Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightwish - Imaginaerum

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

In answer to Malice's question, nothing specific I can remember, like I said I don't dig much on operatic metal. What I will do is do some research and have a proper listen for an informed opinion. Ya know I dig the Birthday Massacre, and not saying all 'gothic' rock music is similar, but from that direction is there any tunes that would give the band more of a chance from that point of view?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

viadah wrote: »
    In answer to Malice's question, nothing specific I can remember, like I said I don't dig much on operatic metal. What I will do is do some research and have a proper listen for an informed opinion. Ya know I dig the Birthday Massacre, and not saying all 'gothic' rock music is similar, but from that direction is there any tunes that would give the band more of a chance from that point of view?

'Opera metal' is some stupid description they're always given because their former vocalist was a classically trained singer. Their first release (Angels Fall First) was a really folk sounding album in some places with a metallic tinge, then they released Oceanborn and Wishmaster which are just purely power metal albums through and through. When they got around to releasing Century Child, that's where their symphonic/gothic elements started to shine through, and when Once was released it was a full on symphonic metal record and probably one of their best ever releases with tracks like The Siren, Ghost Love Score, Creek Mary's Blood (probably the only heavy metal track in existence with Native American influences) and Planet Hell.

After Once was released Tarja got the boot and they brought in Anette who's very different to how Tarja performed so any association with operatic elements quickly disappeared with the release of Dark Passion Play, which is just an excellent symphonic metal record, Imaginaerum probably being a more refined version of this.

Advertisement