Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you do too much, too soon?

• 25-11-2011 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭

I'll try to keep this as brief as possible - I've quit smoking after 25 years, trying to get fit and bulk up. I've "buddied" up with a guy who lives down the road from me (he's a boxer), and we meet twice a week. On a Tue./Wed. we do pad and mitt work, some light sparring etc., it's about 90 minutes or so. On a Friday we meet for weight training. I have a bench, straight bar, ez-curl, tricep bar, weights for these (obviously) and some dumbells. We do about 90 minutes to 2 hours on this, followed by some more mitts/pads work. In between, I'm cycling 8 to 10km twice a week. We've b een doing this about two weeks. Today, I did about 100 minutes weights, straight onto the bike and did about 8km and then to the pool for an hour or so.

I was just wondering is it too much, too soon? Could I burn myself out? I'm impatient and want to get fit and get big, quickly. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭BlueIsland

I'll try to keep this as brief as possible - I've quit smoking after 25 years, trying to get fit and bulk up. I've "buddied" up with a guy who lives down the road from me (he's a boxer), and we meet twice a week. On a Tue./Wed. we do pad and mitt work, some light sparring etc., it's about 90 minutes or so. On a Friday we meet for weight training. I have a bench, straight bar, ez-curl, tricep bar, weights for these (obviously) and some dumbells. We do about 90 minutes to 2 hours on this, followed by some more mitts/pads work. In between, I'm cycling 8 to 10km twice a week. We've b een doing this about two weeks. Today, I did about 100 minutes weights, straight onto the bike and did about 8km and then to the pool for an hour or so.

I was just wondering is it too much, too soon? Could I burn myself out? I'm impatient and want to get fit and get big, quickly. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

You gotta be patient and you will start noticing changes. Ya get big while you rest also. train hard, adequate rest, train hard again and so on. If your aim is to bulk up you are prob doing too much cycling/swimming.
    Keep training with your buddy, get a structured weights plan, do some sprints/ interval training twice a week, eat well, rest well and you will notice changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Nice one, cheers. With regard to the swimming, it's more to wind down, loosen muscles etc. Obviously it won't do any harm doing lengths/widths as it'll help with my fitness. Thanks for the advice man.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭BlueIsland

Nice one, cheers. With regard to the swimming, it's more to wind down, loosen muscles etc. Obviously it won't do any harm doing lengths/widths as it'll help with my fitness. Thanks for the advice man.

Swimming = cardio. Weirdly if you go down and do a quick 30 lengths say ya might "do harm" .I go pool after sessions myself sometimes. Do few lengths (10 maybe) nice and handy in different strokes. Do bit of stretching in between each length!

BlueIsland wrote: »
    Swimming = cardio. Weirdly if you go down and do a quick 30 lengths say ya might "do harm" .I go pool after sessions myself sometimes. Do few lengths (10 maybe) nice and handy in different strokes. Do bit of stretching in between each length!

But is it really that harmful to do some cardio. I not only want to bulk up, but get fit too. Unless getting fit in someway would prevent me bulking up? Cheers though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I don't think it's harmful to do cardio it just means you'll have to up your calorie intake to account for it which most people wouldn't do. The more cardio you do the more calories you're burning so the less that's avaialble for your muscles but if you just take it into consideration and focus on eating more than just a regular bulk you should be fine I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

swimming is great for the shoulders and back

also a great non impact cardio.
    you can go as hard or as slow as you want at it

Blacktie. wrote: »
    I don't think it's harmful to do cardio it just means you'll have to up your calorie intake to account for it which most people wouldn't do. The more cardio you do the more calories you're burning so the less that's avaialble for your muscles but if you just take it into consideration and focus on eating more than just a regular bulk you should be fine I'd imagine.

Cheers man. Well, I have a pretty voracious appetite anyway! This morning for breakfast I had a fry-up (weekends only) which was 10 sausages, 4 rashers, three fried eggs, white pudding and 4 slices of toast. At dinner I had roast beef, spuds, mushy peas, yorkshire puddings, carrots etc. - twice! And this evening, 3 fillets of chicken breast with Peri Peri sauce and brown rice. In fairness, I don't normally have that much for breakfast, but it's just to point out the appetite I have. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

You say you've given up smoking - well done - but that tells us nothing about what the rest of your lifestyle was like for that time. Is this all 0 to 60 on the training? Just jumped off the couch and started training like you'd an MMA fight coming up? What was your fitness like before you started the current regime?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Sausages are quite bad for you (I think)

Maybe cut them out?

You say you've given up smoking - well done - but that tells us nothing about what the rest of your lifestyle was like for that time. Is this all 0 to 60 on the training? Just jumped off the couch and started training like you'd an MMA fight coming up? What was your fitness like before you started the current regime?

I used to be fit, but YEARS ago. I cycled the length and width of the country, I did numerous styles of martial arts, I was pretty fit. But over time, I phased them all out and didn't do anything. Having said that, all my jobs have been physical, a lot of lifting and pushing and pulling, and running up and down stairs all day. So although I wasn't actually "exercising" I was pretty active.

• Advertisement

Sausages are quite bad for you (I think)

Maybe cut them out?

Aw no, don't tell me that! I love me sausies! :(:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Aw no, don't tell me that! I love me sausies! :(:D

Your fry-up is providing you with a lot of trans-fats, which are definetly not what you want. Furthermore, as far as I'm aware, sausages are very high in fat relative to protein content, and much of this fat is saturated, which is bad in big doses.

At any rate, switch to the grill, if only for lower cholesterol and less trans-fats. Also try the eggs poached, the bacon is relatively okay, wholemeal toast, reduce the sausages. - Just subtle changes when you are having your "cheat breakfast" at weekends might make a lot of difference to your overall health

Thanks for that Sir DB, everything gets done in the grill anyway, so that's something I suppose. It's only at weekends anyway. Cheers.

Advertisement