Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snoring advise ?

Options
  • 23-11-2011 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I was just wondering if there is a way to stop snoring?

I've seen rings you can buy and some type of spray. Are these very effective?

Or has anyone any other suggestion :)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

Anyone ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 simira

consult a pulmonologist...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I found those strips you can get in the chemist quite good- you know the sticker things for the bridge of your nose? They open your airways or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 GregoryD

Hi Barr,

There are tons of both ways and products to battle snoring, but they also all treat a specific root cause which makes you snore, so if you use the wrong tool / method you could have no result at all.

First before you use anything you need to understand your snoring better.

Is your snoring nasal or it comes from the throat?
    Do you sometimes stop breathing when you sleep?

GregoryD wrote: »
    Hi Barr,

There are tons of both ways and products to battle snoring, but they also all treat a specific root cause which makes you snore, so if you use the wrong tool / method you could have no result at all.

First before you use anything you need to understand your snoring better.

Is your snoring nasal or it comes from the throat?
    Do you sometimes stop breathing when you sleep?

Hey Gregory

To answer your questions

I think the snoring comes from my throat (so I'm told :))

I never stop breathing (not that I remember anyways)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 GregoryD

Hi Barr,

Thanks for your reply.

Ok that's good, not the source is know, which means you do not need to use any kind of nasal strips or anything to do with the nose, so that category of treatments and products you can close your eyes on.

I am going to suggest several things to you from my snoring articles:

Firstly, the article Throat Snoring | Tongue Based Snoring is a general short article explaining about what that is. That's just for information.

Then, if you do not want to spend any money you can see the article How to stop snoring | Home remedies and try the different options at home such as changing positions, pillows, consumption, etc.

Then, if your snoring is mild, which means it is not extremely loud or it does not happen very often, then you can try this throat spray. See article Breathe Right Snore Relief Throat Spray REVIEW. If that works for you this is a favourable solution because you do not have to wear any devices like a mouth piece or a CPAP masks in more serious cases.

There are a lot more things apart from the above 3 articles, but I can not put all the links here, so you can read if you like on my Sleep Disorders website there are lots of articles to do with snoring.

If all of this is too much information for you then I suggest the following steps.

1. Don't buy anything yet.
    2. Try the free / natural snoring treatments in the 2nd article above.
    3. If nothing works this indicates that the snoring is more serious.

What does more serious mean?

Just so you understand snoring itself is not an illness. It is your body telling you that there is something wrong. Actually your breathing passages are getting squeezed for whatever reason (full details in my articles).

In the absolute worst case you have something called sleep apnea. Although you said that you do not stop breathing please understand that people who suffer from sleep apnea never can know if this happens to them while they sleep. Only family members, partners who sleep with you or doctors testing you at the sleep lab can observe this happening to you.

I do hope you do not have sleep apnea and you should try the basic treatments first.

The good news is 100% you can get rid of it, you just need to understand "what is the damage" and will the basic methods treat you or you need to make some lifestyle changes.

Lots of good info there :)

Advertisement