Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong Winds Forecast for Saturday night

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

was very breezy here in Dublin earlyer but it seemes to have abated a bit now and it's now a mild morning here in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

was very breezy here in Dublin earlyer but it seemes to have abated a bit now and it's now a mild morning here in Dublin

Not in Dublin airport it's not.... AJIFF's everywhere :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Was just about to post same.

Form RTE:

A search is continuing for six other crew members.

The 'Swanland', a dry cargo vessel, went down approximately 80 kilometres south-east of Dublin, off Wales' Bardsey Island.

The alert was raised shortly after 2am.

The two crew members were found at around 4am and winched aboard a rescue helicopter. They were taken to an RAF base.

The Irish coastguard helicopter, along with the UK coastguard service, is continuing the search for the other crew members.

The coastguard is still reporting very difficult conditions in the area, with high winds and rough seas.

Hopefully more crew will be found (alive).

I have sailed around Bardsey Island - really not a place you want to be with a strong tide and strong wind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Tomorrow could be an interesting day to do a spot of barometer watching as most models are now forecasting a fairly steady drop of around 20 hPa (and possibly by more in the NW) in the 24hr period between 00z Monday & 00z Tuesday ahead of active frontal zone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

What would a large drop in pressure mean or is it just the actual drop that's interesting ?

irish1967 wrote: »
    What would a large drop in pressure mean or is it just the actual drop that's interesting ?

I am just referring to the actual drop in pressure as it is fairly significant by any standards although fairly evened out over the 24hr period.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭weisses

Iancar29 wrote: »
    wouldnt like to be flying into Dublin Airport tonight...

LandingLIVELEAK_468x371.jpg

:rolleyes:

Why not ..that foto is from Hamburg :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Both id craft 1D 119 & 117 R118 & R119 CHC Ireland and R131 RAF Valley in the air comms 5.680 USB Kinloss coordinating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Some strong winds recorded through northern Scotland last night, especially the Orkneys.

Strongest winds:

Buoy 62128 (North Sea) W 58 kts
    Shp BATEU14 (North Sea) W 53 kts
    Wick (Orkneys) W51 Gust 71 kts
    Kirkwall Airport (Orkneys) W 49 Gust 65 kts

We should see some more strong winds continue today through the North Sea and into southern Norway, Denmark and the Baltic.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Top gust of 67knots at Mace head!
    The noise in the chimney is something else!

Mace officially maxed at 59kt up to midnight

http://www.met.ie/climate/daily-data.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Mace officially maxed at 59kt up to midnight

http://www.met.ie/climate/daily-data.asp

That's strange, the 23.00 report definitely had 67knots as max gust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

I was doing a survey on the MV Ulysses yesterday (Dublin - Holyhead - Dublin) , leaving at 08:00 returning at 17:30.

Going across to Wales, the wind was relatively steady at 35 to 45 knots, with a max gust of 47 knots recorded approx half way across. The sea remained relatively calm (Sea State 3).

Leaving Holyhead on the way back, it seemed as if the wind had died down (Gusts 25 to 30 knots), with Sea State 2. However, leaving the lee of Holy Island changed things! The wind quickly picked up, remaining at around 45 to 50 knots. About 30 mins after leaving Holy Island, I recorded a max gust of 57 knots (105 km/h).

Needless to say, the sea was significantly rougher (Sea State 5-6), with the boat getting quite a battering. The spray of one of the waves managed to cover most of the windows on the bridge :eek:.

However, the intensity of the wind gradually dropped to around 35 to 40 knots as we approached. A final gust of around 50 to 52 knots lasting for several minutes was recorded not far from the Kish lighthouse.

Wind measurements were taken from the instruments on the bridge of the ship, however I can't vouch for their accuracy. I'll post some photos later.

That's strange, the 23.00 report definitely had 67knots as max gust.

Here is the realtime windspeed for Mace Head for the last 24 hours, from their own official site, showing a 57-knot spike late last evening.

182867.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Su Campu wrote: »
    Here is the realtime windspeed for Mace Head for the last 24 hours, from their own official site, showing a 57-knot spike late last evening.

attachment.prhp?attachmentid=182867&stc=1&d=1322433562

Stranger still. Where do met eireann get their data from, they say 59.
    I double checked before I posted so I don't know...

Stranger still. Where do met eireann get their data from, they say 59.
    I double checked before I posted so I don't know...

I wouldn't worry about it. Spikes are always suspect anyway ~ if I saw this in my own station I'd simply dismiss it.

Then if I saw that other stations showed similar results, I'd call it, more or less as an average.

Met Eireann, the public and web service is also not live ~ it's update are at least 20 minutes behind live stations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Not bet after midnight....ie early sunday. Highest gust yesterday was 50kt

http://www.met.ie/latest/yesterday.asp

gbee wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about it. Spikes are always suspect anyway ~ if I saw this in my own station I'd simply dismiss it.

Then if I saw that other stations showed similar results, I'd call it, more or less as an average.

Met Eireann, the public and web service is also not live ~ it's update are at least 20 minutes behind live stations.

Spikes are important, and the one in the chart above is real as it occured just as the front was passing. ME's observations are taken on the hour every hour, and the gusts quoted on their site refer to the hour since the previous report. The fact that the reports only update after 20 mins means nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I saw that report of 67 knots at Mace Head as well, think it was 2300h Saturday. It may reappear in the monthly summary, we shall see.

Galway Harbour had a similar spike to 63 knots as the front passed. That station's data can be found at the Galway Harbour website.

At this point, Wednesday is looking rather windy, and some models have Saturday 3 Dec (morning) very windy, although the ECM so far does not agree.

Though not official, I recorded a similar 'spike' at 11pm that night as well (35km NE of Galway City) as the front passed over: (Just to note that I only have my weather station set to record data on an hourly basis)

182908.png

Although only a roof-mounted anemometer my peak gust was 52mph (45 Knots) during the passage of the front (grey line on 'Weatherlink' graph shows MSLP trend / blue is highest hourly gust in MPH) so I would guess that high gust at Mace Head would have occurred closer to 10pm as that station is around 50 miles WSW of here and located on the very exposed Atlantic coast.

Have to say it did become notably squally just before the front arrived and again for a small while after it had passed over.

• Advertisement

Su Campu wrote: »

182867.png

I've been trying to compare this chart with my one, just for my own personal consumption, however the Julian Day has me lost and Wiki has left my head spinning.

What date is this from and what time and is it running left to right or right to left. I can more or less mirror this graph [not in intensity].

gbee wrote: »
    I've been trying to compare this chart with my one, just for my own personal consumption, however the Julian Day has me lost and Wiki has left my head spinning.

What date is this from and what time and is it running left to right or right to left. I can more or less mirror this graph [not in intensity].

The 331 mark is 0000UTC on Sunday, i.e. midnight Saturday night. The 330.8 mark before it is 0.2 days (4.8 hours) before midnight (so 19:12 Saturday evening). So 331.2 is 04:48 Sunday, 331.4 is 09:36, etc.

Thank you Su Campu, I was just not getting it at all.

This is my chart. from midday Friday through to midday Sunday which puts my peak wind a little before midnight on the Friday

182915.jpg

Unfortunately the synop reports are only available for every 3 hours for Mace Head, so the midnight one is the most relevant. It only gives the max mean speed and gust in the 10 minutes preceding the observation, so says nothing of the preceding 3 hours since the last report.

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/decomet?ind=03963&ano=2011&mes=11&day=27&hora=00&single=yes&lang=en

AAXX 27001 03963 17657 /2519 10123 20092 30026 40054 57004 60021 72285 82///
    333 82/39 87/63 90710 91125 91222=

So taking the 333 line, between 23:50 and 0000, the gust (the 911 group) was 25 m/s (49 kts) and the highest mean speed (the 912 group)was 22 m/s (43 kts).

Advertisement