Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

A person who knows what he is at would be quicker than having people turning phones up and down at machines. But the GAA's arrangements are not the problem, there wasn't a huge queue at the regular turnstiles, the problem was worse for standing tickets for the pitch, the GAA has no turnstiles for the pitch for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭muddypaws

We seem to have been in the minority last night, had no issues getting in, joined the queue and went in, tickets scanned and pit passes still being given out at 5.25 much to my surprise. Great spot to the left of the stage. Really easy access out to the toilets and back in, clean and no queues when we went before he came on and at the end. We just walked out stage right and would have been back at my friend's house in Clontarf very quickly if we'd been able to find a bus stop on the North Strand, all seem to be gone because of the roadworks.

Great night, after 2016 I said I wouldn't go to Croke Park again unless I was on the pitch as the sound was so bad. No complaints about that last night.

I didn't find it as emotional last night as I did in the RDS last year, although My City of Ruins felt like it had a special poignancy in the week of the 50th anniversary of the Dublin and Monaghan bombings - I'd say Springsteen wasn't aware of it but it struck me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭downtheroad

This was a very small section of the crowd queuing at the turnstiles for Hogan Stand. That queue went a lot further back and down the road. All while a few young lads were looking at phones to make sure people were in the right area.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tipp1991

No one is being forced to go to a concert, and if someone does attend, no one is forcing them to buy food or drink there.

Had much the same experience as you. I was a little earlier than that but absolutely no issues. Toilets in the Hill 16 end were quiet on the two occasions I went.

I thought the sound was poor for the first two songs but I would expect that and for it to be adapted on the fly.

I found The River quite emotional. I was in an identical spot to where I was for the 2016 gig and it struck me out of nowhere how I was in the exact spot I was in 8 years ago but so much had changed in the intervening period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭mountain

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭musicmania

I couldn't care less if they charged €50 a pint. People can laugh at people complaining about the price of beer/selection.

However most, if not all, of the other complaints are valid. Just because I got lucky strolling into to Croke Park, it is clear from photos posted a few pages back that many people did have a hassle, that they shouldn't. It is totally unacceptable for simple organisation to fail. Good weather, and a venue well used to huge crowds, should be well able to cope with getting everyone in, in a timely fashion.

I noticed the difficulty with scanning the tickets in those stalls. In low light. They can't blame sun flare for that. Weirdly mine scanned no problem. Mine scanned immediately. I had it save to Google wallet, so curious to know from those who had problems were they showing on the TM app, or Apple?

There were many really annoyed people leaving last night. I did tell them if they'd suffered the hell that some of us endured on Thursday, they'd realise it was actually OK after the gig last night. I do think some previous knowledge did play a part. I made sure I exited back out of Fosters Ave. Getting squashed on Jones Road six not appeal!

Regarding comment further up, some of us are considerate of our neighbours when taking photos or videos.

While I'm glad I got to see the tour in Dublin, and Cork, I am adamant in never going to a concert in Pairc Ui Chaoimh again. Unless they put another bridge over the river, or do a river taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,131 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I think a lot of the issue is that there is no support act so people surge into the stadium at the last minute. Kilkenny was bad too. Not enough signs, no megaphones, not enough barriers/ticket scanners. But then again many only tried to gain entry in the last half hour, myself included. It was a shambles though. The toilets closed at 9.45pm and the lighting, or lack of, on exiting was really disorientating. The Rockshore mobile sales stalls on the pitch were selling alcoholic drinks only (not just beer btw) so as someone who wasn't drinking I would have had to leave and go outside the pitch if I wanted a drink, I didn't bother.

To thine own self be true

Regarding the scanning of tickets, on iPhone's if you saved the ticket to your Wallet, it worked via NFC so low light wouldn't have been an issue. If you used the Ticketmaster app, it displayed the barcode. I'm not sure if this was the same on Android devices. One thing that does cause issue is people having the display brightness of the devices turned down (to save battery life). I've been at events in the past where people were advised to have the brightness turned up before scanning.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭polydactyl

and yet I joined the queue for red route as directed at 4.20 and only got in at 545. No passes left…. So perhaps you managed to join a splinter queue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Anyone rushing back to a gig in Pairc Ui Caoimh needs immediate nd intensive counseling. City is not set up for a show of that size.

People in the wrong area is a different problem. There is no doubt that signposting should have been better. Big screens are readily available nowadays, red route, blue route etc could have been designated by such devices so that there were no delays caused by people being in the wrong place.

People weren't in the wrong area. They were in the correct area, in a massive queue. Slowed down by the manual reading of tickets, instead of scanning them with technology.

We got the passes at 5.25, we were in the queue a lot earlier than that. Sorry you missed out, hope you got a good spot and enjoyed the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭polydactyl

ah misunderstood the timing. We ended up at the barricade anyway as didn’t stop for drinks etc. Great view great night.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,674 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Well Aiken didnt help.

There should have been free shuttle buses running from the city centre for people.

They had them for some gaa matches there recently, it should be mandatory.

Expecting people to walk 2-3 miles along mud paths is just ludicrous.

I noticed the difficulty with scanning the tickets in those stalls. In
    low light. They can't blame sun flare for that. Weirdly mine scanned no
    problem. Mine scanned immediately. I had it save to Google wallet, so
    curious to know from those who had problems were they showing on the TM
    app, or Apple?

Ive seen it first hand multiple times with these new rotating qr codes, they dont scan properly.

Have been told to just go on in multiple times as the ticket couldnt be scanned properly.

These mobile tickets arent fit for purpose, should go back to pdf.

As I said, a person who knows what there are at will scan more quickly than a person approaching an unfamiliar machine.

I'm not sure who owns the land around PUC, but there council or someone has to ensure that you can get in and out safely and the public transport authorities need to provide some services if there are tens of thousands of people there. Concert licences could require a payment to fund such buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,816 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There were big arrows, pointing to the red and blue routes, but the problem for me was that the red route advised on the ticket Foster Terrace wasn't open, and we had to go back to Clonliffe Road at Drumcondra Instead. How hard is it to give accurate information to people beforehand?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

If he had any decency Bruce should have been on to Aiken about all these problems.

Why didn’t Bruce threaten a no show ?

As the poster above said - Shuttle buses should be laid on.

For god sake for the cost of the tickets there should’ve been buses laid on to cork, limerick, galway, Wexford.

Not hard. They could email or text people if the arrangements had changed and inform them of the revised setup. They know exactly who has each ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭lc180

Rockshore is absolute muck but.... Selling cans of beer meant I was able to stock up, buy 6, stick them in jacket pockets, drink whenever during the set and not have to go to the bar & miss any songs... Only silver lining.

Now we just need the organisers to sell an actual enjoyable beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Sean Seoighe

Nothing further to add on the sh1tshow that was getting in, however as someone who didn't get onto the pitch until I think 7.40 (and loads were behind me too) - given Aiken knew what was happening why didn't they ask for gig to be delayed or would they have done this and Bruce said no?

Because there is a curfew that means the show would have been cut drastically short

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Fanirish

you would need hundreds of buses/drivers to transport 30,000 from Puc after a concert in good time. Simply doesn’t exist that many buses or drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 38,145 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Kilkenny is up on Nugs.net

• Registered Users Posts: 85,863 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

In regard to PUC Cork, many roads were closed that could have allowed buses and taxis, just for drops and collections, also poor lighting

Did Aiken arrange security stewards etc., as a few had no knowledge of Cork

This makes the decision to remove the tops off the bottles of water even more nonsensical. Were cans sold unopened? I understand why lids are taken off water bottles - so they can't be used as missiles, although why anyone would think that would be an issue at a Springsteen gig is beyond me. But a thrown unopened can could cause a nasty injury as well. The women beside us were allowed to keep the tops on their bottles, there just seems to be so much inconsistency with decisions. And if I'd known we wouldn't be searched going in I would just brought a bottle from outside instead of paying €3.15.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭flasher0030

But is the curfew 10.30? I thought it was 11, but I could be wrong, especially as it was a Sunday night i.e. If it's 11, could have delayed it back by over half hour. I was in the queue on the way in, when I heard the gig kicking off. I was surprised. I thought that when the organisation was out of control at that point and it was clear that the stewards hadn't a clue what was happening, that the start would be delayed until at least most people were into the stadium. But I guess, it's all jut another business - the promotor doesn't give a shlt, as they had their money earned already. And Bruce and his gang didn't care. They were jut going to do their show and head off again with their pockets full of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Bruce and the band and production etc have a gig to play in front of 80,000 people. Band meetings, vocal warm ups, getting dressed, tuning up, warming up etc. Theyre not sat in the back monitoring the queues or concerned if the bars are selling shite beer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement