Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

off lead or not?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

The other dog could have been fearful, not good with dogs, or even just arthritic or frail. There are lots of reasons you'd want to avoid having an encounter with a bouncy puppy. They of course shouldn't have kicked the dog, but they may have been panicking or just annoyed at the pup.

- Fond memories of having to keep an eagle eye on my enthusiastically friendly labrador in case she flattened someone. :D She was the cause of some of this kind of stuff: http://www.flyingdogpress.com/content/view/42/97/

Well done on the improvement, sounds like you're doing great work! I haven't done it myself but some trainers swear by fasting the dog for a day before you bring it out, so that it's focused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

ppink wrote: »
    I have not read all the posts (sorry) but I had never heard of KB's having bad recall. We had one and his recall was excellent, so it can be done:). our KB also LOVED water and was a great swimmer. the excitement was jumping in getting the toy and then tearing off with you after him....the solution was to have 2 toys! when he/she comes out with one grab their attention with the other one. we use those floating kongs now and find them great. they are expensive though so you would want to be sure she/he will get it.:D

I hate talking about a dog I have not seen a picture of......(*hint:P)

I had a kerry blue cross that had terrible recall - when I called her back she would look all around for the reason I was calling her. Then you could see her making a decision - was the biscuit worth it? 50% of the time it wasn't...
    I had to make a big effort to take her places and at times when there wouldn't be people around - eg beaches at 7am when it was raining. She still got me into trouble occasionally.... but it made for wonderful memories:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

planetX wrote: »
    I had a kerry blue cross that had terrible recall - when I called her back she would look all around for the reason I was calling her. Then you could see her making a decision - was the biscuit worth it? 50% of the time it wasn't...
    I had to make a big effort to take her places and at times when there wouldn't be people around - eg beaches at 7am when it was raining. She still got me into trouble occasionally.... but it made for wonderful memories:D

This made me smile :D I swear she looks at me sometimes like she's thinking "yeah right like I'm that stupid:rolleyes: "

To update, in house and garden recall going well, Garden can be tricky with her generally getting wound up by dogs next door or anything passing by but we did manage to distract her and get her back a few times. I'm starting to think she would sell her soul for some chicken but shop bought supposed training "treats" are pointless.

I haven't managed to get back to the woods since but will in the next day or two. I'll be walking/running a neighbours dog a few times a week from now on too so need to work on management of that but that's a whole other thread :D

Advertisement