Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zombie Hunter Loadouts

Options
  • 23-11-2011 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭

I've searched around and can't find any thread around here about people doing Zombie Hunter loadouts. Now I know there have been some events held around this sort of thing, but I'm talking about building an entire loadout based on a zombie hunter. Now that could mean anything from modern HazMat suits and gas masks etc to running around with a Winchester Lever action rifles and machetes.

Basically my question is, has anyone done one? Or if you were doing one, what gear would you use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭ronan keane

Bandoiler of 5.56mm
    Gun Of Choice
    Big Fucking Knife
    Ripped Clothing
    Fake Blood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

auto shotgun, fire axe, molotov cocktail, health kit, pain pills

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭MonkeyGuy

More details! As in would you go in civies or military uniform etc?

MonkeyGuy wrote: »
    More details! As in would you go in civies or military uniform etc?

Sort Of Swat Look
    or something like this zombie-hunter-costume.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

Being a massive Resident Evil fan, I have a different approach to the zombie sides of things. I have two themed load outs in progress:

- STARS
    - USS

There are some guidelines available for them, but realistically you have a little bit of leeway.

As for a generic zombie apocalypse loadout...think, what would you take with to ensure your own survival. I would choose a maneuverable gun with a large capacity magazine, and would make sure all the bullets for all of my guns are cross compatible. I would probably choose the P90 and Five-SeveN combination, but the only thing not right with that, in my opinion, is that the bullet is not very common...when you would run out, it's time to switch.

I would keep the loadout light, but effective.

PS: The great thing about themed loadouts is that they tend to be best suited for CQB, and we are at an all time high in indoor sites. The Arena, Vacant, Tallaght CQB, and one in Limerick as far as I know.

• Advertisement

Inari wrote: »
    Being a massive Resident Evil fan, I have a different approach to the zombie sides of things. I have two themed load outs in progress:

- STARS
    - USS

There are some guidelines available for them, but realistically you have a little bit of leeway.

As for a generic zombie apocalypse loadout...think, what would you take with to ensure your own survival. I would choose a maneuverable gun with a large capacity magazine, and would make sure all the bullets for all of my guns are cross compatible. I would probably choose the P90 and Five-SeveN combination, but the only thing not right with that, in my opinion, is that the bullet is not very common...when you would run out, it's time to switch.

I would keep the loadout light, but effective.

PS: The great thing about themed loadouts is that they tend to be best suited for CQB, and we are at an all time high in indoor sites. The Arena, Vacant, Tallaght CQB, and one in Limerick as far as I know.
    If Period Didn't Matter I'd Probably Choose The Thompson and P226 9mm can be very common

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

2 44 magnums and a big fúck off bandolier of 44 rounds
    A shotty with no stock on my back
    Roughly 6 hand grenades
    A machete
    And an adidas track suit for good measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

Good, strong boots and thick socks. Waterproof clothing, with proper kneepads if possible, DIY kneepads if not. A belt of kitchen knives and the knife sharpener that came with them. An adjustable holster and a 9mm pistol. A drop-leg panel with medical supplies and one or two spare 9mm magazines. A MOLLE vest with all the pouches, for further 9mm magazines, food, medical supplies, rifle magazines, binoculars and anything else. A hydration pack on the back, so I don't have to stop moving if I need a drink. Decent pair of gloves that don't sacrifice grip. Radio and headset. A Steyr AUG, as they're used by our own lads, so if you kill some zombiefied Irish Defence Force blokes you can put their ammo to use. A bandana, to help prevent sweat in the eyes.

Before you ask, a friend and I spend far too much time than a sane person should plotting how we're going to survive the inevitable. :rolleyes:

Thanks for that Puding!

Guys in naming guns give an airsoft brand and that please!

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Puding!

Guys in naming guns give an airsoft brand and that please!
    I Would Use The KJW .22 Style Rifle If You Can Find It Downgraded

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭eversmann

Something like this maybe with a 'Nerf' Fire axe ? :p

walking-dead-s1e2-guts-09-550x366.jpg

Read through the Arnie's Airsoft Zombie Hunter thread. People got so caught up arguing about stupid things, there were hardly any pictures of actual loadouts! I'll have a look at the other now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

UMP. Extra mags. Something to hold them. Job done.

People tend to get majorly hung up on going over the top with knives in zombie load outs. I was asked to build a "realistic" one last year for a short film. The guy explained the story as being typically post-apocalyptic, but industry and culture have survived by having zombie "defense units" patrolling city borders. The load out was for those units.
    So what do you give a well equipped team as their primary weapon against unarmoured soft targets who tend to ignore non critical wounds? An SMG with a high calibre. Boom. Job done.

NakedDex wrote: »
    UMP. Extra mags. Something to hold them. Job done.

People tend to get majorly hung up on going over the top with knives in zombie load outs. I was asked to build a "realistic" one last year for a short film. The guy explained the story as being typically post-apocalyptic, but industry and culture have survived by having zombie "defense units" patrolling city borders. The load out was for those units.
    So what do you give a well equipped team as their primary weapon against unarmoured soft targets who tend to ignore non critical wounds? An SMG with a high calibre. Boom. Job done.

Shotgun Secondary Close Up Spread Aim For Head Can Take Out More Then One Zombie

Capitals On First Letter Of Every Word In Sentence Is Annoying... Sorry :P

Anyways, if The Zombie Survival Guide is to be believed you want a small calibre, and semi-auto so as not to waste ammo on anything but headshots.

Small calibre was only because .22 ammo is easy to come by. If you're going for the whole "survivor" route, something low velocity with plentiful ammo, like a .22, makes sense.
    High calibre, medium velocity rounds are the best choice for soft targets at short-to-medium range. UMP, in a .45 format, would be ideal for most situations. More compact than most guns, high impact power and common ammo (for America, where this all usually starts, if we're to believe virtually every zombie reference outside of 28 Days/Weeks and Horde) and large capacity.
    Similarly, 9mm SMG's, like the venerable MP5, are just as suitable for the same reason. There's an argument for them being a better option due to the slightly less powerful round being offset by other advantages like lighter and smaller ammo, a more "universal" calibre (hello pistols) and an even more common supply.

Shotguns are overrated. Slow to reload and supremely bulky ammo. Also, the zombie-meets-shotgun-then-explodes effect which drives it's popularity only happens if said zombies are particularly squishy and the operator is using (the unusual, even for the US) slug rounds.

Anything using 5.56mm is, essentially, rubbish. Low kinetic transfer makes it unlikely to be of much use unless you happen to be very good at hitting spines from 50+yards. It's also massively prone to through-and-throughs at close range, making it dangerous if you're in a group.
    7.62mm has more stopping power but still suffers (albeit a lot less) over-penetration at close ranges. If you absolutely need an assault rifle though, make it this calibre.

That detail all applies to unarmoured people, which is basically the same thing as zombies. It's why close assault teams, like SWAT, Navy boarding parties, and Bruce Willis always use larger calibre, lower velocity rounds in compact format guns.

Like I said, I had to research this for someone. This isn't obsessive zombie paranoia (that's what my crowbar is for).

.45 would be great in America alright, if you could get your hands on a KRISS it'd be pretty sweet too, although I suppose using semi-auto, the recoil effect won't come into play as much. I agree with you on shottys, even with a sawn-off it's pretty big and clumsy in comparison with other options. I think the only reason it's so popular in movies is because they're so popular with civilians in general.

The main thing I noticed from Arnie's is that there's a huge difference between zombie hunter and zompocolypse survivor. Zombie hunter could be a professional squad, trained specifically to deal with Z invasions, or the guy on the motorcyle with an entire armory hidden under his trench coat that looks cool as bejayzuz. Whereas the survivor thing would have to be more "realistic" as you can possibly be considering we're talking about a fictional (for now) enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Stone.cold

Hate to nit-pick coz that's quite cool looking (is that a sword on his back?) but shouldn't it be "shoot'em..."?

I really like the idea though! I was experimenting with jeans and leather jacket just there, it's hard not to look cool.

• Advertisement

Hate to nit-pick coz that's quite cool looking (is that a sword on his back?) but shouldn't it be "shoot'em..."?

I really like the idea though! I was experimenting with jeans and leather jacket just there, it's hard not to look cool.

well ya know what that picture has been goin around for nearly 3 yrs and your the first person to notice that well spotted

and yes thats a sword on my back

Haha! So what guns are ye packing there? I see an mp5 PDW anyways, m9 on the right? Shotty on his back, m1014 no?

Haha! So what guns are ye packing there? I see an mp5 PDW anyways, m9 on the right? Shotty on his back, m1014 no?

god it was a long time ago if memory serves me chewy had a 1911 and sniper rifle on his back cant remember what chuck was packing guns have changed over the yrs our last outing we had m4's, Raiders with tracer units etc

"Chewy" and "Chuck" gets you bonus points for your team haha! So did ye specifically pick guns around the idea of zombie hunting or just use what ye had?

"Chewy" and "Chuck" gets you bonus points for your team haha! So did ye specifically pick guns around the idea of zombie hunting or just use what ye had?

try to stick to smaller compact guns easy to move around it the dark and u can move faster when u have to mp5's are great for the loadout

People tend to get majorly hung up on going over the top with knives in zombie load outs.

Guns are all well and good, don't get me wrong. My belt of kitchen knives is because my paranoia realised that guns and ammunition won't be as easy to find as most zombie flicks and novels would have you believe.

And by the time a ravenous, blood thirsty beast with no concept of self preservation, pain or fear is within arms reach, a kitchen knife probably won't be worth much more to you than if you were to beat at its face My Little Pony and insist it has bad breath...

Now we're talking survivalist! I'm not complaining, but PERSONALLY if I was doing a zombie themed loadout, I'd want to be the zombie ass-kicker / name-taker who swoops in, saves the day and then disappears mysteriously. I don't want to have to worry about the whole aspect of surviving after the social fabric has all be disappeared, I just want to look cool and hunt me some Zs. :D

• Advertisement

And by the time a ravenous, blood thirsty beast with no concept of self preservation, pain or fear is within arms reach, a kitchen knife probably won't be worth much more to you than if you were to beat at its face My Little Pony and insist it has bad breath...

To be fair, you've still got a better chance than you do with your fists. Go for the eyes or something. Hell, even a pointy stick would be better than fists. If the apocalypse happens, unless you've got your own firearms and plenty of ammo, you'll be glad of something sharp or blunt in your hands.

Advertisement