Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fear of Dentists and a BIG cavity

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Its bad news guys, the tooth needs extraction, and I have 11 other fillings to get. I'm devastated and furious with myself.

Not great OP but it could be one filling and 11 extractions... Don't be put off, get your treatment in stages but most importantly you need to address the cause of this need for treatment... there must be some regular sugar in your diet that is causing all this. Even if you got the best fillings in the world, if you continue with the same diet- you will get decay around the fillings too....

Good luck,
    OS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Remember you can always replace the teeth that need to be removed once your decay issues are sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I got one of the fillings today and have made an appointment for next week for another.

The issue with the extraction is its my front right incisor, so I will be extremely self conscious about it. And replacment is very expensive unless I get dentures which at 20 I really don't want. As a student I really don't know what to do. :(

Ask about a temporary resin bonded bridge....will buy you some time and is not a nasty denture.

Ask about a temporary resin bonded bridge....will buy you some time and is not a nasty denture.

We did talk about a bridge, I think it will cost around €800 where as the implant will cost around €1500, I could probably get the €800 together though I have some savings but I am waiting for my college grant to come through. Would the social welfare be anyway inclined to help me out?

Also how long could I expect a bridge to last?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Shhh

Hello All,

I have lurked here for a while now.. I've pm'd a couple of you for advice / recommendations which you have kindly supplied. I am delighted to announce I have made my first dentist appointment in probably 13 years for tomorrow at 8am. I have a strong suspicion I will be getting to know my dentist very very well and will probably be paying for his next car!

Thanks Bearcat for your note and encouragement, thanks Saaron for the recommendations!

Wish me luck!

Shhh......

apologies i should have started a new thread rather than hijacking this one.. mea culpa..

Good on you Shhh, overcoming fears is not easy but is rewarding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

Shhh, you have to report back. I think dentists today are way more sympathetic now to patients.

Besta luck & merry Xmas......you 'll be grand.

Hi,

OP here just thought I would update the thread, I went to another dentist for a second opinion as I have been in severe pain with the tooth the last detist filled. We are concentrating on the one I am in pain with for now, looking at a root canal. He said my teeth are actually fine apart from the one with cavity. A couple of fillings and I should be fine.

I am looking at a possible root canal for the filled one and the one with the cavity, he wants to try filling and see how it goes. At the most he said it will have to crowned. I very happy, anyway the moral of the story is get a second opinion!

Hi,

OP here just thought I would update the thread, I went to another dentist for a second opinion as I have been in severe pain with the tooth the last detist filled. We are concentrating on the one I am in pain with for now, looking at a root canal. He said my teeth are actually fine apart from the one with cavity. A couple of fillings and I should be fine.

I am looking at a possible root canal for the filled one and the one with the cavity, he wants to try filling and see how it goes. At the most he said it will have to crowned. I very happy, anyway the moral of the story is get a second opinion!

Or a third opinion??
    What makes you think that the second opinion was more accurate than the first?

• Advertisement

Hi,

Or a third opinion??

Well I wasn't very happy with the first dentis, he literally just sat there totting up how much everything would cost, he wasn't interested in answering any of my questions, wasn't willing to look at other options, just had a treatment plan in his head and that was that, yet he wouldn't explain why other treatment plans wouldn't be suitable.

This fella spent a good bit of time with me even though it was for an emergency appointment. He answered all my questions.

Hi,

Or a third opinion??

Well I wasn't very happy with the first dentis, he literally just sat there totting up how much everything would cost, he wasn't interested in answering any of my questions, wasn't willing to look at other options, just had a treatment plan in his head and that was that, yet he wouldn't explain why other treatment plans wouldn't be suitable.

This fella spent a good bit of time with me even though it was for an emergency appointment. He answered all my questions.

Grand but just be careful that you don't spend all your money on one tooth while other problems go untreated...

Hi,

Or a third opinion??

Grand but just be careful that you don't spend all your money on one tooth while other problems go untreated...

Thank you for the advice. I know my dental issues are my own fault, I have always had good hygiene but of course that alone will not stop issues from cropping up. I hadnt been to a dentist in 10 years when I first posted, now I have been a number of times In 1 year. I will be getting all of my issues fixed and plan on getting 6 monthly check ups done once all of my issues have been sorted. I will never allow a phobia to rule over my practical thinking again.

Advertisement