Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What will happen to Ireland when Joe Duffy leaves us.

Options
  • 11-11-2011 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭

Well. Im not going to lie i strongly dislike the man and his voice. his show is the most depressing show on air IMO.

But simple question what will happen when he no longer can go on. who will Ireland talk to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Probably Brenda O Donoghue. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

All that remains are memories. I remember a time of chaos. Ruined dreams. But most of all, We remember Joe Duffy. The man we called "Joe". To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time. When the world was powered by the Liveline. And the country sprouted great cities of pipe and steel. Gone now, swept away. They built a house of straw. The Liveline sputtered and stopped. RTE management talked and talked and talked. But nothing could stem the avalanche. Their world crumbled. The cities exploded. A whirlwind of looting, a firestorm of fear. Men began to feed on men. On the roads it was a white line nightmare. Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the roads, ready to wage war for a tank of juice. And in this maelstrom of decay, ordinary men were battered and smashed. Men like Joe. The warrior Joe. In the roar of an engine, he broke his leg. And became a shell of a man, a burnt out, desolate man, a man haunted by the demons of his past, a man who wandered out into the wasteland. And it was here, in this blighted place, that he learned to live again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭HugoBradyBrown

Well. Im not going to lie i strongly dislike the man and his voice. his show is the most depressing show on air IMO.

But simple question what will happen when he no longer can go on. who will Ireland talk to.

Yes, it's got a tendency towards the sombre. However, I think the tone is set by the plain people of Ireland, who phone in and who drive the agenda. If people like ourselves were to use the service for happy talk, the tone of the programme would change. I imagine that Joe would be as content to produce his distinctive style of radio based on upbeat material as he is with the Paddy O'Gorman-style content that washes up on his console these days. Who says that happy radio can't win a Prix?

For upbeat and positive radio, I would recommend that we listen to Marty in the Morning, with Marty Whelan, on RTE Lyric FM each weekday from 7 to 10 am. This is uplifting, witty radio at its best, with musical interludes drawn from a wide range of sources. Top drawer stuff all round!

:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

However, I think the tone is set by the plain people of Ireland, who phone in and who drive the agenda.

I dont believe this to be true.. This is what it should be, and to some extent what it used to be... But the agenda is predominantly driven by the presenter, researchers and RTE...

Presenter - Joe has his pet issues.. trains, anti republican stuff, any subject with which he thinks he can align himself with the northside working classes.. If Joe wants something on air, it will get on air (regardless of who calls in wanting to talk about something else)

Researchers - How many times have you heard.. "Joe your researchers called me"... So it depends how many nutjobs that the researchers can hook in a morning of cold calling also..

RTE - They completely ignored the Gerry Ryan issue cos he was one of their own, and have a general reluctance to discuss anything to do with the organisation, staff remuneration or anything remotely negative about the company.. Also, Liveline seems to have become very cowardly over the last while as well, since they got sued after that lunatic made the remarks about Martin Cullen..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

the sooner joe goes the better. alot of the calls are just drivel and half the time idiots who have done idiotic things looking for sympathy (like the one who met a moroccan half her age in a chat room married him brought him to ireland and was stuunned when he did a legger here). The show is driven by Joe and his apathy towards stupidity, whining, and oaps with SFA else to do. In the past he has also been irresponsible by letting callers on talking about banks having no money and the irish ferries sailing on a windy night

• Advertisement

From my (somewhat limited) knowledge of the management of Talk to Joe, production will phone the incoming caller back, so that the cost of the call is absorbed by RTE, and to allow for the most interesting sequencing of calls in the overall architecture of the programme. It would be unethical for researchers to be, as it were, lifting stones and looking into sewers by cold-calling TV taxpayers, merely in search of a story.

And OAPs are the lifeblood of daytime radio, both as contributors and as listeners. (Some will jocularly come back at me now and say 'and as presenters', but I would not like to say so.) With a lifetime of experience behind them, OAPs are the ideal people to talk through Joe's broadcasting organ to a huge audience of other OAPs. This is what Public Service Broadcasting means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Nonsense Hugo...if you listen regularly enough you'll notice the same talking heads crop up on similar issues over the months, and you can only think that they've been kept on file as the go to man (or woman) on a certain issue, and usually one that had a perspective that suited the show's bias on that day.
    Of course there are the random callers/texters ,whom they call back to establish a correct phone number for legal reasons... but there are also the people who JonathanAnon refers to where the show starts off with them...the guy with the bewk on the ritual murder a few weeks back for instance and plenty of other examples.
    The show is editorially lead, under the guise of being a vox pop and personally I don't like Duffy's overbearing influence on where it decides to shine it's light.
    AFAIR it wasn't like that in Finucane's days (open to correction here)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Wertz wrote: »
    Nonsense Hugo...if you listen regularly enough you'll notice the same talking heads crop up on similar issues over the months, and you can only think that they've been kept on file as the go to man (or woman) on a certain issue, and usually one that had a perspective that suited the show's bias on that day.
    Of course there are the random callers/texters ,whom they call back to establish a correct phone number for legal reasons... but there are also the people who JonathanAnon refers to where the show starts off with them...the guy with the bewk on the ritual murder a few weeks back for instance and plenty of other examples.
    The show is editorially lead, under the guise of being a vox pop and personally I don't like Duffy's overbearing influence on where it decides to shine it's light.
    AFAIR it wasn't like that in Finucane's days (open to correction here)...

are you saying finucane isnt overbearing :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The duffer provides a valuable public service. When considering the great questions of the day it is, in my humble opinion, our duty to tune into the whineline at least once a month. Just to hear what the occupies the shared halfmind of our nation's idiots. Further to this, the show acts as a pressure valve. If they weren't whining to the duffer, they might be whining at any of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Hugo, JonAnon, of this parish, has brilliantly archived some of Joe's finest performances along with other RTE superstars:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F97i0tP3VUI

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

irishh_bob wrote: »
    are you saying finucane isnt overbearing :eek:

Not as liveline host and not in the same way that Duffy is (I mean overbearing in terms of influence on the content and direction the show takes)

That said I wasn't as avid a listener way back then and maybe I'm wrong...liveline seemed to be a lot more about the Joe Soap who'd phoned in then and the host was simply a host.

lol I listened to the Shane Curry thing again (this football is muck)...I heard it live that day but didn't appreciate how Duffy took such a haughty tone...you can hear the fake deference in his voice, the patronising "what would you know" intonations and then takes offence on the paedophile snub (which he knew exactly how it was meant, but still uses it as a reason to feign outrage). Pathetic really.
    Oh goal...nice one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

All that remains are memories. I remember a time of chaos. Ruined dreams. But most of all, We remember Joe Duffy. The man we called "Joe". To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time. When the world was powered by the Liveline. And the country sprouted great cities of pipe and steel. Gone now, swept away. They built a house of straw. The Liveline sputtered and stopped. RTE management talked and talked and talked. But nothing could stem the avalanche. Their world crumbled. The cities exploded. A whirlwind of looting, a firestorm of fear. Men began to feed on men. On the roads it was a white line nightmare. Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the roads, ready to wage war for a tank of juice. And in this maelstrom of decay, ordinary men were battered and smashed. Men like Joe. The warrior Joe. In the roar of an engine, he broke his leg. And became a shell of a man, a burnt out, desolate man, a man haunted by the demons of his past, a man who wandered out into the wasteland. And it was here, in this blighted place, that he learned to live again...

JoeMadMaxDuffy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

mike65 wrote: »

JoeMadMaxDuffy.jpg
    Classic. I doff my hat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

SEPT 23 1989 set it up* I just added the picture! :)

* he was parodying the opening to Mad Max 2

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

Dedicated to all those who never actually got to talk on the 'liveline'

The lyrics are in the info on the song's youtube page.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What will happen to Ireland when Joe Duffy leaves us?

The IQ of the nation will rise a few points.

I suppose this entire thread is talking about a theoretical danger, and that there is no imminent prospect of Joe hanging up his cans(?)

I have heard nothing authoritative to suggest that there's any danger of his going to the BBC or anywhere else. Does anyone have anything firmer?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭rednik

RTE could put €300.000 + to better use.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭caddy2

people wont have anywhere to publically moan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

good lord when i saw the headline of the thread, i thought the great man was about to leave us :eek:, it was then i realised how much i'd miss that caring tone of voice, his compassion for (his idea of) the poor and working class, his fight for justice for all those (he thinks) wronged and of course his handling of possibly the greatest show on the planet, Funny Friday :D, in the words of the hothouse flowers ''dont go, dont leave us now now now'' :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

I dont believe this to be true.. This is what it should be, and to some extent what it used to be... But the agenda is predominantly driven by the presenter, researchers and RTE...

Presenter - Joe has his pet issues.. trains, anti republican stuff, any subject with which he thinks he can align himself with the northside working classes.. If Joe wants something on air, it will get on air (regardless of who calls in wanting to talk about something else)

Also, Liveline seems to have become very cowardly over the last while as well, since they got sued after that lunatic made the remarks about Martin Cullen..

With you on his pet subjects plus every few months like clockwork we return to the ole chestnut of "suicide"

Re the Cullen incident I never figured out why Liveline do not run with the Dump Button delay as per http://www.eventide.com/AudioDivision/Products/BroadcastProducts/BD600.aspx
    I'm sure it would pay back in no time.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Greenman wrote: »
    Re the Cullen incident I never figured out why Liveline do not run with the Dump Button delay as per I'm sure it would pay back in no time.:)

There's a bit of ambiguity over this... I was pretty sure they introduced a seven second delay after that incident happened.. but Joe said in a recent interview that it was completely live.. :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,523 ✭✭✭squonk

I remember Bertie or another FF minister came out with the line at one point that 'LiveLine was simply fully of moaners'. It actually might have been Bertie. I'm no fan of the B-Man or FF in general but I think they were dead on in this regard.

For the few times I have listened, it's been a lot of old people whinging over stupid things that only matter if you've sweet FA else to be doing. He also has a penchant for getting grieving mothers on talking about the loss of a son or daughter through either drugs, road traffic accidents or some other random event, and we're treated to them appealing for help while holding back their tears. Seriously, that's not what I'd call good radio. It actually comes across as exploitative. Yes, the people get some help but I don't think it's fair to expect the callers to go on air in that state in order to get it.

I think alot of people are fed up with Duffy and Liveline, look at the abuse he gets in the liveline megathreads or even on twitter, the sooner he swans off the better

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

HBB does not get it.

neris wrote: »
    I think alot of people are fed up with Duffy and Liveline, look at the abuse he gets in the liveline megathreads or even on twitter, the sooner he swans off the better

The problem would be that if Joe went and, assuming there was nobody fit to fit his shoes could be found within (itself rather unlikely, it has to be admitted), causing the Liveline to go dead, someone in the radio-for-profit sector would probably start up a pale copy of the programme, without the public interest motive of the existing highly popular show. The fact that the Liveline thrives if Joe takes a break shows, I suspect, that it will stay alive-and-kicking, no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭binxeo

If he is gone good luck and good ridden's, can't stand the man!!!

theres loads of those shows on local/regional radio stations already. In dublin fm104, 98fm, spin, q102 all have phone in shows which are a bit more hard hitting and callers are challenged for stupidity or beliefs and im sure other cities around the country have somthing similar but Joe Duffy is to nicey nice with his "ya poor thing" & "god bless"

neris wrote: »
    theres loads of those shows on local/regional radio stations already. In dublin fm104, 98fm, spin, q102 all have phone in shows which are a bit more hard hitting and callers are challenged for stupidity or beliefs and im sure other cities around the country have somthing similar but Joe Duffy is to nicey nice with his "ya poor thing" & "god bless"

Would we not agree that, among other groups, Joe deals with older people, who are used to a more sensitive, more caring, more polite manner?

And, on the original matter, I think we should avoid any criticism of his voice. His is clear and his speech is carefully enunciated, and, interestingly, he is understood easily by people throughout the land. It is to his eternal credit that he has not chosen to conform to a DART accent, as he might easily have done, and that he has remained true to his roots as he rose to the heights of radio and television staredom. (His is an interesting autobiography, too, I might observe.) I believe his voice demonstrates his personal integrity, as much as what he says.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭duiggers

The most probable outcome when joeeee duffyyyyy leaves is all the whining people who love nothing but a good pointless moan and to be heard moaning will self combust holding it in

Advertisement