Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freight trains at Night

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Stonewolf wrote: »
    Nah, IR would never let someone else run a train on their network, it seems they don't even let the RPSI (IRs own drivers). Probably be more like Stobart paying IR to operate a consist for them.

Mind you, I have noticed some darts seem to have been tarted up a bit recently, I particularly like the red one with the white doors ...

I believe that the legal frame work to allow freight operators to do this is in place.

With reference to the RPSI, it takes a lot of time and money to train a driver, because the RPSI is volunteer based the time involved becomes even more of a factor. Couple this with the ongoing training, assessment and route knowledge required it is currently more practical (and probably more cost efficient) for the RPSI to hire IE drivers as required.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nah, IR would never let someone else run a train on their network, it seems they don't even let the RPSI (IRs own drivers). Probably be more like Stobart paying IR to operate a consist for them.

Mind you, I have noticed some darts seem to have been tarted up a bit recently, I particularly like the red one with the white doors ...

Its not Irish Rail's choice. Freight and international passenger services are open operator.

https://irishrail.ie/upload/IE_Network_Statement_2011.pdf may be interesting reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

Nah, IR would never let someone else run a train on their network

Except they do, Llyod Rail is contracted by IE to run their maintenance trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Drimnagh Road

I take it Irish Rail employees physically drive the trains?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

As others point out IÉ don't decide if a freight operator can run on the network, (there are already set track access charges as well, so in this regard IÉ couldn't price them out of the market). Before any new operator sets off the ground it would have to satisfy the RSC with a sufficient Safety Management System (SMS), which could in theory include it driving its own trains, in order to get an operating license. So far the RPSI is the only private operator to do this, though it is specifically a heritage and tourist operator. But the actual setting up of an SMS could take longer than one might think. In theory an SMS granted elsewhere in the EU would be valid but that doesn't discount the possibility of it having to be tailored to Irish requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

I take it Irish Rail employees physically drive the trains?

No. This accident report indicates that the trains are fully operated by Lloyd Rail.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    Except they do, Llyod Rail is contracted by IE to run their maintenance trains.
    Hugo Lloyd – Operations Director
    Hugo has in excess of 30 years experience of the railway as an Iarnrod Eireann employee in track maintenance

Surprise, surprise....

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Drimnagh Road

Really didn't know that. So the LLoyd drivers would have route knowledge and be familiar with all signalling systems and be subject to the same "rules of the road" as their Irish Rail counterparts.

For example, if a LLoyd driver was to have a Signal Passed at Danger (SPAD), it would be treated in the same way as a SPAD carried by an Irish Rail driver, be reported in the same way and the driver subsequently tested in the same way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Didn't know LLoyd Rail was Irish owned... interesting.
    For example, if a LLoyd driver was to have a Signal Passed at Danger (SPAD), it would be treated in the same way as a SPAD carried by an Irish Rail driver, be reported in the same way and the driver subsequently tested in the same way?

I don't see why not... the reporting procedure would definitely be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,025 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Niles wrote: »
    Didn't know LLoyd Rail was Irish owned... interesting.

I don't see why not... the reporting procedure would definitely be the same.

I know for a fact that they are required to. The only concession made is that Loyd Rail staff don't drive Irish Rail locos, just PW vehicles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

So basically Lloyd rail is just irish rail under a different name

• Registered Users Posts: 17,581 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It's a private company - that is a big difference.

Advertisement