Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerrang Covering Metal Again? 50 Heaviest Albums?

Options
  • 11-11-2011 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

Kerrang have a new editor and he's been making a few changes. And, in fairness, this week's issue is fairly heavy compared to the recent rubbish Nichola Browne was heralding out.

In any case, they came up with a list of their 50 heaviest albums, and it's not a bad list. I would even go so far as to agree with most of the selection. What do you think yourself?

How many do you own, how many would you buy, and any bands whose album you might change?

1389_244x325.jpg

50 Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
    49 The Beatles - White Album
    48 Cathedral - Forest Of Equilibrium
    47 The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland
    46 Judas Priest - British Steel
    45 Machine Head - Burn My Eyes
    44 Alice in Chains - Dirt
    43 Deftones - Around The Fur
    42 The Prodigy - Fat Of The Land
    41 Obituary - Slowly We Rot
    40 Lamb Of God - Ashes Of The Wake
    39 Nirvana - Bleach
    38 Sepultura - Chaos AD
    37 Gojira - From Mars To Sirius
    36 Mogwai - My Father My King
    35 Morbid Anfel - Altars Of Madness
    34 Megadeth - Rust In Peace
    33 American Nightmare - Background Music
    32 Bathory - Bathory
    31 Sarcofago - INRI
    30 NIN - The Downwards Spiral
    29 Korn - Korn
    28 Carcass - Reek Of Putrefaction
    27 Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse
    26 Death - Scream Bloody Gore
    25 Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
    24 Satyricon - Volcano
    23 Atari Teenage Riot - 60 Second Wipe Out
    22 Brutal Truth - Sounds Of The Animal Kingdom
    21 Bring Me The Horizon - Suicide Season
    20 Discharge - Hear nothing see nothing say nothing
    19 Strapping Young Lad - City
    18 Meshuggah - Destroy Erase Improve
    17 Sleep - Dopesmoker
    16 Sunn 0))) - Black One
    15 Botch - We Are The Romans
    14 Metallica - Master Of Puppets
    13 Rammstein - Sehnsucht
    12 Pantera - Vulgar Display Of Power
    11 Everytime i Die - Hot Damn
    10 The Dillinger Escape Plan - Calculating Infinity
    09 Napalm Death - Scum
    08 Refused - The Shape Of Punk To Come
    07 Black Flag - Damaged
    06 Mastodon - Leviathan
    05 At The Gates - Slaughter Of The Soul
    04 Slipknot - Iowa
    03 Converge - Jane Doe
    02 Black Sabbath - Master Of Reality
    01 Slayer - Reign In Blood

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I'm very impressed with the inclusion of Sleep, Meshuggah, Electric Wizard, Sunn o))).

Although what infuriates me is that BMTH and ATR (I'm pretty sure by looking at the names they're "screamo").

Also the prodigy and beatles. WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

These 'Top' lists, like Top 50 Heaviest Bands, or Top 50 Singers are just lazy lazy journalism.

How much space has been taken up by this meaningless ****e when they could be promoting up and coming new bands that sure could do with the press

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lucifer31

Interesting list. I own ten of those albums on CD. Going by the type of diverse list that it is, I'm surprised that Zeppelin didn't feature, along with AC/DC and Iron Maiden. But hey...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

42 The Prodigy - Fat Of The Land
    :confused: This is a great album but it's not heavy and it's not metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

There's a pretentious ideology (that I'm not knocking, I subscribe to it) that 'heavy' music doesn't have to be 'metal' music, which pisses off (again, for want of a better term) 'purists' who listen to metal only, as is their right and preference, so lists like this including the Beatles and Prodigy are always going to draw ire no matter what, but from a zeitgeist point of view you can accept on some level their inclusion.

My point of view in that regard I'd have NWA's 'Efil4zaggin' on the list, but that there's a can o' worms. You can lump in a ridiculous amount of albums from a 'heavy-not-metal' point of view, Combichrist's 'Everybody Hates You' or Tori Amos' 'Little Earthquakes' even (yeah I stayed well out of that thread).

Anywho, Kerrang is probably just in the grip of a midlife crisis, it'll pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

From Krusher's FaceBook page, about sums it all up really

HARRRRRGH'FOOOOOKIN'HARRRGH!!!​!
    The Guardian via Kerrplop! now tell us what the 10 heaviest albums that were ever made!!!!
    **** ME BACKWARDS WITH THE STUPIDITY OF THIS!!!!!!!
    Between the two of the arsechickens they wouldn't know what heavy was apart from a 50lb **** covered sledgehammers to the face!!!!
    I worked for this magazine for 10 years to see this ****e!!!
    IT BREAKS MY FOOOOKIN' HEART!!!!
    THIS IS HEAVY!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Bring Me The Horizon and Atari Teenage Riot pretty much ruin what is quite a good list of albums. Although, they do have Dopesmoker, great album, fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

scudzilla wrote: »
    From Krusher's FaceBook page, about sums it all up really

HARRRRRGH'FOOOOOKIN'HARRRGH!!!​!
    The Guardian via Kerrplop! now tell us what the 10 heaviest albums that were ever made!!!!
    **** ME BACKWARDS WITH THE STUPIDITY OF THIS!!!!!!!
    Between the two of the arsechickens they wouldn't know what heavy was apart from a 50lb **** covered sledgehammers to the face!!!!
    I worked for this magazine for 10 years to see this ****e!!!
    IT BREAKS MY FOOOOKIN' HEART!!!!
    THIS IS HEAVY!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats a good one. It's not a bad list, but I especially like the inclusion of Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, Bathory - Bathory, Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse and Black Sabbath - Master Of Reality. I can't believe that In Rock by Deep Purple, To Mega Therion by Celtic Frost and Black Metal by Venom were no on that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭RayCon

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Malice wrote: »
    :confused: This is a great album but it's not heavy and it's not metal.
    Doesn't have to be metal to be heavy, Fat Of The Land is pretty heavy for an electronic album. In my opinion early Swans are one of the heaviest bands ever and they're certainly not a metal band.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Doesn't have to be metal to be heavy, Fat Of The Land is pretty heavy for an electronic album.

True but i took it in the context that Kerrang were positioning themselves back in the Metal arena and that's what the list alluded to. I've mates who are serious metalheads but are also hardcore Prodigy and Pendulum fans. They enjoy the heavy Drum & Bass stuff.

In the grand scheme of things, Prodigy are a really heavy electronic band in the same manner that any metalheads in Dublin at least will have been told at one point in their lives that Thin Lizzy are a really heavy metal band.

Just out of curiosity, what is everyone's personal view on what it is to be heavy? Is your idea of being heavy to slow things down and allow more space for crushing volume, playing as fast as possible, or just creating the darkest and most uncomfortable soundscapes possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭RC88

47 The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland
    46 Judas Priest - British Steel
    45 Machine Head - Burn My Eyes
    44 Alice in Chains - Dirt
    43 Deftones - Around The Fur
    40 Lamb Of God - Ashes Of The Wake
    34 Megadeth - Rust In Peace
    30 NIN - The Downwards Spiral
    29 Korn - Korn
    27 Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse
    25 Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
    14 Metallica - Master Of Puppets
    13 Rammstein - Sehnsucht
    12 Pantera - Vulgar Display Of Power
    07 Black Flag - Damaged
    06 Mastodon - Leviathan
    02 Black Sabbath - Master Of Reality
    01 Slayer - Reign In Blood

these i agree with , good to see bands like Electric Wizard on there, really good group

but on a heavy albums list the white album(great as it isicon14.gif its not heavy) and a few others over deep purple's machine head or maiden's number of the beast or Motorhead's ace of spades to name a few, even Disraeli Gears or vanilla fudge would have been better picks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I guess it's both subjective and lazy Journalism, no matter what artist you pick, there are 100 other albums or bands you could have chosen

Doesn't have to be metal to be heavy, Fat Of The Land is pretty heavy for an electronic album. In my opinion early Swans are one of the heaviest bands ever and they're certainly not a metal band.
    Well I guess in the context of the Rock & Metal forum it probably would have to be metal to be heavy :). I know you've gone and asked the question about what defines heavy and to be honest it's a tough question to answer. I'd say it nearly deserves it's own thread in the main Music forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

So is this a one off or will it go back to being 'Smash Hits with Guitars' next week with features on Good Charlotte and Fall Out Boy.

If only we could get the TV channel to stop showing pop-punk all day we'll be laughing

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Some of this I agree with, but others is just "what". BMTH aren't heavy, and I don't find bands like The Prodigy, The Beatles or Jimi Hendrix are. Maybe in the confines of their own genres or whatever, but not in rock or metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭charlieharper

That's great!! I haven't bought Kerrang in ages because they were covering alot of **** bands like Fall Out Boy, etc. so I just got sick of reading it but that list looks good. Thanks for the post!!

Don't do anything drastic Charlie, that cold hearted bitch will just do the same thing to you next week.

• Advertisement

Malice wrote: »
    Well I guess in the context of the Rock & Metal forum it probably would have to be metal to be heavy :). I know you've gone and asked the question about what defines heavy and to be honest it's a tough question to answer. I'd say it nearly deserves it's own thread in the main Music forum.
    In this forum it would have to be metal but I'd rather look at heavy music without the restrictions of genres or labels and take it for what it is.

The last time I read Kerrang! was sometime in 2004 and judging by the bands they've been sticking on the cover in years since I have absolutely no urge whatsoever to pick up a copy any time soon. But for the most part that's actually not a bad list from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 metalover

I prefer this new editor than the old one, she just wrote about stupid emo bands.

In this forum it would have to be metal but I'd rather look at heavy music without the restrictions of genres or labels and take it for what it is.
    I agree so hopefully we can get a separate discussion going on that. I've create a thread here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

fücking Q has more of a clue regarding metal than kerrang these days.

l3431cf970000_1_1565.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

viadah wrote: »
    l3431cf970000_1_1565.jpg

That's who came to mind first for me as well

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

BMTH heavier than Obituary? ATR heavier than Morbid Angel?

Er, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

That is one f*cked up list. Looks like they just threw in albums from every scene in metal to try and please everyone. Ah sure we have Bring Me The Horizon for the screamo kids...that must mean we should throw in Bathory's self-titled to make sure we don't piss off the kvlt heads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Nailz wrote: »
    Bring Me The Horizon and Atari Teenage Riot pretty much ruin what is quite a good list of albums. Although, they do have Dopesmoker, great album, fair play.

That Atari Teenage Riot is awesome.Granted,its not metal,but for a techno/metal/industrial crossover it is excellent IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭InigoMontoya

50 heaviest albums without a mention of Neurosis?

Advertisement