Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

SB-08 wrote: »
    Fukin RDS AGAIN? This will be the 6th and likely 7th time he plays the RDS in a row. It's getting like U2 and Croke Park at this stage. The predictability is becoming annoying. The issue of the price is causing a lot of negativity, and was among the headlines of the news on Newstalk Lunchtime and will be discussed shortly. Someone need to tell The Boss, that there is a huge difference with regard to the economy here compared to 08/09. The country is in receivership and it's really taking the piss to be charging us 25 quid more than the UK and other European countries. During the boom it was somewhat acceptable but to still be doing it really is frustrating. I mean at least hold the gig in a better venue like Croker or Landsdown to justify the prices.

I'll still be going obviously as Bruce is the best live performer on the planet in my view having seem loads of legends live who charge a lot such as Clapton, Elton, Rod, Macca etc - Bruce is without question worth it considering the epic show he puts on. My only issue is us being charged so much more than the UK when there is no longer an excuse, and the venue being a kip. I can see from Bruce's point of view though - he's going to sell out regardless where it is and the RDS would be a hell of a lot cheaper to hire for a gig than Croker and Landsdown. It's just a shame that he is'nt branching out and playing Slane this year though.

The boss doesnt really have that much of a say on the venue, or the price. that would be up to the organisers like mcd.
    it would be class to see him in croker, but the chillies and westlife are already playing there this summer, and mid july is a busy time for the GAA so croker would not be available. in the summer, and open air gig is much better than the o2. the RDS is the only out door venue left really. punchestown can be a disaster to get out of (AC/DC 2009 :eek: 3 hours to move the car). Slane would have been class if it was the boss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bringthethunder

Am i correct in saying regarding the standing tickets, there are 2 types of standing/general admission ticket each with a different entrance ino the RDS and only one enrance gets you entrance into the pit?

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭CiaranK

I've heard that there may not be a second night because he struggled to sell out the second night last time. Add to that this time has the price of the tickets, it being during the week and the economy I don't think either he will do another night. He could do a second gig and just not sell it out though. I for one would go to the second night if it was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭musicmania

Am i correct in saying regarding the standing tickets, there are 2 types of standing/general admission ticket each with a different entrance ino the RDS and only one enrance gets you entrance into the pit?

In 09 we were given pit passes in the queue and not sure if there were different entrances but this year for Bon Jovi I think there were 2 entrances as pit passes were for fan club members only. Doubt that will be the case for Bruce and if you want to be in the pit queue early. We only queued for a couple of hours in 09 as it was lashing and even though the queue seemed to be a mile long we still got in. I'm considering giving this a miss and going to Hyde Park in London instead as I've being offered free accomodation in London by a friend so a decision needs to be made before 9am next Thursday.

BTW Live Nation has a pre-sale for the London gig and may have for this too if they are promoting in conjunction with Aiken!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

The boss doesnt really have that much of a say on the venue, or the price. that would be up to the organisers like mcd.
    it would be class to see him in croker, but the chillies and westlife are already playing there this summer, and mid july is a busy time for the GAA so croker would not be available. in the summer, and open air gig is much better than the o2. the RDS is the only out door venue left really. punchestown can be a disaster to get out of (AC/DC 2009 :eek: 3 hours to move the car). Slane would have been class if it was the boss!

Eh, what about the brand spanking new world class stadium, literally around the corner from the RDS?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

I really would like a golden circle ticket option, I want to be in the pit but I won't be able to queue all day

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭random_guy

Just bought the pre-sale ticket for the show in Frankfurt through O2 Germany.
    The excitement might kill me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

random_guy wrote: »
    Just bought the pre-sale ticket for the show in Frankfurt through O2 Germany.
    The excitement might kill me.

How did you do that? Was trying to do the same for Berlin but you seem to need a password?

Nunu wrote: »
    Eh, what about the brand spanking new world class stadium, literally around the corner from the RDS?

cant believe i never thought of that :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭random_guy

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    How did you do that? Was trying to do the same for Berlin but you seem to need a password?

I had to register my phone with O2 (I have a German one). I think the pre-sale ended at about 8 this morning though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

CiaranK wrote: »
    I've heard that there may not be a second night because he struggled to sell out the second night last time. Add to that this time has the price of the tickets, it being during the week and the economy I don't think either he will do another night. He could do a second gig and just not sell it out though. I for one would go to the second night if it was on.

I'm surprised the ticket prices are so high if thats the case.

Sure weren't Bon Jovi only like €65?

karaokeman wrote: »
    I'm surprised the ticket prices are so high if thats the case.

Sure weren't Bon Jovi only like €65?

The Cheapest Bon Jovi tickets were 65 but that was for the stand at the back of the arena. They got more expensive for GA, Gold Circle, Diamond Circle and the seats at the side. Same thing happened with them, I went on the second night this year for and the place wasn't full at all. LOADS of room at the back.

Berlin tkts on pre-sale now on eventim.de

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

_Lola_ wrote: »
    New, updated list (with new spanish and scandinavian dates)
    13 MAY - SEVILLA - Estadio Olímpico de la Cartuja
    17 MAY - BARCELONA - Estadi Olímpic
    25 MAY - FRANKFURT - Commerzbank-Arena
    27 MAY - KÖLN - Rhein Energie Stadion
    30 MAY - BERLIN - Olympiastadion

2 JUNE - SAN SEBASTIÁN - Anoeta Stadium
    3 JUNE - LISABON [festival] - Rock in Rio
    7 JUNE - MILAN - San Siro (*GA sold out)
    10 JUNE - FLORENCE - Stadio Franchi
    11 JUNE - TRIESTE - Nereo Rocco Stadio
    17 JUNE - MADRID - Santiago Bernabéu
    19 JUNE - MONTPELLIER - L'arena De Montpellier
    21 JUNE - SUNDERLAND - Stadium of Light
    22 JUNE - MANCHESTER - City of Manchester Stadium
    24 JUNE - ISLE OF WIGHT [festival]- Isle of Wight

4 JULY - PARIS - Bercy
    5 JULY - PARIS - Bercy
    12 JULY - VIENNA - Ernst Happel Stadium
    14 JULY - LONDON [festival] - Hyde Park
    17 JULY - DUBLIN - RDS Arena
    21 JULY - OSLO
    23 JULY - BERGEN
    27 JULY - GOTHENBORG - Ullevi Stadium

Are any of them indoor?

nm wrote: »
    Are any of them indoor?

Paris and Montpellier

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭_Lola_

Full list finally on brucespringsteen.net :)
    http://brucespringsteen.net/live/index.html

Edit: Berlin tickets in the pocket. smiley-happy023.gif
    EUR75 GA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

€86 to stand at the RDS?

Springsteen is a legend but thats scandalous, especially when looking at gig prices in other countries

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Jayob10 wrote: »
    €86 to stand at the RDS?
    If you are buying them online the service charge will be €6.10 per ticket too so most will be paying €102.10 or €92.10

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Go2Guy

Hi All
    I'd like to start by saying I am a massive Bruce Springsteen fan. But lets not get into that. The rds is not my favourite venue but lets not talk about that either.
    It's going to cost us around the €100 mark to get in the gate...let's talk about that.
    Is there any way we (the real fans) can get to Aiken to do something about this? It is clear judging by prices in other countries that this is an Irish/Aiken thing therefore we can assume that Bruce and The E street band are not to blame. I don't want people saying it will be worth it...see note above...but if you have any feelings on this particular subject please share.

Frustrated Boss fan

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

He has been confirmed for Pinkpop and Roskilde

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 TPK

The trouble is, people will probably pay these prices & I would guess that it will still sell out. Not nice to feel ripped off here, when comparing to prices to other countries, but Aiken obvoiusly still feels the market will bear these prices. I too would be a big fan, but I will not pay these prices, perhaps if there was a few more like us, we would see prices drop, but don't think we will see it this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

There are a lot of things to take into consideration for the cost of a concert ticket, but the main reason (whether we like it or not) is the artist's fee. After that, the promoter does the maths based on the whole spectrum of expenses to bring the show here (shipping, insurance, etc.).

Perhaps most crucially in the case of the Springsteen gig, the face value of the ticket is calculated based on the amount of tickets they can sell, i.e., the amount of people who can see the show, in terms of the venue's capacity. After that, Aiken need to turn a profit, and then they arrive at the ticket price.

Yes, it's more expensive than the UK, but he's playing bigger arenas in the UK, and - in the broadest sense - the bigger the venue, the cheaper the ticket. The RDS is a considerably smaller space than the venues he's playing elsewhere. If he was playing the Aviva or Croke Park, it might have been cheaper. Sure, the first night may sell out and he may add a second night, which means more people are paying to see him, and then you could say, "Oh, now he's playing to the same amount of people as he would in one night in the UK", but all the trappings and infrastructure of that second night also has to be paid for too, so it's a false economy.

Petitioning won't help. If people decide it's too expensive, they simply won't go, and neither Bruce nor Aiken will be too worried, as there are still plenty of people out there who will go, regardless of the price.

They're shrewd when it comes to booking him here. The Working on a Dream shows in the RDS didn't sell as well as the Magic tour, so the proposed option of a third night never materialised, but the option was there. There's a clear gap in his schedule this time too. If the first night sells out fast, a second night is guaranteed. If not, they may keep it at one. Hell, he only played one night in 1999 and 2003.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Go2Guy

I can't disagree with your points! It's a mystery to me how they don't go for Croker or Slane. Personally I'd love to see him in the O2 as the sound would be best there. I probably listen to the e street band every day or maybe every second day so to hear them live would be special...I've only seen them once before and I'm so glad I did before Clarence passed away, rip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭mossie

Go2Guy wrote: »
    Hi All
    I'd like to start by saying I am a massive Bruce Springsteen fan. But lets not get into that. The rds is not my favourite venue but lets not talk about that either.
    It's going to cost us around the €100 mark to get in the gate...let's talk about that.
    Is there any way we (the real fans) can get to Aiken to do something about this? It is clear judging by prices in other countries that this is an Irish/Aiken thing therefore we can assume that Bruce and The E street band are not to blame. I don't want people saying it will be worth it...see note above...but if you have any feelings on this particular subject please share.

Frustrated Boss fan

The prices are the same as the last shows in 2009 so at least they haven't increased. Would be nice if they were less but nothing much comes down really especially if they know they can sell at that price.

I can't disagree with your points! It's a mystery to me how they don't go for Croker or Slane. Personally I'd love to see him in the O2 as the sound would be best there. I probably listen to the e street band every day or maybe every second day so to hear them live would be special...I've only seen them once before and I'm so glad I did before Clarence passed away, rip.

The o2 would be great but would never be likely for a major summer tour. Slane was never going to happen. I was there last time in 1985 and, while it was agood show, was nowhere near his best. I seem to remember reading that he disliked the whole experience of Slane and was disappointed with his own performance there. Croker in July is a non runner anyway. Little bit surprised they didn't go for the Aviva but I have a feeling that Aiken Promotions can hire the RDS quite a lot more cheaply which might have something to do with it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

There are a lot of things to take into consideration for the cost of a concert ticket, but the main reason (whether we like it or not) is the artist's fee. After that, the promoter does the maths based on the whole spectrum of expenses to bring the show here (shipping, insurance, etc.).

Perhaps most crucially in the case of the Springsteen gig, the face value of the ticket is calculated based on the amount of tickets they can sell, i.e., the amount of people who can see the show, in terms of the venue's capacity. After that, Aiken need to turn a profit, and then they arrive at the ticket price.

Yes, it's more expensive than the UK, but he's playing bigger arenas in the UK, and - in the broadest sense - the bigger the venue, the cheaper the ticket. The RDS is a considerably smaller space than the venues he's playing elsewhere. If he was playing the Aviva or Croke Park, it might have been cheaper. Sure, the first night may sell out and he may add a second night, which means more people are paying to see him, and then you could say, "Oh, now he's playing to the same amount of people as he would in one night in the UK", but all the trappings and infrastructure of that second night also has to be paid for too, so it's a false economy.

Petitioning won't help. If people decide it's too expensive, they simply won't go, and neither Bruce nor Aiken will be too worried, as there are still plenty of people out there who will go, regardless of the price.

They're shrewd when it comes to booking him here. The Working on a Dream shows in the RDS didn't sell as well as the Magic tour, so the proposed option of a third night never materialised, but the option was there. There's a clear gap in his schedule this time too. If the first night sells out fast, a second night is guaranteed. If not, they may keep it at one. Hell, he only played one night in 1999 and 2003.

+1

That pretty much covers all points.

A mystery? How is it a mystery, same venue, same fee, same money in the back pocket.

Not being bad but sure the price is annoying but at the end of the day you choose to pay it. Also as stated above the main reason for any ticket price is the artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭mossie

All very true and no doubt some of the extras to be taken into account like insurance are quite a bit more costly here.

As regards planning for ticket sales if they could be certain of selling 70,000 tickets they could go for a single show at a larger venue at lower ticket prices but they can't be sure so hedge their bets by using a smaller venue with the option of adding extra dates. Selling 70,000 over two nights in 2008 and 2009 is no guarantee of doing that for a single show as a lot of those would have been one person attending two shows. I went to both shows in 09 and two of the three in 08 and a lot of the people I met were doing the same so no doubt they consider all this in their planning. I'm sure they can access sales records from past shows to check for double bookings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,026 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

When are tickets on sale?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    When are tickets on sale?

Thursday 1st December at 9:00am

I can't disagree with your points! It's a mystery to me how they don't go for Croker or Slane. Personally I'd love to see him in the O2 as the sound would be best there.

Croker is booked out thi summer with the chillies and westlife. Slane would have been class but I dont think the tickets would have been any cheaper, if i recall, oasis was pretty expensive in 09 (great line up though)

the O2 would be good, but for the boss, open air in July is the best! (assumeing the rain stays away!) shame it wasnt in the aviva

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Shaneosexual

Does anybody know the limit of tickets per person?

Advertisement