Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springer spaniel issue's.

Options
  • 20-11-2011 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Evening all,

My mate passed away last week. His family were given a present of a springer spaniel pup. He is now 12mnts old.

My mates siblings are all female teens. He was the one who walked the dog. So i obliged as they said "he's as strong as an ox, and we wouldnt be able". I thought, sure he's a dog, he'll be fine. I thought as i'm a strong, well built young man, i'd be well able for him.

Very wrong. I mean i have no problem taking him on his hours walk. He doesn't drag me, but my arm is tensed the whole walk to keep control. He just pulls and pulls for the whole walk. He does keep in front at all times. He doesn't try to run off in other directions. Other dogs don't bother him, he makes no attempt to pull off nor does he try to fight etc, he's just all bout his walk.

My first thought was a choke chain to teach him not to pull so much. But they tell me they have one, and he actually passed out so they stopped using it.

I've been googling away here looking at tecniques etc for walking. I'm just looking for someone who had a similar experience of such a strong, hyper dog and training it to walk. It does seem to me that he is taking the lead i.e he's bringing me for a walk, and not letting me lead him on the walk.

I'm not so much looking for him to walk by my side. Most dogs i've owned walked in front, but never pulled for an hour solid.

Someone mentioned to me, a muzzle type set up for teaching a dog to walk without pulling. Tried a bit of a google, but does anyone know what its called?

I'm a bit lost as any dog i've owned i've had since a pup and it always just fell into place. This being another mans dog, and it doesn't seem to have been trained in any way.

All help greatfully appreciated.

Keith.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74351556

Have a look thru this link Keith there are some useful suggestions.
    I use a dogmatic and find it great.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

RubyGirl wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74351556

Have a look thru this link Keith there are some useful suggestions.
    I use a dogmatic and find it great.

Perfect. i'll have a read, and try find a bit of info on the dogmatic.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

There are several headcollars and harnesses designed to help train dogs not to pull. Read up on Halti, Dogmatic, and Gentle Leader and see if there are any that would suit you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

I have a springer that I rescued when he was just shy of 7, and for about the first year or so I HATED walking him on the lead :(
    I tried everything including halti and the dogmatic, although one thing i never considered trying was a choke chain.
    What worked for me was the front attach harness, with this style there is nothing on his face to annoy him but he can't pull as when he tries he ends up spinning around, with this harness my 14 year old daughter can walk him :)

Best of luck and well done for what you're doing, it's a really good thing your doing, I'm sure your mate would be very grateful.

I have a springer that I rescued when he was just shy of 7, and for about the first year or so I HATED walking him on the lead :(
    I tried everything including halti and the dogmatic, although one thing i never considered trying was a choke chain.
    What worked for me was the front attach harness, with this style there is nothing on his face to annoy him but he can't pull as when he tries he ends up spinning around, with this harness my 14 year old daughter can walk him :)

Best of luck and well done for what you're doing, it's a really good thing your doing, I'm sure your mate would be very grateful.

I've had a read of the link posted above. Having had a look at the head collars, and the halti, i'm leaning towards the front attach harness.

I've never had a dog who liked a muzzle/headgear. And tbh the halti looks like a messy contraption.

I like the fact that your 14yr old can now walk the dog. His youngest sister is this age.

I like taking him for a walk. My mate would be greatful but i'm doing it for more selfish reasons. I like walking him, i dont currently have a dog of my own and when we walk we always go to visit the grave so i have someone/thing with me as i sit and chat to me buddy. Maybe not selfish in the traditional sense, but he helps me cope so its no chore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Those harnesses are great, just make sure it fits well, most good pet shops will help you fit it.
    He's a young springer, they need to be walking or running a lot, he's just mad to go:D
    He'll learn and become calmer.

Its not selfish reason to walk the dog, its a very thoughtful and good thing you are doing, it also helps you feel close to your mate. I'm sure the dog misses his owner too.

mymo wrote: »
    I'm sure the dog misses his owner too.

You wouldn't say that by the way he cocked his leg earlier today to the nice fresh flowers :eek: But yeh, thats part of it.

See thats the thing, i know he's just mad to go. I have places i can bring him and let him loose and he loves it. But lets be honest, i wont be able to call to their home, and take him out every walk of his life. So i'll need to get him used to it so the girls can take him out.

I'll run down my local petshop in the morning. I'll just have a look at what they have, and maybe go back with the dog later on if i decide i want what they have.

Does he forever walk on the harness or gradually ween him off it, i.e on one day and off the next once he's had a few weeks on it?

Or whats the best practice for these types harness'?

Oh, and what should i expect to pay for a decent one? My town has one pet shop and we're 30miles out of the city so may be a chance of a bit steeper here than in cork city.

Not that it matters on the price, i just dont like being overcharged.

Any brands to steer clear of with a strong dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jandm

Oh, and what should i expect to pay for a decent one? My town has one pet shop and we're 30miles out of the city so may be a chance of a bit steeper here than in cork city.

Not that it matters on the price, i just dont like being overcharged.

Any brands to steer clear of with a strong dog?

Got a SENSE-ible Dog Harness for my cocker who never stops pulling - had tried a Halti and he ate it! Works very well. Medium would fit him - they are adjustable. Paid EUR 25 as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

jandm wrote: »
    Got a SENSE-ible Dog Harness for my cocker who never stops pulling - had tried a Halti and he ate it! Works very well. Medium would fit him - they are adjustable. Paid EUR 25 as far as I remember.

+1

My mother had one for her (late) sprollie and she was a tank when she went on a walk. It transformed her. We now use the same one on our cocker and it has transformed her too, even though its slightly too big for her - when she pulls on it, she feels it and pauses & looks around to us. (We tried a Halti on her and it worked to some extent but she HATED it. She'd hide from getting it on when going for walks, she'd rub her nose along the grass while out walking and when we'd take it off her she'd run out to the garden and run around rubbing her nose on the ground for about 10 minutes, as if to get rid of the feel of it. It was making her very unhappy so we stopped using it)

You can get the SENSE-ible harness in Dog Training Ireland - I'd highly recommend it.

BTW sorry to hear about your mate.

• Advertisement

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    +1

My mother had one for her (late) sprollie and she was a tank when she went on a walk. It transformed her. We now use the same one on our cocker and it has transformed her too, even though its slightly too big for her - when she pulls on it, she feels it and pauses & looks around to us. (We tried a Halti on her and it worked to some extent but she HATED it. She'd hide from getting it on when going for walks, she'd rub her nose along the grass while out walking and when we'd take it off her she'd run out to the garden and run around rubbing her nose on the ground for about 10 minutes, as if to get rid of the feel of it. It was making her very unhappy so we stopped using it)

You can get the SENSE-ible harness in Dog Training Ireland - I'd highly recommend it.

BTW sorry to hear about your mate.

Thanks for the feedback, and i appreciate your sentiments.

The one I have is a halti- front attach harness.

As my guy is coming up to 10 now I think it is unlikely I'll ever wean him off it, but that isn't an issue for me.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6781400_use-halti-harness.html

I think I paid about €20 for mine and he has had it on since May pretty much all the time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Sorry to hear about your mate OP:(

I'm going to hijack the thread a bit here:o I want to get one of these harnesses for my miniature schnauzer. He's only 15 weeks now so would I be better off waiting til he's a bit bigger to get one that will do him when he's fuly grown too?

I went out to the local pet store this morning and got him a new 26" chain. Much strong and it's length is perfect because he cant pull away too far, yet when he walks beside me, it's loose.

I also bought a harness. They didn't have the front attach harness like i wanted, but 10 variations of the head collar and a few other harnesess akin to that of a guidedog. Just a harness but no striking positives to the pulling issue.

The one i did try though works like a collar, but with two lenghts that run under his shoulder blades. When he pulls off it tightens his chest area and he stops. Well thats the theory anyway. She only had one type, and it cost €12.95. I bought it to test out the idea, if it broke, i'd know wether or not i like the setup or if i'd go front attach.

I took it up to the dog, let him sniff,scratch and tickle it. Then put it on him. No complaints. I the attached the lead, and off he went. HE pulled as per usual for about 15ft. Then just walked. I was amazed and thought this too good to be true. I took him for a short walk, 30mins or so just to let him get used to the idea.

harness.jpg

He reacted well for our 30min walk. Didn't seem uncomfortable. Didn't try get it off. Didn't pull much.

I also tried the change direction trick. He got the hang of it after a few mins.

I'll go back up this evening to take him on a long walk. i just wanted to give him a lttle trial to see how he'd react.

Had him out for 2 straight hours. What a different animal!

I'll pick up a grooming brush mid-week and give him a good going over. He's clean, has fantastic markings and a great coat, but there is alot of loose hair. A god brush should see him right.

Any other grooming tips?

I wont be filing nails etc, i plan to take him to a professional when the weather clears up after christmas. For now his 1/2 hr walks on footpaths will do?

Am so glad you found your solution :D
    It is one of the best feelings to have that breakthrough

Am so glad you found your solution :D
    It is one of the best feelings to have that breakthrough

Yeh, and he's not even mine. Cant believe €12.50 and a tiny bit of effort solved this problem. I cna imagine the amount of people who employ prefessional help for such issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭lisao80

Did you get it in the place on the bypass Keith?? i need to get something for my fella, he is a spaniel x dalmation and strong as an ox, have tried halti and easy leader head collars and a choke chain but im still getting dragged down the road.

ps...fair play for stepping up to walk the dog,im sure himself is looking down laughing at you being dragged along :P

lisao80 wrote: »
    Did you get it in the place on the bypass Keith?? i need to get something for my fella, he is a spaniel x dalmation and strong as an ox, have tried halti and easy leader head collars and a choke chain but im still getting dragged down the road.

ps...fair play for stepping up to walk the dog,im sure himself is looking down laughing at you being dragged along :P

Yes lisa. In the potty fish. My mother has one of the front attach harnesses in the press somewhere in her house in limerick. She'll be down next week. If it fits bruno, then you can have the one i bought, though @ €12.50 even your not that tight :pac:

And yeh, he was laughing the first night i'd say, but after last nights event i shut him up again. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭lisao80

Yes lisa. In the potty fish. My mother has one of the front attach harnesses in the press somewhere in her house in limerick. She'll be down next week. If it fits bruno, then you can have the one i bought, though @ €12.50 even your not that tight :pac:

cool.. sher let me know and ill be passing plenty of times between now and xmas anyway, ill call for the tea and harness :D

• Advertisement

lisao80 wrote: »
    cool.. sher let me know and ill be passing plenty of times between now and xmas anyway, ill call for the tea and harness :D

Ah here :mad: Your gettin a free harness, you can piss off if you think your getting tea too! :P

One Springer adopted. Fantastic news for me. He's pure bred, great markings, fit as a fiddle, strong as a horse (although thats the reason we're here, trying to control it) and his temperment is awesome.

I'll have to put my Douge de bordeaux plans on hold for a bit as i dont want two new dogs at once. We'll get used to bruno first and see then.

Just decided to build his kennel myself.

I have the main bulk of the materials chosen, i'm handy enough with a mitre saw and some screws.

Just wondering on a good size. (dimensions) W x L x H ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

I have the main bulk of the materials chosen, i'm handy enough with a mitre saw and some screws.

Length - his nose to tail
    width - his shoulder height plus 6 inches
    height- his head height plus 4 inches.

worked out well for me. Keep the door as small as possible to keep him warm. mines about 1 ft square.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

If your planning on getting another dog I'd be inclined to make it big enough for both and section off a springer sized compartment which can be taken out again later.

If your planning on getting another dog I'd be inclined to make it big enough for both and section off a springer sized compartment which can be taken out again later.

Plans are on ice for the other dog. Ones plenty to be caring for at this time. Let him get used to his new surroundings etc.

Here's bruno. Adopted him in november. 14month old Springer from great breeding lines. Has unbelievablely good temperment and all his markings etc are spot on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy45knghOJo&feature=share

bruno7.jpg

bruno2.jpg

bruno3.jpg

bruno4.jpg

Still with me,

horse-dog.jpg

splash.jpg

tunnel.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Great pics. Where is that walk Keith? Always looking for new ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

fab looking dog do you know his bloodlines/pedigree

Advertisement