Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Defines Heavy Music for You?

Options
  • 13-11-2011 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

This is a spin-off from this thread. I've started up a separate discussion because I'm interested in what defines heavy music for other people. For the sake of clarity I mean heavy in terms of sound, not heavy in terms of lyrical themes for example.

Personally I'd have said something like this would be a typical example of something heavy. For those unfamiliar with the band they use 8 string guitars so their guitars are practically down in bass territory. Combine that with the intricate drum beat and there's some serious heaviness going on!

At the same time, I think something like this would also be pretty heavy despite not featuring a single distorted guitar or double bass drum beat:

So, what about the rest of you? What defines heavy for you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

I think anything with sufficient aggression, drive and energy can be classed as "heavy", it's just that metal tends to tick those boxes most often. Plenty of non-metal artists can be pretty heavy in my opinion, for example Skrillex, Pendulum, Nero and even some songs by pop artists like Lady Gaga, Kesha and LMFAO. In the case of the latter, I think the effect might be somewhat accidental when a minor key and a pounding beat combine to create a heavy sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I can't listen to "heavy music" but I like plenty of loud bands (Weedeater, Electric Wizard, Harvey Milk, Unwound, and so on...) but they all have moments when things chill out or they play things slow and leave space.

Meshuggagh for instance are a fine band I'm sure but there's too much going on, it's too (want for a better word) big and I find it hard to absorb what's going on. Also, as much as I love Sleep and OM I can't get into High on Fire because it's too "heavy"

So I guess for me...

Loud music = bands who change dynamics and while they play loud when needed they put the brakes on too, or Stoner/Doom bands who play heavy but keep it slow.

Heavy Music: fast and 99% of the time consistently loud, usually with too many notes and not enough space.

It's interesting that you drew classical music into the debate but I'm pretty ignorant of it so I didn't comment on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

It's funny as the word heavy insinuates music that would be too much and clunky, usually heavy is something that is not pleasant. But I wouldn't mind that as our language is too moral anyway.

In the context of music of course its difficult to say what it means to us as there is an acceptance of "heavy" music is usually related to metal.
    Other musical pieces can be quite layered, loud and fast, sometimes even angry but yet to me their still not heavy. That wouldn't be the word I'd use.

Now if I'm thinking heavy is metal, perhaps because its the most appropriate word by association, the funny thing here is when does a metal song become heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Im gonna try for a definition of 'heavy' from the properties of the sound itself. Maybe dissonance defines heavy music? Density of the harmonies/dissonances make it heavy?

Malice, you brought Wagner into this - definitely a heavy composer. He used lots of dissonance and started to break tonality in a big way, and used it all for great dramatic effect. Then Stravinsky went a bit further, around the same time Atonality started happening (Schoenberg and all those lads). Check out how dissonant the chords are here;

Then with metal and rock music, distorted guitars are almost always there and almost always contributing the riff or the solo or whatever. All the upper partials of the fundamental notes that the distortion boosts up ads to the dissonance, single notes are way fuller and even perfect fifths get dissonant - anything closer than that is noisey.

This is all supporting what I just realised Yesterday; the heaviest album I ever listened to is Venetians Snares' Winnipeg Is a Frozen ****hole

So much of it is just drums, but it's still so dissonant. Those huge distorted kicks have so many extra frequencies that get so close together, it all comes out as kinda difficult to take all at once, maybe as aggressive... Obviously it being really fast helps, but i don't think that's integral to it being heavy.

I'm typing this in a lecture, my mate next to me wrote "Heavy: Music that is not easily digestible by non-fanatics?". What do we reckon? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

For me heavy music has to give me that feeling of being crushed under a weight or just being pounded to the ground. It is certainly not restricted to metal though.

An example of crushing:

A slow tempo is key here in this song and it allows more space for volume, which in this case is taken up by some of the heaviest guitars you will ever hear, giving you that crushing feeling.

An example of being pounded to the ground:

This track is like a full-on assault on your senses, with huge, intense-sounding electronic beats and a very dissonant and distorted feel. It's punishing but still very much controlled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

would people consider enter shikari heavy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Not really, why?

Absolutely, yes. All the elements are there: use of the whole sonic space, hard beats, agression, energy. Especially songs like No Sssweat, Antwerpen and Return to Energiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Ah no mate, these are hard beats

Nailz wrote: »
    Ah no mate, these are hard beats

They are indeed, but I think one of the points being raised in this thread is that there's more to "heavy" than pummelling double bass, incessant chugs and anguished screaming. While I myself enjoy all of the above, and they certainly do amount to a heavy sound, there are countless other musical combinations that can produce the same result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Joe_Dull wrote: »
    Plenty of non-metal artists can be pretty heavy in my opinion, for example Skrillex, Pendulum, Nero and even some songs by pop artists like Lady Gaga, Kesha and LMFAO.
    I've heard of Skrillex but do you have examples of stuff by the others that you've mentioned that you'd class as heavy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Meshuggah is on the very heavy end of the spectrum, unless you go into uber death gore metal or whatever. I would classify heavy as being slammed in the face with crushing noise. Wagner would probably be a metal musician in the present day, but Ride of Valkryries soars and is stirring as opposed to being heavy, that's my take on it anyway. If it were performed by a power metal band I would say yeah that's heavy. For me, mentally heavy music should crush and quake, its more a modern phenomenon with older equivalents. Ride of the Valkryries makes me want to fly in my mind. But I can certainly see how you can call it heavy music, I don't strictly disagree with this interpretation but would just classify it as classical moreso than heavy music.

Of course there are gradations of heavy, some beatles songs are heavy on the scale of heavy, like Helter Skelter, actually Helter Skelter effectively sounds like a heavy metal song to me, there really isn't much difference imo in the execution, style of vocals and even the semi tonal increments to say its not a proto heavy metal song. Classical music though, I just can't say its heavy though I can go along with some pieces being on the heaviness scale or at least parallel to it, for example that piece which was used on the Apprentice advert sounds grim, angry and relentless, therefore heavy.

For me these types of music are on the really heavy end of the spectrum

This song for example brings out the relentless grimness of the original Burzum cover but expands on it, the guitars are crushing, the atmosphere is gloomy and frozen over, hence heavy.

This song is a cover of Gore Torture's Tactically Dangerous Cannibal Commando, apart from the Arnie interjection, its relentlessly aggressive and heavy, with unrelenting blast beats, shredding and growled guttaral vocals, heavy.

or this, it shoulds like 3000 tonnes of crushing German steel, the guitar sound is something which I think is very cool, it just sounds ridiculously heavy.

This song just sounds like 4.46 of rage, hence heavy.

Or this, it sounds like a controlled series of detonations

or this

Another band which I would mention as heavy are Esoteric, in fact they are so heavy I can't listen to them because I end up with their songs ruining my day, making me feel down or ill at ease.

Malice wrote: »
    I've heard of Skrillex but do you have examples of stuff by the others that you've mentioned that you'd class as heavy?

Sure Malice :)

Pendulum

Nero

Lady Gaga

Kesha

LMFAO

Again, taking a pretty loose definition of heavy here, but I'd consider all of them "headbangable".

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

'Heavy' to me is not necessarily 'metal'. It's more of an atmosphere, a feeling you get when listening to the music. Something that pins you down when you listen to it, for lack of a better explanation. Definitely not something you can get up and dance to. Meshuggah and Gojira would be good examples of the metal side of things when it comes to this. IMO, the term 'Heavy Metal' is used by non-metal fans to describe music thats more metal than Ac/dc or the likes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Serious lack of breakcore in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Dub step is too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

And somehow I still dance to this stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Seeing Khanate live was a heavy experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

These two tracks from my favorite album of all time, especially Atrocity Exhibition:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Alot of Joy Division to me is stark and oppressive, don't get me wrong it's why I love them.
    Heaviest suff I have would be from early Earth, Sunn O))), Khanate - all brutal drone/doom/dark ambient.

Advertisement