Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adopted springer, House size.

Options
  • 25-11-2011 3:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Morning all,

As some will have read, my best mate passed away last week. I took over walking his horse like springer spaniel (12months). see here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056457018

Was making good progress and then i was asked to adopt him. So i did.
    He'll remain with the family until i sort out his housing etc. Hopefully wed/thurs next week so i have a few days to get sorted.

I'll be building his house myself, simle reason... I just want to :P

As you can see below i have a bit of room to work with, so size isnt really an issue. But at the same time as i'll be buying timber i dont want to spend a fotune on a massive house, nor do i want to leave him short of space.

Whats an average size for a springers house?

I know i can just get dimensions of a std dog kennel, but i often feel even the larger ones are a tad small.

Traxx003.jpg
    CopyofTraxx001.jpg
    CopyofTraxx002.jpg

Thanks folks,
    Keith & Bruno.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Not on subject at all, but I would be concerned about the height of the wall on the left of the first picture - all too easy for a springer to jump over if he got bored! (I'm assuming the area with the trampoline and shed is not your property)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

With regard the a kennel..... go to your local pet shop and ask them for a kennel to suit a Springer.... or else here:

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_houses_flaps/dog_houses/natura/189143

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_houses_flaps/dog_houses/spike/129920

I know you want build your own but the designs may help and the website give measurements etc.... :P

the rick with a proper sized kennel is once fully grown your dog must be able to go down the back of the kennel standing up and turn around.... is he cannot do this he won’t use his kennel...

also make sure the kennel is on blocks... not directly on the ground....as this will keep your dog warmer and cosier when it rains and its cold...

also i can’t recommend vet bed enough for dogs who sleep outdoors... if your dog get wet, it draws moisture away from his skin and helps keep him dry and war,... plus its virtually chew proof....

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_beds_baskets/dog_blankets/vetbed/251997

also, please don’t take this as criticism but your garden is quiet small... and Springer’s like all hunting’s dogs will need lots of exercise (once fully grown) so for your own sake please make sure he is well exercised or your garden will be destroyed...

Believe me i know, owing a cocker and all.... but spaniels are fab dogs with proper training and exercise they make amazing dogs!

Enjoy and best of luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Not on subject at all, but I would be concerned about the height of the wall on the left of the first picture - all too easy for a springer to jump over if he got bored! (I'm assuming the area with the trampoline and shed is not your property)
    That'd be easy enough to address with a nice, decorative trellis.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

cocker5 wrote: »

also, please don’t take this as criticism but your garden is quiet small... and Springer’s like all hunting’s dogs will need lots of exercise (once fully grown) so for your own sake please make sure he is well exercised or your garden will be destroyed...

Your right, the wall dividing mine and my neighbours is a tad low. The piture does not depict but its 5'7" form the ground, but adding some form of fencing will be a priority.

As for excercise, I'm taking him on 1hr morning and 2hr evening walks through all sort of terrain. And thats with the added inconvenience of having to go to my mate's homplace twice a day and home again.
    Rest assured he will be exercised.

On the block issue, it will be raised. Roughly the same thickness timbers as used for the blocks in pallets, but as opposed to blocks, 3 lenghts the depth of the house. One down each side and one down the middle. Same idea as a pallet, but lenghts as opposed to blocks.

I'll build wall frames using 2x2 or similar and panel them with shiplap. The roof will also be shiplap with a line of silicon along the top join so as to keep the water out.

The bedding will be a waterproof padded unit, but for the winter months until spring he can sleep on a bed in the utility room.

The local groomer has said she will collect him, wash / trim etc and bring him back for €30 a go so as to keep him in good presentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Your right, the wall dividing mine and my neighbours is a tad low. The piture does not depict but its 5'7" form the ground, but adding some form of fencing will be a priority.

As for excercise, I'm taking him on 1hr morning and 2hr evening walks through all sort of terrain. And thats with the added inconvenience of having to go to my mate's homplace twice a day and home again.
    Rest assured he will be exercised.

On the block issue, it will be raised. Roughly the same thickness timbers as used for the blocks in pallets, but as opposed to blocks, 3 lenghts the depth of the house. One down each side and one down the middle. Same idea as a pallet, but lenghts as opposed to blocks.

I'll build wall frames using 2x2 or similar and panel them with shiplap. The roof will also be shiplap with a line of silicon along the top join so as to keep the water out.

The bedding will be a waterproof padded unit, but for the winter months until spring he can sleep on a bed in the utility room.

The local groomer has said she will collect him, wash / trim etc and bring him back for €30 a go so as to keep him in good presentation.

A bit of insulation will help as well. And heavy plastic strips to keep wind out.
    You're really good for doing this, a dog is a fantastic companion and he will be a constant reminder of your friend. :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Here's a simple way to measure

Measure the dog and then add the following on to the measurements (go this from a youtube video on building kennels).

Height of dog plus 9 inches.
    Length of dog plus 18 inches.
    Width of dog plus 12 inches

I've ordered two insulated dog kennels getting them next week, can't wait. They are fully insulated sides, floor etc. Cleanable floor, part roof lifts up for easy cleaning etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Garden size looks fine for a springer, its the same as my garden and my springer has plenty of room to chase a ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Good for you : ) sounds like he/Best Boy Bruno is going to have a great new adventure with you; your friend would be pleased; we all are mad about our dogs /pets here! I got mine a rehoming if needed card from the dogs trust(free) cos I know no-one would or could take mine in if anything ever happened to me; that's one lucky dog there! Youmusthave beenvery close to your mate to do that; I'm sorry for your loss.
    My neighbour built a huge kennel for his dog; I'd greatfun watching it evolve from the window!!! He got the eood from the site he works on. He put in removable / readjustable panels so he make it bigger if needed; and the roof can be adjusted on & off for cleaning/hosing & taking in & put blankets/toys/half chewed dead yokes/random treasures!!
    I bought/ acquired mine : all fancy and top of the range and the dog WILL NOT go into it unless under serious duress ( ie totally sulking at me!!!) or is BAD and being banished. She wassuposed to be an outdoors dog and live in herhome in the garden butthat didn't happen!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I would add a partition in it so that he has to go around it to get to his sleeping area, this would keep any drafts out and keep him cosier. Don't make the kennel too big as you want it to keep in some heat. Or if your building a big kennel add the partition to make a small sleeping area so it keeps in the heat while he still has a big area just to sit and look out and keep his bowls dry. I have heavy duty plastic strips on the door of mine to keep out rain and the wind (which took a bit of training to get him used to it, silly dog :rolleyes:).

Edited to add: Thats not my kennel, just a random picture I stole off the internet. Would love to be able to design and build my own kennel but I'm a little DIY-challenged!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

Zapperzy wrote: »

Edited to add: Thats not my kennel, just a random picture I stole off the internet. Would love to be able to design and build my own kennel but I'm a little DIY-challenged!

Tbh when i read your post first i was a bit , sure i'll add in a fitted kitchen and utility room too :p But your posting of the picture has made it alot clearer, and its a cracking idea!

Thanks alot for the idea.

Gonna get it built wed afternoon. I'll post pics and specs of final design and the build. Should be interesting.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Tbh when i read your post first i was a bit , sure i'll add in a fitted kitchen and utility room too :p But your posting of the picture has made it alot clearer, and its a cracking idea!

Thanks alot for the idea.

Gonna get it built wed afternoon. I'll post pics and specs of final design and the build. Should be interesting.:pac:

Apologies, I'm a bit crap at explaining things at times! :D

Advertisement