Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dueling Dinos: Fossil Find of the Decade?

Options
  • 12-11-2011 9:02pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It is certainly one of the most spectacular fossils ever found. It is a lot like the Figthing Dinos (Velociraptor and Protoceratops) found in Mongolia, only these were found in Montana and were a tyrannosaurid and a ceratopsid.

There are several awesome things about this fossil:

1- The two dinos were found very close to each other. Scientists believe that they actually died together. The tyrannosaurid was found by accident when the scientists were digging the ceratopsid out.

2- The ceratopsid was HUGE; as big or bigger than Triceratops and Torosaurus, yet it does not belong to any of those genera.

3- The fact that the fossils were found in the Hell Creek Formation suggests that there was a third genus of ceratopsid (a chasmosaurine) living alongside Triceratops and or Torosaurus.

4- The ceratopsid was at first thought to have been hornless! However further study has revealed that it did indeed have horns.

5- The tyrannosaurid (get this) is seemingly an ADULT NANOTYRANNUS! That's right; this fossil could prove once and for all that Nanotyrannus was NOT a juvenile T-Rex, but rather a separate species- the second tyrannosaur species from the latest Cretaceous of North America. The leopard to Tyrannosaurus' lion, if you will.

6- If both dinos did die together that would indicate that Nanotyrannus did not limit itself to hunt small prey, as the ceratopsid was MUCH, much bigger than itself.

7- Both dinos are almost complete and fully articulated- even more amazing,both seem to have preserved skin impressions.

8- Teeth from the Nanotyrannus were found in the ceratopsid's body. The Nanotyrannus also seems to have very serious injuries that may have been caused by the ceratopsid.

So, amazing news or what?

CHRIS_pipquarry4_DUELDINOS.jpg

This is a replica:

DINO_DUELING_DINOS_MDDKBS1j.jpg

Oh, and, it seems that they found a second Dracorex specimen from Hell Creek, this time with teeth... and they were pointy and serrated?!! WTF?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

This is one find that I am really stoked about, and am looking forward to seeing what new info it produces.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I read that the tyrannosaurid's head was crushed. Not confirmed whether or not the ceratopsian did it or not. I'd say the TV documentary / book deal rights for this one are hotly contested!
    It would be awesome if it turned out to be an adult Nanotyrannus. What size was the specimen?
    Very cool that it appears to be a chasmosaurine. Very underrated branch of ceratopsian IMO.

src.php?title=Chasmosaurus+belli+and+Daspletosaurus+torosus&objectid=2&size=full

Re: the Dracorex, pointy serrated teeth? A carnivourous pachecephalosaur right out of the Land Before Time!

Pachycephalosaurus.JPG

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Galvasean wrote: »
    Re: the Dracorex, pointy serrated teeth? A carnivourous pachecephalosaur right out of the Land Before Time!

Pachycephalosaurus.JPG

I always assumed that those Pachys were simply extremely aggressive... kind of like a youth gang that corners u in a dark alley XD

But yeah, it seems that at least Dracorex may have been partially carnivorous.

And, chasmosaurines underrated? How can that be, if Triceratops itself is a chasmosaurine?

PS- I think the Nanotyrannus is about 6 meters long

Adam Khor wrote: »
    And, chasmosaurines underrated? How can that be, if Triceratops itself is a chasmosaurine?

And there I was thinking the triceratopsini were seperate to the chasmosaurines. Just looked it up and apparently they;re a sort of sub group of the chasmosaurines. Hmmph. :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Allosaur

NANNO t.!!!!!

Too early to say I told you so yet?

Adam, can I get links?

Galvasean wrote: »
    Spotted that. I was hoping to get a paper on it. Early days yet I suppose.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Sorry, hadn´t seen Allosaur's request for links. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ItIsCloudy

Allosaur wrote: »
    Spotted that. I was hoping to get a paper on it. Early days yet I suppose.

Currently the place where any new info will first be posted is http://www.duelingdinos.com any other sites are taking the information from that site. You will find as much information as exists at this site run by BHIGR. There is a PDF on this site but no scientific papers have been published as of yet, BHIGR is currently seeking a home for these amazing specimens; so go to you local university and/or museum and tell them to raise money to bring it to you!!! Woo Hoo, dueling dinos for all!

Right people, if we all donate one euro... that's like 8 euros....

Need more....

edit: PS welcome to the forum :)

Advertisement