Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attacked on the Luas today by teenagers, anything I can do about it?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Denis322

CeedoPee wrote: »
    My advice: buy on ebay small can of pepper spray. I got one for my girlfriend- lipstick size.

Yeah I was thinking about that a few months back, getting a small thing that can go on key chain for a tenner, it squirts it a good 8 or 9 feet, pity I didn't get it :/
    And I know there's gonna be a fair few people saying that it's illegal and what not, and chances are I doubt I even would have been able to use it in that situation, but it gives peace of mind when you're going around town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

My advice: buy on ebay small can of pepper spray. I got one for my girlfriend- lipstick size.

Victor! Where are you now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

n97 mini wrote: »
    Can you provide a link to the Statute Book to back that up? I have searched and can't find a reference to pepper spray.

Yes please.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

Denis322 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, I'm fine now my nose is just a bit sore. As you can imagine I don't really want to go talking to my parents about it as they'll be worried about me(as every parent would) and probably wouldn't want me going into town. I've emailed info@luas.ie reporting the assault so hoepfully they'll get back to me I don't know if that's the right email or not, but I was wondering if there's any way of reporting it to the gardai without going to the station? Although I suppose I'd probably need to go to the station for the complaint to be taken seriously...

Go to the Guards and tell your parents about it. If you don't it will keep happening it might even happen to one of your friends again. You need to get it sorted otherwise your saying to them scumbags its ok I wont report it so go on doing it. yes you will need to go to station. They will take report from you and your details, your parents may have to go with you as I think your not classed as an adult cause your 16. Would be different story if 18 but you do need to report it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 CeedoPee

Then he/she would be breaking the law. I think it might be illegal to carry pepper spray afaik.

Another course of action OP would be to claim for personal injury by putting a claim through the Injuries Board, and inform Veolia of this, they will be sure to contact you quickly then, however if you are under 18 you will need one of your parents to do this on your behalf.

Tell your parents what happened though OP. Don't let them away with it.

Yes it is illigal, but i prefere her to be fined then raped!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭RichieD

She will be more than fined, jail time is a possibilty for carrying that, as the others stated it classiied as a firearm AFAIK.

I had a friend in a similar situation before after he got attacked on the street.

He had access to it but i talked him out of carrying it.

Seriously its better taking a couple of punches than ending up in Mountjoy.

@all - pepperspray discussion ends here. Carrying/using is illegal, and condoning illegal activity is against the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭RichieD

-Chris- wrote: »
    @all - pepperspray discussion ends here. Carrying/using is illegal, and condoning illegal activity is against the rules.

But wharrabout the bankers? They should all be in jail for ruining this country instead of locking up good citizens who just want to protect themselves.

lol sorry i just had to, pls no ban :o

I'll think about it :mad:

:P:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 CeedoPee

RichieD wrote: »

She will be more than fined, jail time is a possibilty for carrying that, as the others stated it classiied as a firearm AFAIK.

I had a friend in a similar situation before after he got attacked on the street.

He had access to it but i talked him out of carrying it.

Seriously its better taking a couple of punches than ending up in Mountjoy.

I have to disagree with You. I can survive hit in the face- most people can. But what about knife in the stomach?? And as i said before about rape- easy answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mikros

n97 mini wrote: »
    Can you provide a link to the Statute Book to back that up? I have searched and can't find a reference to pepper spray.

Mods, apologies for dragging up the pepper spray, but just to clarify the relevant sections of legislation that says pepper spray is illegal. I should have said weapon as opposed to firearm as below:

Section 1 of the Firearms Act 1925 (as amended) provides the definition:

"the expression “prohibited weapon” means and includes any weapon of whatever description designed for the discharge of any noxious liquid, noxious gas, or other noxious thing, and also any ammunition (whether for any such weapon as aforesaid or for any other weapon) which contains or is designed or adapted to contain any noxious liquid, noxious gas, or other noxious thing;"

Section 14 provides the offence

"14.—(1) It shall not be lawful for any person without the authority of the Minister for Defence to manufacture, sell, purchase, hire, let on hire, use, or carry, or to have in his possession, custody, or control, or knowingly to have on his premises any prohibited weapon as defined in this Act."

Don't want to go off topic anymore.

OK, issue clarified. Conversation stops here...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Hey Denis,
    hope you're feeling better after what happened. The other posters have said pretty much all that needs to be said. It saddens me deeply to see Ireland descend even further into the pit of savagery.

Where were the "parents" of this raggle taggle bunch I wonder? IMO parents should be jailed for assault when there children commit such acts and the children removed from them and fostered. We have to break the cycle of scumbags rearing scumbags somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Denis322

Just thought I'd put up an update :S
    Emailed info@luas.ie on Saturday night. I wasn't expecting a reply from the over the weekend but I at least expected one on Monday. No reply so I emailed them back yesterday and still no reply. Am I emailing the wrong address cause it's the only one on the site I can find?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

there's usually no point emailing a general email box like that, ring them in future.
    emailing them is like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EBfxjSFAxQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

Denis322 wrote: »
    Just thought I'd put up an update :S
    Emailed info@luas.ie on Saturday night. I wasn't expecting a reply from the over the weekend but I at least expected one on Monday. No reply so I emailed them back yesterday and still no reply. Am I emailing the wrong address cause it's the only one on the site I can find?

That is the only email. They dont have one setup "incase someone gets mugged or beaten up at one of the stops". You need to call their Luas Customer Care: 1800 300 604 and report it to them and the guards. Im guessing you didn't report it to the Guards?

Have you gone to the Gardai yet?

If not, why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Denis322 I am starting to think you don't want your parents to know you were out at that time on the Luas? but even if you were grounded and got out the window your parents should not be too concerned with that but more concerned in your wellbing and getting some justice for you.

Advertisement