Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

site wide census for what?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

What about the questions,i did take it seriously up until it asked what computer you had and one of the options was Atari Jaguar.

Oh come on, even I answered Atari Jaguar, I suspect most boards members would. It was pretty much a necessity to have that answer on that question given this is a Boards census.

There's a massive difference between an obvious in-joke answer to one question (which will probably be completely disregarded in statistical analysis) and deliberately providing false information over the entire survey. What's the point in the latter, seriously? It's pretty much breaking Boards' #1 rule tbh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

That's incredibly poor form. Fill it out properly or just don't fill it out, you have achieved absolutely nothing by bullshítting answers except potentially skewing the results with inaccuracies - go you.
    I filled out anything that could be used to improve this site accurately.

I fail to see how stuff like the following is relevant to people using the site:

What make of phone do you have?
    How much is your phone bill every month?
    How much do you spend on groceries every week?
    Do you you use travel agents to book your holiday?

The previous census asked a lot of detailed questions about the site, its usability, its look and feel and the results were used to focus where improvements were needed.
    The least they could have done was to ask the same questions again to see if any of their efforts worked.

That survey was pure spam with a boards.ie logo splashed on the top - not a good way to entice a casual visitor to sign up either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Yes, it would have a normal person sitebanned if they stood to gain financially from it. But this is boards as a whole that stands to gain, I don't understand how that's a bad thing. And a longtime user can post a survey if they have a valid reason and mod permission of the forums they want to ask. I completed at least 4 thesis student surveys this year on this site.
    As I said in my previous post, they could at least have asked questions that would enable them to make improvements - or see if their efforts had improved anything since the last census.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Steve wrote: »
    What make of phone do you have?

Should Boards put more money/development effort into iPhone app or an Android app. Or would that be a waste considering boards users are still hanging with Nokia and co on WAP or using Touch.
    How much is your phone bill every month?

Are you a mobile phone power user? Are there a lot of mobile phone power users browsing boards? Again, see above.
    How much do you spend on groceries every week?

Guessing Boardsdeals related (see below)
    Do you you use travel agents to book your holiday?

BoardsDeals, which I guess is a part of Boards offers plenty of little mini-breaks. Maybe they're looking to branch out a bit from domestic holiday offerings and want to see if there's a market for it. Any increase in revenue is likely to make things happen on Boards (i.e. faster development for new features).

In the first two questions at the very least, your answers could have been used to improve boards and usability of boards.

Advertisement