Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your thoughts on pet cats roaming free

Options
  • 11-08-2011 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭

After getting a warning in another thread for bringing this up i was advised by a mod to start a seperate thread about it if i wanted to discuss it.

Personally i hate cats coming into my garden, they sh!t all over the place and sometimes dont bury it, they sh!t in the flower pots which sometimes you dont find till your putting in new flowers and digging around with your hands and i came in to the kitchen one day recently and there was a cat on the bloody counter:mad: it was a warm day and we were home so a few windows were left open.

So id like to see what everyone else thinks about "pet" cats being let to roam where ever they like by their owners. I think the owners should have full responsibility if the cat damages anything or is causing trouble the same way dog owners are. If i let my dog roam the streets doing what it liked where it liked there would be war!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Mod Warning!!

I did say Kildare could start a new thread to calmly discuss the pros and cons of having cats roaming so I would advise all, including the OP to stick to that or this will end up being locked pretty quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

not again:(
    cats are not the same as dogs.
    I hate when my neighbours play music outside on a sunny day.
    I hate the revving engines as they play with their cars.
    I put up with it.
    I hate the idea that there are people out there that are so hateful to cats.
    Live and let live.

You must have very big attractive flower pots...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

I wish people would take as much responsibility for their children as they expect me to take for my cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

I've found cats to be a lot more timid and will in general, stay away.

We always had cats in my parents house growing up, and while our ones would be as bold as brass in 'their' house, they were very quick to head the other direction if they thought there were going to be any other humans in their general vicinity

In my own place cats don't tend to hang around as much... could be to do with the gruesome twosome though!! 2 Lab Staffy's are a GOOD deterrent!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Before I had a cat myself I didn't like them coming into my garden, or sometimes even the house if a door was open.
    After getting cat I changed my mind - you can't keep them inside and they usually don't poo in the middle of the lawn but under bushes and similar.

I don't like neighbours cats coming into the house but I just stamp my feet and chase them out and they know to stay away if I'm around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I don't mind cats at all. Even though I'm a dog person.

My neighbours have cats, before we got our dogs they were regular visitors to our garden and they were more than welcome. They keep other small furry pests away.

If I was ever to get a cat I certainly wouldn't keep it locked up in the house. Cats are independent creatures and like to go on little wanders by themselves and it would be extremely cruel to keep them confined as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

star-pants wrote: »
    Mod Warning!!

I did say Kildare could start a new thread to calmly discuss the pros and cons of having cats roaming so I would advise all, including the OP to stick to that or this will end up being locked pretty quickly.

One of the cons I personally have a serious problem with, is of them triggering security lights, which in turn alarms people for security reasons at 2 am.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

We have a good few cats in our neighbourhood, I have never heard any complaints though I do appreciate cat sh!t can be annoying but at least they tend to bury it.

Not sure there is much you can do, hunter cats will roam, it's just their nature and you can't stop it, there are products you can get to deter them from entering gardens etc, haven't used them so don't know how good they are

Much more annoying is watching dog owners watching their pet from the end of a lead taking a dump on a footpath and then just walking away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

planetX wrote: »
    not again:(
    cats are not the same as dogs.
    I hate when my neighbours play music outside on a sunny day.
    I hate the revving engines as they play with their cars.
    I put up with it.
    I hate the idea that there are people out there that are so hateful to cats.
    Live and let live.

You must have very big attractive flower pots...
    music and reving engines does not bother me at all and does it matter what the flower pots look like? I still use them so it matters to me that there is cats doin their business in them!

I am a dog person and dont care much for cats anyway but i have the same complaints about dogs in my estate.

If my dog goes outside its picked up

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think to a certain extent much of the problem is that some owners feel that when it's a cat their attitude is, "Ah sure what can you do?", when neighbours complain about cats disturbing plants, irritating dogs or otherwise making a nuisance.

Outside of social concerns, there are numerous legitimate reasons for not allowing a cat to roam - longevity and stress being two.
    I have to admit though I have never encountered any social problems caused by roaming cats. The neighbour below me has a cat that doesn't get let in if it's not outside the door at 9pm. It has badly scratched the handrail outside the house. It craps in the flowerbeds. Sometimes it whines outside at 5am. It sleeps on my bike in warm weather.

But the wooden handrail needs to be sanded and painted every few years anyway, I'm not precious about it. It craps in the flowerbeds along with a tonne of slugs and the hedgehogs and rats I've seen in them. Sometimes it whines outside, but it doesn't wake me or annoy me any more than someone slamming a car door or talking loudly outside. And it's nice to come out and find the cat on my bike and give it a quick pet .

In short, I wouldn't consider it to a "problem" in any way shape or form, unless I was a very uptight or highly strung person. In which case I'm sure that the occassional wake-up call at 5am seems like something worth complaining about.

And I'd say the same of all of my experiences with roaming cats throughout my life. I've never had an experience that I would consider an actual problem worth complaining about, definitely not worth legislating or suing for.
    If I was doing flowerpots, I'd have gardening gloves on anyway, so I wouldn't be too concerned what kind of detritus I found in the pot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aisher

Where I live there are about 3 cats (all different owners) who roam around the back walls. I had chickens at one point and they were a massive problem as you can imagine. I was fed up having to shoo them away and in the end got rid of the chickens as it was too much hassel. Now we have a dog and the cats so far have stayed away lol. I am not a fan of cats to be honest but as long as they dont come into the garden I will tolerate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

As mentioned above i treat dogs very different to cats also. In general cats are more savvy and cautious than dogs would be. I consider myself a responsible pet owner and my cats, to my knowledge, have not caused any damage to my neighbours property. If they did and they could prove it was my cat, id accept full responsibly just like i would if it was damage caused by my dog or my child. My cats are regularly wormed so finding faeces in your flower bed will do you no harm whatsoever from a dewormed animal.

I let my cats out for a few hours every evening for exercise and mental stimulation and i consider it no different than parents letting their children play unsupervised for hours on end around the estates where i live and yes, they really are unsupervised!!!They've wrecked newly planted shrubs, broken long established trees, created bald spots on the grass from riding their bikes..but it doesnt bother me enough to complain. Thats life!

I accept that permanent indoor cats have a grand life but i choose not to do that to mine, no more than i would keep my children locked indoors the whole time either.

anniehoo wrote: »
    As mentioned above i treat dogs very different to cats also. In general cats are more savvy and cautious than dogs would be. I consider myself a responsible pet owner and my cats, to my knowledge, have not caused any damage to my neighbours property. If they did and they could prove it was my cat, id accept full responsibly just like i would if it was damage caused by my dog or my child. My cats are regularly wormed so finding faeces in your flower bed will do you no harm whatsoever from a dewormed animal.

I let my cats out for a few hours every evening for exercise and mental stimulation and i consider it no different than parents letting their children play unsupervised for hours on end around the estates where i live and yes, they really are unsupervised!!!They've wrecked newly planted shrubs, broken long established trees, created bald spots on the grass from riding their bikes..but it doesnt bother me enough to complain. Thats life!

I accept that permanent indoor cats have a grand life but i choose not to do that to mine, no more than i would keep my children locked indoors the whole time either.

+1

I would equate cats that are kept indoors all the time to dogs that aren't walked. It just doesn't rest well with me. Pets really don't ask for much, food, water, shelter and a bit of freedom for cats and walks for dogs.

I detest cats roaming free about my garden.

It's bad enough they p*ss all over flowers, killing them and forcing me to buy more to replace them.

It's even more of a problem that they defecate in my flower beds. I have a toddler who loves to play in my back garden, which outside the cat sh*t is more or less relatively safe. I clean it up regularly, but it's an ongoing battle. I don't see why I should have to do this, they're not my cats, if it was rats or mice, I'd be able to put down traps for them and end the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I hear they hate citrus so why not cut up some citrus fruits or put juice in the areas they go. It may deter them.

Boys will be boys and cats will be cats!

ElleEm wrote: »
    I hear they hate citrus so why not cut up some citrus fruits or put juice in the areas they go. It may deter them.

Boys will be boys and cats will be cats!

I've tried citrus, commercial brand stuff, tea bags with pepper, you name it. All very short term solutions to an ongoing problem.

Would consider calling the warden, but I'd never catch the offending felines in question...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

A massive problem that cats can cause if out free roaming is the damage they do to silage bales by puncturing the plastic.
    It's easy enough for them to cause several hundred euros of damage if there not noticed.
    The damage they do to wildlife life annoys me too.

Boys will be boys is scant consolation, and as boy (years ago!) any damage I done had consequences.

Bizzum wrote: »
    A massive problem that cats can cause if out free roaming is the damage they do to silage bales by puncturing the plastic.
    It's easy enough for them to cause several hundred euros of damage if there not noticed.
    The damage they do to wildlife life annoys me too.

Boys will be boys is scant consolation, and as boy (years ago!) any damage I done had consequences.
    cats in fields i consider vermin and treat accordingly but its different in the housing estate

cats in fields i consider vermin and treat accordingly but its different in the housing estate

:eek:
    I doubt the ISPCA would share you're point of view.

:eek:
    I doubt the ISPCA would share you're point of view.

How are the ISPCA at repairing silage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

My cats are regularly wormed so finding faeces in your flower bed will do you no harm whatsoever from a dewormed animal.

I have kept cats in the past and quite like them however i wonder if you'd feel the same if i let my wormed dog mess in your garden and did not clean it up or do you go out everyday and clean up after them?

For me the pros of keeping cats are they are lovely (normally) friendly independant animals who help keep the vermin away.

The cons would be that as independant animals unless i supervise all their outside time i cannot be sure what they are getting up to (anymore than i can with my teenagers:rolleyes:).

Should my neighbours have to put up with my animals on their property just because i want them, i'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

The same can be said for virtually any animal, or indeed a person, but that doesn't mean it's still not an unpleasant thing to find, be the waste from a cat, a dog, or an incredibly ignorant human! With that in mind, I don't really see your comment as a reason to dismiss anger over it.
    Do the kids venture onto private property/into houses uninvited, and do that damage there? If so, especially in the latter cases, I would certainly be complaining about that, and it is analogous to the OPs points re cats.
    So would you give your children the freedom to wander across other people's property, and in and out of their houses, leaving "presents" for them? Because again, this is a complaint of the OP about free roaming cats. Now I realise that cats have no concept of private property or other human concepts, but this is the very same as most pet animals (and I will not limit this to dogs, as people tend to jump on licensing as something that distinguishes dogs), yet while almost all other pet owners are expected to take responsibility for this in one way or another, cat owners seem to count themselves apart, and fob it off as their pet(s)' "independent nature"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

One of the cons I personally have a serious problem with, is of them triggering security lights, which in turn alarms people for security reasons at 2 am.

My two have learnt to slink in between the flower pots so they don't set our security light off.

Of course, you can adjust the sensitivity setting on them if it bothers you that much.

piperh wrote: »
    I have kept cats in the past and quite like them however i wonder if you'd feel the same if i let my wormed dog mess in your garden and did not clean it up or do you go out everyday and clean up after them?

For me the pros of keeping cats are they are lovely (normally) friendly independant animals who help keep the vermin away.

The cons would be that as independant animals unless i supervise all their outside time i cannot be sure what they are getting up to (anymore than i can with my teenagers:rolleyes:).

Should my neighbours have to put up with my animals on their property just because i want them, i'm not sure.
    well put and i think thats what it comes down to at the end of the day. I have 2 young kids also who play out the back on the swings and that, the little lad who is 3 plays around the bushes with his toys, why do people expect me to be ok with this??? they are not my cats!

well put and i think thats what it comes down to at the end of the day. I have 2 young kids also who play out the back on the swings and that, the little lad who is 3 plays around the bushes with his toys, why do people expect me to be ok with this??? they are not my cats!

I don't understand what we're expected to do about this. Would you like to start taking pot shots at cats or what?

They're cats, they're going to roam.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

vicwatson wrote: »

I just remembered, a bloke at work says he sprinkled pepper around and he never saw any more cats, lucky for the cats actually, he's not a great cat lover either.

gufnork wrote: »
    I don't understand what we're expected to do about this. Would you like to start taking pot shots at cats or what?

They're cats, they're going to roam.
    Im guessin you have a cat that roams so

Im guessin you have a cat that roams so

Yep. He's a big chap too. He'll quite happily stroll up to anyone. Very friendly chap. That's how we got him. He just strolled nonchalently into our house one day. Poor little guy was starving, I mean literally starving. He ate 10 pouches of cat food before curling up on the armchair for a snooze.

How can anyone not love the little guys?

• Advertisement

It's irresponsible ownership to allow cats roam freely causing damage, and trying to justify it is worse.
    Can you imagine the mayhem if farmers behaved like this with livestock.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement