Most roaming cats who live near a road with traffic will be laminated across that road within the first three years. It doesn't make a huge difference whether it's busy - sometimes the noise and bustle of a dual carriageway will do more to deter a cat than the infrequent, but fast, traffic of an access road to an estate, where the cat will risk sprinting across the road and learn little road sense.

If you're determined to allow your cat outside unsupervised, then:

Fit a breakaway reflective collar with a bell and your phone number so someone can call you if the cat is hit by a car (at least you'll know what happened). A breakaway collar will snap if it gets caught on something and the cat struggles.

Don't all your cat out at dawn or dusk and keep them in overnight - cats are most active at dawn and dusk and most willing to try roaming in the half-light of these times. If you leave them indoors until 9am and let them back inside at 5pm you will reduce the risk of how far they will roam and how much trouble they may get into.

Neuter your cat asap - before six months if possible.

Ensure your cat's vaccinations are up to date, worm and flea treat routinely, and check your cat for injuries. If your cat is ever acting abnormally - more quiet than usual, hunched up, reluctant to be picked up or stroked - take them straight to the vet. Outdoor cats are exposed to many dangers and cats hide their pain extremely well. The 48 hours you may wait to see if the cat comes good on their own can be the difference between life and death for a cat.

Take up to date photographs of your cat in case you need to put them on a poster.

Let your neighbours know the cat is yours and give them the opportunity to talk to you if it's being a nuisance (e.g. digs up their lettuce seedlings that they spent the weekend planting to take a crap in their vegetable bed - better they talk to you than they start throwing things at your cat, or in extreme cases start leaving out saucers of antifreeze).

Be aware that not everybody likes cats, and by allowing yours to roam, you are relinquishing control over the interactions with vehicles, dogs, other cats, and people who dislike cats and leaving your pet to manage those interactions on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Bubs99, it will be worth your while taking a few minutes to read this thread and see what you think.

I was very vociferous at the time, which was only a few months ago so weigh up the different opinions. I was clearly in the minority..

When i said "cats", im now down to 1 cat. Molly was a stray who i put a lot of time and effort into "rescuing" for the first half of this year. She was a doll and hard feckin work, but unlike Beanie (resident cat) she knew how to work the apartment balcony and get outside whenever she wanted.Beanie was only let out when i had to voluntarily opened the front door for him.Im gutted ive lost her.:o

Im very very very slowly changing my opinion on the inside/outside cat debate. Molly went out one Friday evening at the end of Aug...and hasnt come back since. Gutted...yep...taking responsibility...not quite!

I was..and still am to a certain extent in the "let cats outside" camp.But, i just dont think its worth it anymore. Ive listened,learned,argued...cried :o these past few months (Molly was becoming such a beautifully tame cat) and now Beanie with his orthopaedic problems.He hasnt been outside in 2 mths.He's doing brilliantly.Hmmmm...the only person im arguing with is myself here.

The thing is, people see a stray/wandering dog,generally feel instantly sorry for it and take it in. It takes a certain type of person to do the same for a cat (rare).If your cat goes AWOL, you're extremely lucky to get them back.

After the effort i put in with Molly (thread) you will be gutted if you let them out and they never come back. Its the "what the hell happened to them?" scenario that you WILL face at some stage by letting them outside. Im in it now.

Im honestly beginning to think the worry isnt worth it.But, thats for you to decide..

I just dont think its worth it anymore..for them, me and my vet bills :o

I'm actually in the let cats outside camp myself. I think that cats that have fresh air, grass, sunshine, insects and the stimulation of the outdoors benefit greatly from all of it. However, they have GOT to be contained using cat netting or fence proofing.

For anyone who lives in a rental where the landlord won't allow a permanent cat run, you can erect a 'caboodle' - essentially a cat cargo net with a long zipper in it thrown over an aluminium frame. Cats don't dig - they climb and they squeeze, but they won't tunnel. Subsequently you can use a frame 'cube' that sits on the grass and as long as they can't climb over or squeeze through the netting, it'll hold them.

You can also put in a temporary cat flap if you have sliding windows. (If you have hinged ones, not so good.)

This is a picture of a caboodle:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqIOKocE4)3NOzp3BO(G5vJTRw~~60_35.JPG

If you can't buy one, you can make one - visit the hardware store and basically play meccano. You can use plumbers pipes for the frame, and plumbers fittings for the t-junction and corner pieces. You may need to buy the cat netting online - it's usually like fine cargo netting, made from a synthetic fibre. It needs to be heavy enough that they won't chew through it (which they'll also try if you have a particularly persistant cat).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

The Sweeper (good to see ya back by the way ;)), 2011..was the Year of Molly :o,stubborness and learning lessons.

2012 will be....minding Beanie better (he deserves it :)),balcony proofing & TNR'ing of the "á la carte" strays around here!There's too many.

Since October there's now "Merlin" (stunning blue/grey DSH), whos probably Mollys relation and equally as frustrating.Im workin on him...and named him so ye can see where this is going... :p

Aha look at you, sucked in again... :) Sorry to hear about Molly. Looking forward to hearing about Merlin...

Yeah been busy here too...

Transported six cats and one dog 2,500km from temperate region to the tropics. Two car journeys, two flights and 2.5 weeks in kennels. Moved into new property with timber paling fences, so cats are back to inside-only until we can cat-proof the yard. Have the fence toppers, just have to put them up. House is big, so they're coping.

Have had to implement all own best practice ideas on relocation, reducing stress, acclimatisation, transport crates, reintegration of pets and so on. Result: they took 24 hours to settle into the new property, and I came down with the flu due to looking after them better than myself, and have been hopelessly ill for a solid week.

Dog is fine, currently undergoing adjustment training on leaving poisonous cane toads the f**k alone. Cats hopeless in that department - must never be allowed outdoors after dark.

Non-roaming cats are a far easier concept to grasp when you live somewhere with cane toads and snakes.

Just to let you all know again...he is already neutered, that is very important to me. He got his latest vaccination less than a month ago and he was also flead and wormed. By vets orders, his next worming is due in February.

He's fed hills kitten food every day which is great for him, he's very healthy but like Ive said he's still so young. Thankfully we dont live near a very busy road (except in the summer because we're right beside a 4 mile beach).

Almost all neighbours here have either dogs or a cat. Most cats Ive seen just stroll around the lane or relax on the rooves in the heat...thats when it is sunny!

I know the landlord wont allow us to connect anything to the house, it took a bit of persuading for permission for a compost bin in the garden let alone a cat run connected to the house or a cat flap.

The caboodle does look good I must say but if we were to do that, then Id wait until spring as we live on the coast and we get very strong gales, fog and rain especially now.

I have the safe lock collar with the bell, the one that unlocks if he's caught in a branch etc. Its black though, ill think of something. Microchip for definate though.

I do oil painting (pet portraits and wild animals) and photography so he has up to date photos taken regularly. I could watch him all day he's so cute!

Ive lost a pets before, Im actually a dog person, my boyfriend is the cat person but I love cats too, especially now, but it was heart breaking losing our pet dogs when I was younger. One was robbed, one went missing (never returned), one accidently hung on the gate handle (I found him) and one was killed by a car (before my eyes)...they were all yorkies and all this happened through my childhood.
    My point there is, Id hate to see any of them happening to my little kitten.

Our neighbours are very friendly and all know each other very well, have lived her for generations and my best friend lives across from me, her family mind him for us when we're away which is great.

I think it's best to let them out, especially after reading the thread from anniehoo. Gardening isn't a big deal to my neighbours here.

Thank you everyone for all the tips and advice, i really appreciate it.

I think it's best to let them out, especially after reading the thread from anniehoo.

I'm kinda confused. That thread landed fairly clearly in favour of not letting your cats roam. And anniehoo herself above has stated that, in spite of being pro-outdoor-cats, she's one cat down since participating in that linked thread - her cat Molly is gone and there's no evidence of what happened to her.

But you read it and in that context decided letting your cat have unrestricted outdoor access is the best idea?

Its not that I didnt take in what anniehoo said at all. I understand exactly how she feels but after reading other posts in that tread...someone made a point of...cats are independant and need some fresh air etc.

Im still very nervous and wary but I cant imagine keeping him indoors for the rest of his life. Dont get me wrong...im NOT against people keeping their cat indoors or cats preferring indoors, I just think he'll enjoy playing and hunting outdoors.

He tries to eat everything still, anything around so I still think he's way too young to let him out all alone for hours on end plus the weather is very rough and dodgy out there. The gales are unreal and the rain just wont stop as we know and he hates getting wet so I think ill wait until spring and just supervise him in the garden for a little while on nice days.

We've only had him 2 months now and I cant imagine life without him now but I must be prepared and aware. I know. Ill do everything I possibly can to take care of him. He's neutered and ive been told that if you keep a kitten indoors and show them so much love and feed them that they return home (obviously someday there may be an accident) but I dont want to hold him back from playing outside.

Ill look in to making the caboodle, we made a big scratch post out of a big pipe, MDF and a rug so I dont see why not.

Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

As someone who likes cats, but cannot keep one as I can't give it the time it would deserve; I would ask you not to. A lot of my neighbours own cats, I constantly have them using my garden as a toilet, I have a few motorbikes in my front garden, all of them are covered. Most of the cats love nothing better than spraying their scent on them.

I think it is unfair that I have to clean after other peoples pets up on my own property. You can't blame the cats, so really the responsibility on the owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I saw a post here once that summed it up for me - if you love a cat don't let it outside.

My own is strictly indoors, always was and always will be.

I just don't think its worth it.

Sorry OP if this is coming across as harsh, I'm just looking at my wee woman and knowing that I couldn't stand it :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement