Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling Free Range Eggs

Options
  • 27-11-2011 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

I want to sell my surplus chicken eggs and I want to get a sign for outside my house. Is it true that if you are selling eggs 'over the farm gate', you are not actually allowed to say that the eggs are for sale?!

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Anyone? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Its illegal to sell eggs at a roadside without a licence
    eg; eggs for sale.
    But you can do this,put up a sign saying "free range eggs"
    Its a loophole
    Its legal once you dont say they are for sale,
    People will understand! :D

Thank you! Hope they understand around here! ;)

Someone in the UK has just told me that I need to make sure they are actually Free range as they are only free range if they are not restricted or fenced in at all. What is the position on this in Ireland?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Marketing tip #102

When you put up the sign, make sure you deliberately misspell the wording - something like " free range egg's ". And make sure the sign is not level.

I was told to do this years ago, it's to make the sign more eye catching and create the impression that you are not a commercial venture :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Thats the problem with this country need a licence to this to do that
    all red tape to keep pen pushers in a job,

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

If it's just a couple of dozen a week then just ask around the neighbours and friends and see who wants them. I'm paying for feed from a couple of boxes a week to colleagues and friends. No signs involved.

If it's just a couple of dozen a week then just ask around the neighbours and friends and see who wants them. I'm paying for feed from a couple of boxes a week to colleagues and friends. No signs involved.

The locals where I live aren't the friendliest, so it will be passers-by, hence the need for a sign. If I can cover the price of feed I'll be happy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

genie wrote: »
    The locals where I live aren't the friendliest, so it will be passers-by, hence the need for a sign. If I can cover the price of feed I'll be happy. :)
    Sounds like you already have a use for the surplus eggs in that case. :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

You mean rotten ones, surely?

• Advertisement

slowburner wrote: »
    You mean rotten ones, surely?

Definitely! I wouldn't waste good fresh eggs on the yokels! :D

Definitely! I wouldn't waste good fresh eggs on the yokels! :D
    At least not until you can see the whites of their eyes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

How many hens do you keep? I bought 4 hens first 1 died and the fox took another. Then I bought 4 more so that there would be a few left in case the fox struck again. With 6 hens there were way too many eggs ended up giving away eggs away. I give them to neighbours and family can't imagine what they would say if I started charging for them. They would probably throw them back at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I have four chickens & five ducks, when they are all laying I have way too many eggs, I usually try to give them away, or feed them to the pig!!:D

I have four chickens and one guinea hen. Three of the chickens are laying on and off at the moment, which isn't bad for December. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

No6 wrote: »
    I have four chickens & five ducks, when they are all laying I have way too many eggs, I usually try to give them away, or feed them to the pig!!:D

Why not pickle some, dead easy to do, hard boil them, peel them, then into Kilner jar with vinegar, sugar & water.

really creamy yokes & great for sangwich

A

Askim wrote: »
    Why not pickle some, dead easy to do, hard boil them, peel them, then into Kilner jar with vinegar, sugar & water.

really creamy yokes & great for sangwich

A
    Mmmmm:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

I want to sell my surplus chicken eggs and I want to get a sign for outside my house. Is it true that if you are selling eggs 'over the farm gate', you are not actually allowed to say that the eggs are for sale?!

Thanks! :)

Passed a sign today that just said 'Farm Fresh Eggs'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Mo60 wrote: »
    Passed a sign today that just said 'Farm Fresh Eggs'

A place outside Naas I pass just has a picture of a fried egg and "fresh eggs" under it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I must try that Askim, My quice is improving all the time!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement