Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

First half of Croker was great, 2nd half very predictable and a touch boring if you've seen the show a few times.

Twist and Shout is a baffling song to have in the encore (actually in the set in general) but was playing as I was leaving an people were going mental for it.

People are morons.

Also it worked out at about 13 quid a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭FazyLucker

The problem is, the logistics of the concert was a total mess and many people felt some of the rules were stupid. Like, not letting you bring pints on to the pitch and a guy selling cans and offering plastic glasses (the same kind as the pints were holding) made no sense.

Good for you to be there only for the music. Many of us were there for the concert and a few drinks as like any other concert. People are moaning because it was a great concert music wise but a crap concert in basically every regard (after ponying up €140 for their tickets). If you have a problem with people complaining about this, that is on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Pago 007

Why where you leaving early, twist and shout wasn't the last song at any of the gigs

The pints out the back of the stand were 7.50, it was 7.50 for 33cl of Rockshore.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

To miss the sh1t storm of an Irish stadium exit. Was home in 30 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭interlocked

Best I've seen at a Bruce gig was in Prague in 2012, they has draught local beer in the pit, you could stroll over and get a beer, no queues or waiting. I remember it being a bit dearer than the city, about €2.00 to €2.50 for a half litre! My friend still talks wistfully about it.

Great to see a man his age still able to do a 3hour show, only downer for me they didn't do Rosalita at any of the gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭musicmania

7.55pm start in Sunderland. First song was Waiting on a Sunny Day. Hope they get it. I mean it worked here at one of The RDS shows in 2009 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tipp1991

I wouldn't necessarily trust Setlist.fm (if that's where you were getting your info from). Always plenty of messers on that while concerts are ongoing. There's been heaps of songs added to and removed from the listing for tonights gig already.

Did anyone read Barry Egan's review of the Croker gig in the Independent? He was obviously not at the concert and was relying on whatever was on Setlist.fm as Rosalita was listed on that during the concert. Rosalita wasn't performed

Here's an extract from his review:

The mean-streets opera of Born To Run was life-affirming, as was Patti Smith’s Because the Night, Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out, Wrecking Ball and the full-on Rosalita (Come Out Tonight).

On the latter, it was moving to hear a crowd on the northside of Dublin join The Boss in lines like “pretty little place in Southern California, down San Diego way”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

I fully enjoyed, the gig, not a diehard Bruce fan, but have seen him a few times and always he gives great entertainment, audience engagement and literally a non stop 3 hour show from a 20 piece band. I am sure overheads are significant and I don’t begrudge the promoter making a profit. On the Rochshore (rebranded Budweiser) there was a sense of being gouged. I had 2 cans which was enough for me, I can thankfully afford it and more at the price, but no one likes to feel they are being ‘had’.

Anyway I have enough good memories to sustain me until the next time he plays here, and I’m sure he will. He looks to have a lot of gas still in the tank, he is clearly enjoying it and so were the vast, vast bulk of those there. I’d happily go again, just maybe would have another pint or so outside the ground and support the local businesses rather than the music / entertainment industry complex!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭musicmania

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Egan has form for this. He submitted a review for an RDS show years ago (possibly 2008, though it could have been as far back as 2003) wherein he said The River was performed (it wasn't) and Bruce's surname was spelled Springstein.

Following criticism, he explained that he submitted the review before the show was finished, in order to make a deadline, and was basically "guessing" what would be played, based on previous setlists.

He also took umbrage at being criticised for misspelling Springsteen, effectively blaming a copy editor for making the error.

A complete clown who has somehow blagged his way to shows for over thirty years.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭downtheroad

They'll fairly lash the pints in at Sunderland. What pish are they selling there I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tipp1991

It turns out he did indeed start with Waitin' On A Sunny Day. This was some of the setlist that was posted earlier 😂

Did he review a gig (I'm not sure of the artist) that appear in a Friday edition of a newspaper and it turned out the gig wasn't on until the Friday night or something to that effect?

I know one thing, he won't get €7.50 for a can of Rockshore out of the Mackems/Geordies that will be attending it!

With that mis spelling, can't help be reminded of Spinal Tap concert in The Simpsons - "Good night Springton, there will be no encores"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,925 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yes . There were cans with mixers and spirits at the bar along with soft drinks etc .

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Kilteragh

That was my first Springsteen gig. Was a great moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,642 ✭✭✭Zardoz

In fairness most of those concert reviews are essentially paid for pieces by Aiken.

Im sure he tells the journalist what to say.

Have you ever seen an unfavourable review.

Papers always write a pr piece in return for free tickets for competitions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I like to have a couple of drinks at gigs. It heightens the experience. For me anyway. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. If the only priority should be to go and listen to music, then there is no point in having a bar there at all by that logic. And that wouldn't go down well. I'm generally conservative enough in the amount I drink at gigs, to judge it so that I won't be going in and out for a plss every 20 minutes. And I try to empty the bladder with about an hour left, as that is normally the best part of a concert.

You'll always get some chatting at gigs. For louder concerts, it's generally tolerable. But you're right - clowns that go and shouting shlte to their friends is extremely idiotic. I've had a few gigs ruined through that.

But last point on the drinks. It is reasonable to expect that when you are paying for a few drinks, that it is at least enjoyable. If you go to a restaurant with the main priority to have food, and want to have a couple of drink with it, it would turn your stomach if the waiter suggested that they only had Rockplss. When in reality there are so many choices out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,642 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Bruce blue collar, not anymore the whole working man thing has been firmly eroded over the last few tours with the prices he charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

This thread needs to be renamed "Queues and Booze" - jeez back to the music already!

Doh! 😖

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭TheSunIsShining

"Nobody rocks like.....................Springfield!"

• Registered Users Posts: 38,180 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Barry Egan Review: Girls Aloud give the crowd exactly what they want Hit after Hit with nothing but brilliance.

That's the current headline on the Indo music page.

He'll always be the "John The Baptist" charlatan to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MOR316

Bruce did say he was coming to Dublin to rock you all into the ground.

Rockshore you into the ground that is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭John arse

I see that Bruce and ESB are releasing a special single just for Ireland - 'I'll rockshore your love'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MOR316

Will that be part of my next electricity bill?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

At least Sunderland got Racing. otherwise fairly standard but reports that he was in top form again and a great gig

Advertisement