Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 Offered me a download without telling..

Options
  • 19-11-2011 12:08am
    Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭

me what it was and thinking it might be an upgrade i accepted only to find i had downloaded the O2 internet.I searched for a change of mind spot...none and to uninstall it is quite a complex process. So i went into O2 in the City Centre and got it done.20 minutes of staff time it cost them and it won't happen again they can be certain of that...i'll be moving.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭optimus1

What did it offer you?
    Was it handset settings for internet/MMS?
    If so this is automatic when your sim goes into a phone that doesnt have O2 settings on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭kirving

Sounds like you were sent a a file with internet settings, something which every modern phone should have. Not worth switching over to be honest

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Sounds like you were sent a a file with internet settings, something which every modern phone should have. Not worth switching over to be honest

Why should every modern phone have internet settings? I've had problems with covert agents before and i unmasked one of them.Is this another visit.Who are you to tell me what my phone should have????? I ALREADY have the Internet on another phone and at home.

optimus1 wrote: »
    What did it offer you?
    Was it handset settings for internet/MMS?
    If so this is automatic when your sim goes into a phone that doesnt have O2 settings on it.

I don't want it and i don't have to have it and offering it to me without telling me what it was is a very SLY way of treating customers. AND then not being given any period to ponder the acceptance of a purchase is very very dishonest.And having the INconvenience of having to go into Town to have it removed.How many people has this happened to???????Children get this problem?What an outfit to work for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Your particular preference is a little bit more niche than it used to be, tbh. Operators implement these SMS systems so that they can spend less time dealing with fiddly settings, I assume. What they're free to do instead is up to your imagination.
    me what it was and thinking it might be an upgrade i accepted only to find i had downloaded the O2 internet.
    So I decided to go through the process of getting APN settings from the website. I received three messages in quick enough succession that I wasn't able to accept anything until they were finished. Of course, you may not have had the same experience.

First message:
    Hi, you'll shortly receive settings to allow you to easily access O2's great services. Please accept for your settings to be updated.From O2.
    Kind of vague, you may have a point.

Second message:
    Select 'Save' from 'Options' to configure all settings.

Access points:
    O2 Streaming
    O2 MMS
    O2 Internet

Multim. access pts:
    O2 MMS
    Web Settings:
    O2 Streaming
    In this case, you were told exactly what was going onto your phone. Bold emphasis for what escaped your notice.

Third message:
    Hi, if you accepted the settings we sent, you should be able to access the internet + send picture messages. Any problems, see o2.ie/forum for help.
    From 02.
    Seems to be exactly what's on the tin. They even said "if".
    paddyandy wrote: »
    I don't want it and i don't have to have it and offering it to me without telling me what it was is a very SLY way of treating customers.
    If you didn't want them, you shouldn't have accepted the settings without reading them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

in all fairness to phone companies, they probably operate under the assumption that a customer wants to be able to use the functions their handset is capable of, given the customer picked that particular handset for a reason. Therefore, enabling the functions automatically would be the obvious thing to do in order to save the majority of customers having to ring them to enable said functions.

If i were told what exactly was going on to my phone would i have accepted? They know how to shunt vague questions in tiny font on to a small spaces in quick succession to customers who could be busy and not have time.They know very well the psychology involved.They have very highly trained people on every angle including legal ones.They rent the most expensive property all over the world on the proceeds of taking money from ordinary people including children and old people.Scoundrels.

dr ro wrote: »
    in all fairness to phone companies, they probably operate under the assumption that a customer wants to be able to use the functions their handset is capable of, given the customer picked that particular handset for a reason. Therefore, enabling the functions automatically would be the obvious thing to do in order to save the majority of customers having to ring them to enable said functions.

That facility LEAKS credit whether used or not .I dealt with it on another thread.

I ALREADY have the Internet on another phone

Then you're already aware of this issue. If you feel the need to complain, take it up with O2. Again. More than likely, they'll tell you the same stuff everyone else has been saying here.

I doubt that O2 (in your case) have more than one procedure for giving SMS settings. So I replicated that process myself, and you seemed to ignore it. Your claims about being misled about what was going on your phone are somewhat dishonest IMO, as I don't think you read the messages. I posted them up for you, and they were ignored.

So I'm attaching screenshots from a spare Nokia N73 I did it from. Looking at these screenshots, the text size is perfectly fine.

181865.jpg
    181866.jpg
    181867.jpg
    They know how to shunt vague questions in tiny font

Most phones have the facility to increase text size. I suggest you use it.

I did not get any of the above probably because it's an "old" phone but they did'nt care and they probably knew.I have a number of phones.Throw the blame back at the Customer i believe you are a covert agent from o2 ....who else would go to the trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Do you also have several copies of Catcher in the Rye?

You said you were offered a download from O2 which gave you APN settings. AFAIK, the SMS method is one of the few ways to get such settings from a "download". You have been very vague about what this download has been. What was the download, exactly?

As I said you seem to have other phones with this ability, so I assumed (wrongly, AFAIK) that you were aware of the general issues surrounding this. If you buy a network-branded subsidised phone, you will have MMS and internet settings entered out-of-the-box as part of the branding.

My original degree was in Mobile Communications & Electronics, so it makes sense to keep up with topics in this field.

I am not a covert agent from O2. If you look through my own threads, you'll see I've been waiting for a fortnight for news about a firmware update for my own phone. Had I such a connection with O2, would I have even had to ask on a public forum?

I have absolutely no connection with O2.

I've tried to help and all you can do is have a paranoid rant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

I did not get any of the above probably because it's an "old" phone but they did'nt care and they probably knew.I have a number of phones.Throw the blame back at the Customer i believe you are a covert agent from o2 ....who else would go to the trouble.
    You said it yourself - YOU didn't know what O2 were offering you yet YOU chose to download it anyway. What if it was malicious?

Once you put a SIM card into a different phone it will detect it and automatically send out the internet configuration for the handset - this is not only O2 who do this either btw...

Turn Mobile Data Off or get customer service to disable data on your account then it definitely can't connect to the net over the mobile network ever again (which I think was suggested to you when you previously went off on a big hoo-haa at O2 because you didn't realise your phone was connecting to the internet and O2 were charging you for it).

And no, I don't work for O2 (although I didn't work for O2 the last time either but that didn't stop you).

Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Freaking car crash of a thread. Full marks for EarthlyPangaea for going to the effort of trying to explain it all to you.

Shame you can't be bothered listening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

OP, you learned a lesson. Don't download stuff if you don't know what it is. The o2 phishing thing is made for you

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

Give the phone to one of the grown-ups, they'll sort it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Note. If you change O2 sims in a phone. The first time its turned on you'll be sent these settings/SMS. I was swapping sims the other day to copy numbers and such, and everytime I did it, I got these 3 txts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

With O2 and their somewhat dodgy business practices, ie no caps on data, heavy overage charges, low data caps then one should be paranoid!
    I disable internet settings on non smartphones as they can spend your months credit in a few days and for nothing..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

When I used to leave the country I changed my APN to "feckoff" in the Airport before I left.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

lomb wrote: »
    With O2 and their somewhat dodgy business practices, ie no caps on data, heavy overage charges, low data caps then one should be paranoid!
    I disable internet settings on non smartphones as they can spend your months credit in a few days and for nothing..

+1 I do the same.

I wonder if some of the posters here are ex frontline or part-time staff with O2 on a retainer.Because they decend on Customers who can successfully articulate a complaint....Always remember with O2 Paronoia is the default attitude to have.If your attitude is trusting the nice people there ....you'll pay...and pay....and pay............

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Tin foil hat time!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

As far as im aware you have the option to decline these settings. So you clicked on yes or intall at your own will...

Dont see the deal?

paddyandy, I am rapidly losing my patience with your paranoia and selective reading.

You claim not to have received (or accepted) the text messages, but you still got internet settings. Did the settings just appear by themselves? Between manual input, operator branding and configuration messages I simply do not know how these settings got on your phone. You (or anyone else) are still free to correct me, certainly.

But you are really vague on what the "download" was. So I will ask you again - what was the download, if it wasn't one of the three items above?

By your own admission you didn't check what the "download" was, but accepted it anyways. On any connected device this is a shockingly irresponsible thing to do, as was pointed out earlier. You've completely ignored that bit of advice, as far as I can see.

As was also pointed out earlier, most networks do this. Dump your mobile, or get something like a Nokia 1616. No data capability whatsoever, and they're dirt cheap. You also neglected to mention what the "old" phone is. Make and model number, please? My spare N73 isn't exactly a spring chicken either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Crikey, you must have patience to throw away;). The OP has done nothing but kow tow everyone's opinion but his own:eek: Not accepting that he was given the option to accept the settings, which every network gives, is simply incredulous.:(.

Always check my posts first before comment they were brief and concise .Try my grammar or punctuation for faults others do...you are sure to find something.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭minion35

I wonder if some of the posters here are ex frontline or part-time staff with O2 on a retainer.Because they decend on Customers who can successfully articulate a complaint....Always remember with O2 Paronoia is the default attitude to have.If your attitude is trusting the nice people there ....you'll pay...and pay....and pay............
    :mad:

paddyandy: You seem to be under the impression that your phone network is out to get you and is undertaking in some elaborate planning when it comes to get your information through elaborate means. If you believe that people are covert agents may I please ask you to stop using your phone and get off the internet and please get the help you require. EarthlyPangaea has been very patient when it comes to trying to help you with this problem so please take heed and listen to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

unlike you so. the tinfoil hat conspiracies are funny reading though, keep em coming.

really though, out your sim into a phone on a different network and it will send you the settings, cos people generally like to have the full use of their phone, and its cheaper than having to ring care and get manual settings sent and be dicking around with apn's and proxy servers and the like. its a simple cost saving measure for both the network and time saving measure for the customer, if you dont like the look of something dont agree to download it, simple as.

• Advertisement

I don't change anything.Read all my posts FIRST before putting a slant on what i said.Some of you do it very badly.

Advertisement