Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Metal Festival

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

cnk38 wrote: »
    could nt agree more.we re paying a small fortune for tickets in this country.surely one of the promoters here should be able to bring something like sonisphere to the phoenix park or marley park.i ve gone to sweden the last two years for sonisphere and its only 40,000 people- easily managed and well run.i know the ticket price will be more expensive here either way bit thats an insurance issue apparently.i think the promoters here are too afraid to get behind metal unless its its a metallica or maiden etc

Even during the good years here a metal festival would be doing well to shift 40,000 tickets and now, they wouldn't have a chance - even with a band like Metallica.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

cnk38 wrote: »
    could nt agree more.we re paying a small fortune for tickets in this country.surely one of the promoters here should be able to bring something like sonisphere to the phoenix park or marley park.i ve gone to sweden the last two years for sonisphere and its only 40,000 people- easily managed and well run.i know the ticket price will be more expensive here either way bit thats an insurance issue apparently.i think the promoters here are too afraid to get behind metal unless its its a metallica or maiden etc

That's ridiculous! What was the last gig you were at, as a matter of interest? :rolleyes:

People who're blaming promotors for not having bigger bands over here clearly haven't been bothering their arses to attend any gigs here... big or small. It's simply not feasible.
    Quit complaining about the lack of gigs in Ireland, and go and attend the ones that are already held here! Then you would understand why it's not possible to run big events here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

No one's going to put the money up to fund a festival and then have 12,000 out of 30,000 tickets sold

Fair point, there's a lots of festivals in Eastern Europe though, one in particular in Slovenia (Machine Head have just been confirmed as the head liner) in which it's held beside 2 beaches and you can go surfing after having listened to the bands or what not....surely given the beauty of places like Galway and Cork and Waterford we can have some kind of festival on the coast...maybe a festival overlooking the Atlantic Ocean in the West of Ireland....come for the music, stay for the beauty etc...

Shannon and Knock Airports are more than welcome equipped to deal with air traffic coming in and we also have a good rail network.....

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Aeternitas

If we just get Day of Darkness back it'd be great.

Until then I hope Winterfest in Cork at the Cruiscín still goes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Jemmaa

Aeternitas wrote: »
    If we just get Day of Darkness back it'd be great.

Day of Darkness - what a lovely name for the festival!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_Darkness

http://www.metalireland.com/2008/07/20/day-of-darkness-2008/

• Advertisement

Jemmaa wrote: »

Well It was the original name for the festival if I remember right! Pardon my ignorance if it was on this year. (Don't think it was though)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Winterfest hasn't been on for a while now and it doesn't look like it is coming back, unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Jemmaa

Well It was the original name for the festival if I remember right! Pardon my ignorance if it was on this year. (Don't think it was though)

I think you're right: The festival was neither held in 2009 nor in 2010
    Day of Darkness is the original name of Ireland's D.O.D. Festival. It happens annually in Ballylinan since 2002 as a metal music festival.
    The 2002 line-up was headlined by Primordial and was enough of a success to be run for a second year in 2003. Numbers however dwindled that year and a number of changes were implemented before the festival's third running in 2004. The addition of international bands Dismember and Ancient Rites among other factors led to an increased attendance that year.
    In 2005, the festival was moved to the first week in July and has been held on the same weekend each year since. In 2006 a second day was added to the festival and camping tickets were introduced for the first time.
    The festival is easily Ireland's largest independently run heavy metal festival hosting more bands, attracting more fans and being the only Irish metal festival to include its own campsite.
    The festival was neither held in 2009 nor in 2010.

What about Siege of Limerick?

http://irish-metal.blogspot.com/2011/04/metal-after-mass-vol2.html
    It's almost the Easter Bank Holiday Weekend, which means it's time for the Irish Metal Hoards to lay siege on Limerick City. This years 'SIEGE OF LIMERICK' is the fifth and is taking place on Easter Sunday, 24th April 2011, in the Stables on Limerick University campus. Organised by the good folks at BAD REP and LIMEROCK, the 'SIEGE OF LIMERICK' takes place twice a year in Limerick over the Easter and October Bank Holiday weekends.

This years line-up includes some of the best Irish metal bands doing the rounds today...

"Acrid Nebula, Brains, Brigantia, Castero, Darkest Era, dark_matter, Dead Label, Five Will Die, Nihilo(Switzerland), Only Fumes & Corpses, Overoth, People Of The Monolith, Refraction, Shardborne, Slave Zero, Steel Tormentor, Three Hour Ceasefire, Twisted Mass, Twisted Wrath, Two Tales Of Woe, Vile Regression, Warpath, Wound Upon Wound, Xenocide, Zealot Cult"

And best of all... "IT'S COMPLETELY FREE"

So get your hoops to LIMROCK City this Easter Sunday for an almighty dose of Irish Metal Mayhem. And to whet your appetites, here's a BAD REP / LIMROCK compilation CD, Metal After Mass Vol.2, featuring bands that have taken part in previous SIEGE's.

Siege of Limerick is good but it's nothing on DoD.

DoD was a ''proper'' festival. I really hope it comes back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Fair point, there's a lots of festivals in Eastern Europe though, one in particular in Slovenia (Machine Head have just been confirmed as the head liner) in which it's held beside 2 beaches and you can go surfing after having listened to the bands or what not....surely given the beauty of places like Galway and Cork and Waterford we can have some kind of festival on the coast...maybe a festival overlooking the Atlantic Ocean in the West of Ireland....come for the music, stay for the beauty etc...

Shannon and Knock Airports are more than welcome equipped to deal with air traffic coming in and we also have a good rail network.....

Now this sounds like my kinda thing. Maybe try and get a rock/metal tent at SeaSessions next summer maybe??

frAg

• Advertisement

Winterfest hasn't been on for a while now and it doesn't look like it is coming back, unfortunately.

Fecking hell. That's a real shame :(

We're definitely not a hugely Metal country.

Tell you what. If I win the EuroMillions I'll fund a festival.

I promise!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Chikablam

I think before a festival can be organized, we first need some actual gigs. Most metal acts just skip Ireland completely

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Fair point, there's a lots of festivals in Eastern Europe though, one in particular in Slovenia (Machine Head have just been confirmed as the head liner) in which it's held beside 2 beaches and you can go surfing

Metalkamp? I went a few years ago despite not liking 95% of the bill and it was great craic.

Chikablam wrote: »
    I think before a festival can be organized, we first need some actual gigs. Most metal acts just skip Ireland completely

I have to disagree with that. DME (Dublin Metal Events) bring fantastic acts over.

Advertisement