Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retiring to Cork - where to live in the City?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

Frankfield another good spot

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

Is almost self-contained as regards shops, also within 15 minutes walk to town, and is not located up a hill. Good luck with your move.

Montenotte is a tad high pricewise, Blackpool on the other hand isn't but hardly ideal to retire there if you aren't from there, you'd have to be fairly selective which part and check out the neighbours too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

donalh087 wrote: »
    How about Dyke Parade?
    :D
    OP, ya have to! :)

Nah, unfortunately it is low-lying and gets hammered during floods, and it's noisy and studenty. Wouldn't suit you I don't think. Damn! :pac:

Sundays Well could be expensive - unless you rent a kip. Blarney Street can be kinda rough and it's really dreary.
    Shanakiel/Hollyhill and Blarney Road are the same area - might be more affordable/nicer.
    I'd recommend the newer part of Blackpool. The old part can be like Blarney Street in places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Landmags

I must admit my heart is still with Cork rather than Galway. Wilton has potential but Glasheen has lots of small green spaces and prices seem very reasonable... any downsides?

• Advertisement

Landmags wrote: »
    I must admit my heart is still with Cork rather than Galway. Wilton has potential but Glasheen has lots of small green spaces and prices seem very reasonable... any downsides?

Glasheen is very nice, only potential downsides is some houses will have students as tenants but that would be predominantly on Magazine Road. No downsides as such to Glasheen I reckon. You are on a bus route, walking distance (ish) to town and Wilton. The Lough, Fitzgeralds Park and The Lee fields aren't too far away. Antisocial behaviour with be negligible, perhaps non existent. Reasonable taxi fare from the city too which might be a consideration for a non car owner.

It's a very very settled area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Glasheen - great area. But as Rover says, it's near the university. It's also not too far from the institute of technology. I don't think too many students rent there though - it's too residential.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Someone mentioned Glanmire, great place to live, but you don't drive, you need to drive if you are going to live in Glanmire, the public transport is very poor. I think Douglas or Wilton are excellent suggestions, bus stop outside CUH seems to never stop going. Lived in Wilton before and never had any problems with the area. Cork is a nice place, just there are some places to avoid!

Dudess wrote: »
    .............. But as Rover says, it's near the university. ....................

Just thinking there, parts of UCC campus aren't bad for a stroll either really :) Nice bit by the Lee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Landmags

Once again thanks to everyone for their advice, opinions and information. It really is all appreciated - thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭gifted

I'm living in Galway for the last three and a half years but from Cork city originally and would definetly move back down in the morning but herself has work commitments up here so no joy :rolleyes:, We live in Oranmore which is a nice village just outside of Galway. Galway city itself is a lively oul spot, good crack up here, good music scene and some great restaurants. Would still rather Cork though but I am bias :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Aug2009

I would stick to the Western Side of the CIty as you can nip down to West Cork easily. Would you consider moving a 30 minute drive away? It really is far nicer than the city. 30 minutes west of COrk City and you have beautiul scenery and a bit of privacy as well. Anywhere around Bandon is only 30 minutes from City yet only 10 minutes from the heart of Ireland - West Cork. Best of both worlds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Aug2009

Aug2009 wrote: »
    I would stick to the Western Side of the CIty as you can nip down to West Cork easily. Would you consider moving a 30 minute drive away? It really is far nicer than the city. 30 minutes west of COrk City and you have beautiul scenery and a bit of privacy as well. Anywhere around Bandon is only 30 minutes from City yet only 10 minutes from the heart of Ireland - West Cork. Best of both worlds?

Just realised you don't drive. Probably excludes that so as public transport isnt great. Pity though. Beautiful part of the country.

Advertisement