Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts App for Android

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Sorry to be dragging up an old thread but I currently have this problem aswell.

Recently updated the firmware on my Samsung Galaxy Mini. After I noticed several apps had been installed (as far as I know without my consent). These include adverts.ie, entertainment.ie, daft.ie etc.

I've tried removing them the normal way - settings - apps - manage apps - and uninstall but none of the apps in question have an uninstall option.

I've been advised to root my device but to be honest I don't really see why I should have to do this.

It's frustrating that these apps were but on my phone without my permission but even more frustrating is the fact that I can't even delete them..

Does anyone have any solutions to this please?

Thanks

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Eod100 wrote: »
    Sorry to be dragging up an old thread but I currently have this problem aswell.

Recently updated the firmware on my Samsung Galaxy Mini. After I noticed several apps had been installed (as far as I know without my consent). These include adverts.ie, entertainment.ie, daft.ie etc.

I've tried removing them the normal way - settings - apps - manage apps - and uninstall but none of the apps in question have an uninstall option.

I've been advised to root my device but to be honest I don't really see why I should have to do this.

It's frustrating that these apps were but on my phone without my permission but even more frustrating is the fact that I can't even delete them..

Does anyone have any solutions to this please?

Thanks

What firmware are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rokkitgurl

I just took my phone back to meteor and had them deal with it... My phone was actually broken and had to be replaced as the apps actually caused my phone to overheat... I just made it a point to never download those apps when I got a new phone...

Sully wrote: »
    What firmware are you using?

It's called PDA: KS9 / PHONE: KS2 / CSC:KQ6 (MET) .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

It's called PDA: KS9 / PHONE: KS2 / CSC:KQ6 (MET) .

Just want to be sure can you go to Settings -> About and under "Android Version" tell me what it shows?

• Advertisement

Just want to be sure can you go to Settings -> About and under "Android Version" tell me what it shows?

It says 2.3.5

It says 2.3.5

You need to be running a later version of the Android OS to be able to remove/disable apps like the Adverts one. Android 4 (Ice Cream Sandwidch) brought this feature in.

The Gingerbread update saw these applications installed.

Unfortunately, Samsung have not (and at this stage, its unlikely they will) release that update for your phone. Therefore, the only option is indeed to root it to something else (I think someone made 4.0 for this phone, but again, its not official).

You need to be running a later version of the Android OS to be able to remove/disable apps like the Adverts one. Android 4 (Ice Cream Sandwidch) brought this feature in.

The Gingerbread update saw these applications installed.

Unfortunately, Samsung have not (and at this stage, its unlikely they will) release that update for your phone. Therefore, the only option is indeed to root it to something else (I think someone made 4.0 for this phone, but again, its not official).

Thanks for that.

Does it make any difference that I'm able to uninstall other apps on my phone? Just not the ones such as adverts.ie etc..

Thanks for that.

Does it make any difference that I'm able to uninstall other apps on my phone? Just not the ones such as adverts.ie etc..

You could never remove the app until the Android 4 update. Even that update doesn't allow *all* apps, just certain ones (more than before). Some are "Disable Only".

I have found though that its a case of restoring an app to default/removing updates before being allowed to disable/completely remove the app.

But no, ICS was designed to also allow all the Digital Media apps be removed. There was a lot of criticism at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Dav wrote: »
    So here's what's happened. A deal was made by Distilled Media (that's the name of the group of companies that includes Daft, Boards, Adverts and TheJournal) with Samsung to push our group's apps out as a part of their update. This includes the apps for BoardsDeals, Adverts, Daft and TheJournal.

The BoardsDeals app pops a notification when a deal goes live, but this can be disabled (I have just tested this to confirm). Press the Menu Button when in the app, choose More and then there's a tick-box to "Receive deal alert notification".

All the Mobile Operators except Three required that people should be able to remove any app installed as a part of this update, so anyone using Vodafone, O2, Meteor or eMobile should be able to remove them (I don't even know if all those Operators carry Samsung Android phones). Why Three decided not to allow people the ability to remove the apps I don't know, but maybe they can answer that on their Talk To Forum. I'm trying to get some more information on it myself. If you're using one of the other Operators and can't remove these apps, can you please let me know and I'll do my best to get more information.

I'm chasing this up with the people involved in the office folks and for what it's worth, I'm really sorry that this has happened. I would never have give this a thumbs up if anyone had consulted with me, but the first I heard of it was the PM I got from Zaph this morning telling me about his experience with it. It's rare that something like this doesn't get communicated internally before going live, so I'm going to do my damnedest to make sure it doesn't happen again.

so what was the outcome ? still have these on my phone and cant remove them even your own boards deals which doesn't trade anymore

• Advertisement
Advertisement