Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Approaching companies about bad website?

Options
  • 11-11-2011 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I am a web developer and have many years experience. I believe any professional business should have a professional website to go with their business as it is the best method we have for advertising our services.

It is accessible 24 hours a day 7 days a week to anyone with the website address and creates a platform like no other for advertising our products and services. It is available on computers, televisions and Phones (which most of us carry all day, every day) and people can learn about your business while in bed, watching TV, eating meals etc...

My question is this, would anyone have any idea how to approach a very professional company with a really bad website?! I know many business owners are very proud of their website (much like their business model or adverts for the business) so telling business owners (even with a high degree of subtlety) their website could do with a revamp sometimes upsets the person. The main reason is that they have stood over the website, they believe it is good and every business owner has a degree (from a little to a lot) of input about how it should look.

How can I approach this as I feel I could help a number of businesses in my area but I am unsure about how to approach this. Maybe some advice from other business owners would help me.

Thanks for any help given.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

While you're planning on helping people, they won't be able to help themselves but be skeptical when a web designer is saying their website is poor.

I'd look at their industry and see if is a competitor doing well from having an online presence. Explain how you can help them achieve similar results through a new design/web marketing.

Cold calling like you're planning on doing can be tough so I wouldn't go gung ho in to it without research on the potential client and their website/industry/competitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭MyBusinez.com

Thanks Kinetic^,
    That's very good advice and also in general sales also which is great. Exactly what I needed. Thanks again. I will try this.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

I also design websites and agree with everything you said.

However people who don't know a good website from a bad website....there is a reason for that.

Nobody likes to talk about something they are not comfortable about and have little interest or knowledge of.....it makes them look unintelligent.

They won't respond or take kindly to an approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

It's a very awkward area, owners do naturally cherish their possessions. Anything that appears to diss previous work doesn't usually endear them to you.

The trick is to be able to demonstrate that you can add real value to the business: if you were to do this, you would get more business because (insert reason which sparks up their light bulb moment). This involves Sales skills which are something sorely lacking in web solution providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭buzz11

I've found that website designers are not problem solvers but actually create more issues for business owners than they solve. They want the business owner to write the copy, find the images and so on. Maybe this is just my experience but I've found it more troublesome than expected, so its a job that I avoid.

I also tend to get an email a week with the starting line "...Hi I've noticed your website is not as...." I hit delete.

• Advertisement

buzz11 wrote: »
    I've found that website designers are not problem solvers but actually create more issues for business owners than they solve. They want the business owner to write the copy, find the images and so on. Maybe this is just my experience but I've found it more troublesome than expected, so its a job that I avoid.

I also tend to get an email a week with the starting line "...Hi I've noticed your website is not as...." I hit delete.

Business Owners know nothing about Web Design.....Web Designers know nothing about Business Owners Companies.....who do you expect to inform the Web Designers about their company?

If you went to a Printer and said you wanted a full page advert......would you expect them to pull "copy" out of the air or would you write out exactly what you want?

Talk Sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Buzz11 out of interests whats your website?

• Site Banned Posts: 67 ✭✭Lemmewinks

I've always been shocked at how sh*t the Power City website is for a big enough company:
    http://www.powercity.ie/

Terrible - must be some sort of nepotism.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

OP, you need to look at the oldest sales technique of all time - get the customer to admit to themselves (and to you) that they need what you're offering. You could do this through approaching them in a subtle way and showcasing your previous work for websites/businesses in their area. E.g. if they are say a recruitment site, show your ultra-cool, slick, professional design for a recruitment company you worked with, etc. This could get them thinking.

Another way of approaching it could be to focus on a different, but inherently related, aspect of their site. For example, explain how you could add value in improving their site's usability - which in turn will lead to more conversions/sales/inquiries. Again, backing it up with testimonials and/or hard stats showing results achieved with other companies. This could have the effect of getting them thinking indirectly about improving the site as a whole. 'Oh we could possibly get more sales if we move this here...and that there...like your man did with that other site...oh, maybe the whole site needs a revamp...'

You get the idea anyway. Above all else don't diss their current site or be too forward/imposing, needless to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AIP2508

OP you have to be careful to avoid the catch 22 situation!

Many companies invest heavily in their websites - as previous posters mentioned if you approach them on the "your website is bad" and cold calling you will experience major hostility.

Are you solely web design or do you have more IT programming etc capabilities / know people who do? Providing a more all round service would work in your favour.
    Lemmewinks wrote: »
    I've always been shocked at how sh*t the Power City website is for a big enough company:
    http://www.powercity.ie/

Terrible - must be some sort of nepotism.

Lemmewinks, bit of a statement you are making there? Certainly not a flashy website but works. What's so "sh*t" about it?

• Advertisement

I think he is talking Design....and I agree with him 100%.....the design is really bad and outdated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Yeah Powercity's home page is just way too busy. I'd guess that when people go to an electronics site they have a product in mind, they're not there to browse washing machines and then take a look at microwaves then hoovers, etc. They're there to compare various TV's vis a vis other sites. Simple graphics displaying each product class on the home page with navigation side bars would work much better. There would still be room for special offers / sales etc.

Also though to remember is that Powercity is a bit of a shout it out type retailer. It might actually suit them and their modus operandi to have a website as busy as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭jmcc

I believe any professional business should have a professional website to go with their business
    That's where you are wrong. The main function of a business website is to sell or advertise the products or services of that business. If it does the job, it doesn't matter if it offends your sensibilities. Now if you can help them to sell more, then it might be worth pitching your services.
    The main reason is that they have stood over the website,
    See the point above? The reason they tend to stand over the site is because it does what they want it to do for them. You are approaching this from your viewpoint that you offer some superior design services but they are not interested - they want to keep something that works or get something that gets more business.
    How can I approach this as I feel I could help a number of businesses in my area but I am unsure about how to approach this.
    The key element would be pitching it so that the customer could make more money and get more business as a result of your work.

Regards...jmcc

• Site Banned Posts: 67 ✭✭Lemmewinks

AIP2508 wrote: »
    Lemmewinks, bit of a statement you are making there? Certainly not a flashy website but works. What's so "sh*t" about it?

It's a horrible website that hasn't changed in 10 years. Horrible layout, horrible design, tacky basic fonts. it's an eyesore. The fact that it "works" is only half of the importance of it - they're projecting a cheap, tacky & dated image with it. It needs a revamp by a proper designer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

no offence to you OP - but a good website wont always get an increase in sales.

I doubt very much that companies will be very interested unless you can prove or guarantee an increase (or will do the job for free)

as someone else said many business owners dont know or understand web design, SEO etc ...in the same way you may not understand the relationship between sales and pastel/solid colours.

in order for you to do what you intend to do you need to do a lot of work and hope the business' involved can understand what you will be trying to explain to them and wont simply turn to their web people and tell them to do the same as what you have said.

I have no web design or programming experience but I would like to think that I understand business, I have been running my own photography business for a number of years, for me a website would not increase any sales but could act as a portfolio site to help people see some of the images I have created - Generally I don't sell to the public as they are not willing to pay a decent price - photography is so undervalued.

My own website could do with a revamp but I don't have the money to pay someone to do it - unfortunately, web designers and programmers are like photographers ....undervalued !

With so many programmes out there and WYSIWYG websites and with so many digital cameras almost everyone thinks they can do a top job and its difficult to find a good one who can do the job at a fair price.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

I don't see it as a viable business marketing idea. I suspect most of the site owners you may be looking into would already know if their site is performing or not and would not appreciate and certainly would not give their business to you on the basis that you think their site needs to be redesigned.

The only way it would work as a sales pitch is to prey on insecurities - show how a competitor is making x% more from their site and even then you would not be guaranteed work.

Take powercity for example - very clever well run company with a very specific marketing style. You can be sure their website has been very well thought out. Similar to Ryanair site. Links busy to some but works for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭jmcc

Lemmewinks wrote: »
    It's a horrible website that hasn't changed in 10 years. Horrible layout, horrible design, tacky basic fonts.
    But immediately identifiable and usable.
    it's an eyesore.
    A quick question: did you learn web design in college/university?
    The fact that it "works" is only half of the importance of it
    Not to the people who run the business. If it works and shifts product, then it is doing the job. Most people in business don't give a damn for the aesthetics of web design if the website earns money.
    they're projecting a cheap, tacky & dated image with it.
    They are projecting a stack 'em high and sell 'em cheap image where the customer gets value for money.
    It needs a revamp by a proper designer.
    Most "proper" designers should not be left near websites that make money because pretty sites often distract users from the products. Ugly sells because it forces the user to make a decision rapidly.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

I dont really like the website either, its too tacky, too cluttered and just too gaudy. I wouldn't waste my time on it, unless it was for a very specific item that could not be found elsewhere online.
    Re: OP
    never ever and I repeat never bad mouth a business owners website as being bad.
    therein is your first rule of sales.
    As being brought up by other posters, using this technique will be a one way ticket out the door.
    And that goes for all types of sales by b2b.
    Just guide them slowly on how your website can improve its standing by getting more people to buy, eg having a poop up with a buy one get other half off type of offer and go from there.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

And here's the thread that sparked that in the well off: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63826519

Some posters here are making the 2 classic web design mistakes:
    • equating 'pretty' visual design with web design that works for business
    • making sales is what puts money in the till and food on the table, not a pretty site

The PowerCity site is a good business site that intergrates nicely with their offline activities with consistent branding. People using the site are in shopping mode and the site enables them to fulfill their purpose ie. make the purchase = sales job done. Too many designers damagingly overestress the visual, neglecting the 'how it works'. There's a lot of truth in what jmcc says, pretty distracts, ugly sells.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

You want to approach smaller businesses, such as hotels and restaurants.
    Their websites are usually abysmal. And it's actually quite simple.
    Trojan wrote: »
    What is this. I don't even

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Icepick wrote: »
    You want to approach smaller businesses, such as hotels and restaurants.
    Their websites are usually abysmal. And it's actually quite simple.

What is this. I don't even

I think this is a brillliant site, loads to keep you smiling about on it from whethers gum drops to cash giveaways.....

Its exactly how I want my site to turn out to differentiate from the other stuffy ones........
    Well done ling, she'll probably reactivate her username to come on again as she seems to keep a tight control over her name!!!

As regards powercity maybe I was a bit harsh on it, its adequate and it is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 HappyKate

Can I put my 5 cents also? :)

I see the same problem as OP but in graphic design. There are loads of terribly looking shop fascias, business cards, websites out there but only some of the owners would agree that their business style is horrible. Other ones would say they have a nice style even if they know it's not true :)

Regarding websites, in my opinion website will look well and work well when it's made by 3 separate professionals:

• graphic designer
    • web-designer
    • Seo-expert

Being web-designer doesn't mean being graphic designer or Seo-expert.
    When each professional does his work separately and professionally - we'll see more successfull and professional websites in the Internet.

Regarding Powercity and Lingscars I think the owners of the websites should say thank you to their Seo-experts (if they do good e-sales) rather than their graphic designer. I see that there's a good and unique design idea in both websites but performance is very poor. Gif-animation just annoys me :)))

And some more cents...

OP: In my opinion business owners don't want to invest in websites if they are making good profit in the internet and no matter how their website looks like.
    There was good suggestion in the thread regarding market research and showing them HOW can you improve the sales/recognition by offering your service.
    The cost of your service is very important as well. The business owner we'll be looking for a nice price now.

Kate

"SEO Expert" is another title thats banded around too freely these days.

I had to get a particular website into the first 5 search results and did so spending little after about 3-4 weeks with adwords.

It was my first time trying SEO and it was pretty easy.

"SEO Experts" charge "SEO Experts" prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Hi All,
    I am a web developer and have many years experience. I believe any professional business should have a professional website to go with their business as it is the best method we have for advertising our services.

It is accessible 24 hours a day 7 days a week to anyone with the website address and creates a platform like no other for advertising our products and services. It is available on computers, televisions and Phones (which most of us carry all day, every day) and people can learn about your business while in bed, watching TV, eating meals etc...

My question is this, would anyone have any idea how to approach a very professional company with a really bad website?! I know many business owners are very proud of their website (much like their business model or adverts for the business) so telling business owners (even with a high degree of subtlety) their website could do with a revamp sometimes upsets the person. The main reason is that they have stood over the website, they believe it is good and every business owner has a degree (from a little to a lot) of input about how it should look.

How can I approach this as I feel I could help a number of businesses in my area but I am unsure about how to approach this. Maybe some advice from other business owners would help me.

Thanks for any help given.

Would you believe a car salesman who told you you needed a new car?

cormee wrote: »

I take your point and agree but compare like with like.....Would you allow 100 people to test drive your car to test if it is bad......because 100 people can navigate to your bad website very easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 HappyKate

cormee wrote: »

It depends on what car are you driving :)
    Old car brings you nothing but expenses. And yes, I would compare the old car with unprofessional website, for example like this one http://www.personalisedbabygifts.ie/
    I really don't want to offend the owner of the website, but I think she/he could have more potential buyers if it looked better, IMO. It's not interesting and attractive for me, although I'm a mum and I spend some time browsing the internet looking for a similar stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

I take your point and agree but compare like with like.....Would you allow 100 people to test drive your car to test if it is bad......because 100 people can navigate to your bad website very easily.

I don't understand your point, sorry, but I don't think it relates to mine - my point was that, I would take what is essentially a sales pitch thinly masked as an opinion, with a grain of salt. If a hairdresser told me I needed a haircut, and she just happened to have her scissors, or if a car salesman told me I needed a new car, and he could sell me a great one - I'd be "thanks, but no thanks", regardless of the state of my car or my hair.

Advertisement