Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

joining the us marines

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Dymo

Bit off-topic,read awhile ago that the marines have the least problems recruiting wise,of all the U.S. Armed forces.

The ones with the least problems is the air force, always was and probably always will be. The Marines is the most difficult to get into but are probably respected the most.

My brother in law was a marine recruiter a couple of years ago, he absolutely hated the position. He was under huge pressure to get the numbers in and it was a lot of unsociable hours and meetings with parents. He was practically telling parents that there kids could be going to war after bootcamp.

With regard to entrance to the marines, a green card was a must, you needed that then you had to sit a written exam but that was basically 2+2 and just to check you can read names nothing too advanced. Then there was a medical and fitness exam and if you passed all them your on the bus!.

The biggest selling point is after you did your 4 years the government will pay for your university education which is really expensive in America. The area he as based in was pretty much middle america and the kids didn't have much going for them except maybe a job in a factory so his job was probably easier than guys in more richer parts of america.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Just to inform the op that sky news is reporting obamas new strategy for the us military is to cut back on the overall size of the army and Marine corps and concentrate future investment on airforce navy i.e. more ships and planes to secure air and sea domination. Not sure how much that will affect your decision but see how you go.

With the greatest of respect to our American posters, you have to take into consideration that Mr Obama's long-term 'strategies' right now in this election year are rather like the captain of the Titanic planning the next trip after Belfast-New York...

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Gooleybag

A short while ago I was in New York and I got talking to a few lads who were in the 69th Infantry Regiment. They were recruiting and they said in no uncertain circumstances will the army assist you in gaining a green car ergo you cannot enlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 theme song

anyone else on here thinking about joining the marines ive been thinking about it for ages and my minds made up my mates and my family think im nuts also has anyone gone through the recruitment process and the training thats on here

Hangedhitman, did you have any joy? I am pen pals with 2 serving USMC's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Apparently people who have prior service in non-U.S. armed forces cannot enlist in the U.S. armed forces.Can someone confirm this?

Not true, I remember a properly sourced article about a swede who had left the jaegers to join the yanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

tac foley wrote: »
    Just to inform the op that sky news is reporting obamas new strategy for the us military is to cut back on the overall size of the army and Marine corps and concentrate future investment on airforce navy i.e. more ships and planes to secure air and sea domination. Not sure how much that will affect your decision but see how you go.

With the greatest of respect to our American posters, you have to take into consideration that Mr Obama's long-term 'strategies' right now in this election year are rather like the captain of the Titanic planning the next trip after Belfast-New York...

tac
    American posters?????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Jonah42 wrote: »
    You'll be needing a green card before you even try to join.

It was a number of years ago but was in the U.S. on a temp working visa, met a couple of the army guys recruiting in a shopping mall, listened to the sell, explained that I wasn't a citizen, type of visa I had etc, he wasn't bothered, it wasn't an issue for him

just my experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Apparently people who have prior service in non-U.S. armed forces cannot enlist in the U.S. armed forces.Can someone confirm this?

I know a bloke current serving over there who spent a few years in the NZDF.

Then of course there's one half of the winning sniper pair from this year's International Sniper Competition.

So prior service in another countries military does not disqualify you from serving in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

A friend of my Dads served in the Irish Army - didn't seem to worry his local Draft Board who ' scooped ' him within months of entering the US ( long time ago mind ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I read a book at Christmas about Irish born soldiers that fought in the Vietnam war. Some of them had fought with the British Army in Malaya before joining the US armed forces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

I read a book at Christmas about Irish born soldiers that fought in the Vietnam war. Some of them had fought with the British Army in Malaya before joining the US armed forces.

Basically it was really simple back then,one tour equals five years of legal residency (required for citizenship)-provided you survive.

There didn't seem to be any uniformity with the citizenship thing. In the book one guy said he was halfway through his tour when the army realised he wasn't a US citizen so they flew him to Guam, swore him in as a citizen and sent him back to Vietnam. Another guy said he did his tour, went back to the US and worked for a few years before moving back to Meath. He never became a US citizen.

My dad had a few friends /acquaintances who were drafted when they moved to the US - some had barely set foot on American soil and none had citizenship but they still got drafted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Any news OP on a decision to join up or not?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭hangedhitman

Any news OP on a decision to join up or not?

Ive made my decision and i think im going to join i was over there about 2 weeks ago went to a recruitment office and was told id be a very suitable candidate and that if i get a green card there should be nothing else in the way other then bootcamp its now just trying to get the money together thats the problem on my end

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Ive made my decision and i think im going to join i was over there about 2 weeks ago went to a recruitment office and was told id be a very suitable candidate and that if i get a green card there should be nothing else in the way other then bootcamp its now just trying to get the money together thats the problem on my end
    How are you going to get a greencard?

I think the Green Card is your problem - getting money together is the least of your worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

Delancey wrote: »
    I think the Green Card is your problem - getting money together is the least of your worries.

You need at the VERY least along with a college degree(s) about six thousand euro.

Hangedhitman-don't bother worrying about the DV lottery,if you win it you do and if you don't you don't.

You need at the VERY least along with a college degree(s) about six thousand euro.

Hangedhitman-don't bother worrying about the DV lottery,if you win it you do and if you don't you don't.

Unless someone is seeking to join as an officer ( in which case they require US citizenship ) then a degree is not a pre-requisite .

Dunno why an aspiring recruit requires a minimum of 6,000 Euro :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭amurph0

Delancey wrote: »
    Unless someone is seeking to join as an officer ( in which case they require US citizenship ) then a degree is not a pre-requisite .

Dunno why an aspiring recruit requires a minimum of 6,000 Euro :confused:

He means you need at least that in order to get the green card, which is something you need before you can enlist.

It's not entirely necessary but your chances will be very slim without a degree, unless you have a trade that's in demand in the US.

• Advertisement

amurph0 wrote: »
    He means you need at least that in order to get the green card, which is something you need before you can enlist.

It's not entirely necessary but your chances will be very slim without a degree, unless you have a trade that's in demand in the US.

Ah , I follow you - basically those things are needed for the Green Card as opposed to being enlistment requirements. Thanks for clarifying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Without a degree/trade you have zero chance of a greencard.

With a degree/trade you have almost a zero chance of getting a greencard.

Did the recruiter tell you how hard it is to get a green card? Lots of people spend years trying to get into the US to no avail. Trying to get the money together is the least of your worries.

Advertisement