Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your First REAL gadget

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I got a Swiss Army Knife (yes, it is a gadget!) for my 10th birthday.

Loved it - especially the saw on it, but my dad really regretted getting it for me after I hacked halfway through one of the legs on a kitchen chair & it broke when he sat down one day to have Sunday dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

commodore 64 with games such as flimbos quest, shinobi, circus game, paper boy and some other brilliant game something like sonic, but with some boy with an axe...

ah memories..

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

Dunno which came first, but I had a calculator watch and a calculator PENCIL CASE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

I had a watch with space invaders game on it when I was about 14. It got nicked in school = heartbroken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭ballsacky

A Sega Master System. Had Alex The Kidd built in if you didn't put in a game cartridge. Class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

Thamogotchie, I think! If I even spelt that right...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Inspector.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Freddie59 wrote: »
    WTF?????:eek:

Panic alarm thing. There was a little square red button in my dad's Honda Prelude that did the same thing. He'd let us push it occasionally and the cars ahead would pull into the side a bit as they thought it was an unmarked cop car. That was obviously the best thing ever, good times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

earpiece wrote: »
    Dude I'm with you... got a ferguson radio cassette in 1976, cost me £22.... I was a long time saving.

(had tone control too!!)

Remember Chromedioxide cassettes?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Panic alarm thing. There was a little square red button in my dad's Honda Prelude that did the same thing. He'd let us push it occasionally and the cars ahead would pull into the side a bit as they thought it was an unmarked cop car. That was obviously the best thing ever, good times.

Brilliant! Good (and very innocent) times indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

A DeLorian with a flux capacitor. This would have been back in the 80's.

It was deadly, I was able to travel through time. Had to get rid of it when I realised that I was running the risk of causing a temporal paradox.

Great Scott!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

As a kid I had a Casio watch that played 30 different tunes. Not just bits but the whole song.

After that I got a Casio Data watch. You would type in your stuff on your BBC computer and then just hold your watch up to the screen. It would upload the data from the flashes off the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Sinclair ZX80..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

neil_hosey wrote: »
    commodore 64 with games such as flimbos quest, shinobi, circus game, paper boy and some other brilliant game something like sonic, but with some boy with an axe...

ah memories..

Had one of those too, played Kick Off, and camel attack. Great little pc..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Tamagotchi was my first gadgety thing I think. Ahhh the days of making my mam babysit my cyber pets...dont think I ever actually played with em for more than ten mins!

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭some random drunk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

A calculator that doubled up as a pac man game, a very cool gadget at the time, oh and a walkman (cassette of course) I remember walking around listing to Bonnie Tyler and playing pac man, I was such a cool kid :cool: dont know what happened as I got older :( the year was 1983.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭beer enigma

tallus wrote: »
    Sinclair ZX80..

Aww just beat me there - I had the ZX81 & it still works !

Also had a Stylophone in 1973 which again still works.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

I had a calculator which I left on one of those little hot air fans as soon as I got it. Melted the fan to the calculator, the calculator to the fan. Total time in possession of non hideous monstrosity Calculator: 1 hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

Spectrum 48k...

It bit the dust when i swtiched it off and forgot to unplug the joystick interface...

Walkman after that and my dad got me some cool speakers that used 4 batteries each and lasted about 10 minutes!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

not the first gadget, but i remember having one of these when I was a kid.

http://www.re-buy-cycle.co.uk/uploads/295/3.jpg

It was a computerised bike, that eh, never ever worked. When I say never worked, I mean I never actually saw the thing operational. So it was a big bulky bike that got looks from every other lad in school, was a bitch to get up a hill and I'm fairly sure the folks got it free with a washing machine.
    :D:D
    They had to be a scam,I knew of 3 lads that had them and they did absolutely nothing either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Commodore 64 also here :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I had a spaceship... actually it was just a cardboard box, but to me it was a spaceship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Surprised no one has mentioned a VCR.

My personal favourite was a James Bond watch that played the James Bond Music. or a 128K PC that had to have a cassette tape attached to record or load programs.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

First one I can rememebr is the NES in '89.

Ah the memories. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Probably one of them electronic spelling computers but I couldnt tell you the name.
    Besides that, Game Boy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

Sony cassette Walkman.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Max Keller

For me it was a casio watch with a racing game in it. Max.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

An Amstrad 6128, disk and cartridge load maching, I was so happpy that christmas, still have it and it still works too...:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

irish-stew wrote: »
    An Atari 2600.

I win.

Thread closed.

:p

(gawd I'm getting old)

Nope, I had an Atari 800XL.

With this game:

Bow down, bwoy. :pac:

Advertisement